Starting Small! My 1 week aim
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Starting Small! My 1 week aim

I've been getting some good deals lately and I'm going to try to stockpile. But I've decided to aim for 1 week of everything in the pantry (outside of really good deals). I have to day I feel great when looking a few bits put away in the pantry, it feels like money in the bank or am i being weird about it??

So my first priorities will be:
    Spelt flour - white x3
    Spelt flour - wholemeal x1
    Plane flour x2
    Baking powder x1 - done
    Sugar x1 - done
    Tea x1 - done
    Coffee x1 - done
    Bread x4
    Pasta x1 - done
    Rice 1kg x1 - done
    Butter Real x2 - done
    Cheese cheddar x2
    Raisins x2 - done
    Sultanas x2 - done
    Peas x2
    Sweetcorn x1 - done
    Bacon
    Chicken
    Sausages
    Tinned Sardines x3 - done
    Tinned Tomatos x6 - done
    Tinned Kidney beans x6 - done

Fruit and veg will be purchased fresh. But if I can all of the above in the pantry I'll be delighted There will be more & i have more, spices, pickles, extracts, and others.

Should I have a pantry/stockpile list? How do you keep track of what you have or aim it get?. Once I get a week done I'll aim for 2, then 3 etc. but I want to start small

I'm also thinking that it might be sensible to bend the rules a wee bit eg if my flour is on special offer then buy as much as my pantry budget will allow? What are your tips and trick for this? Any help appreciated on this!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Stocking up your pantry is a great idea. Somewhere here at the Village is a thread about it with good ideas/suggestions.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It is literally money in the bank w/ prices rising and good to fall back on if unemployment strikes.
    Careful on the non white flours. Some tend to go rancid rather fast and need to be in the freezer.
    Most things freeze.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I put alot of my stockpile in food saver bags, where the air cant get to them, I put noodles in air tight bags. I have found that flour goes rancid, even in sealed bags after 9 mo. I also can so alot of my fruit and veggies , so they are in jars. You can't go wrong, you can save alot of money, by getting it on sale.
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Piggy-backing on what fw said, I freeze white and dark flours in my chest freezer. My mom used to freeze potato chips---she served them to us and we never knew till she finally told us. You can freeze cookies, most dessert items, even boxed cake mixes.
    Somebody here at the Village freezes eggs but I can't remember how it's done. And of course meats.

Yes, buying things when they're on sale and stocking up does save a lot of money.

Do you have a big freezer?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I freeze eggs, mix them up so they are scrambled and freeze them in a ice cube trays. My tray is 2 cubes = 1 egg. Thaw them out for use. It works great, Stock up when they are on sale.
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Stock piling is one of those things where something different works for everyone. You kind of learn over time how much and what to bulk up on through trial and error. But best rule of thumb- if you don't use it somewhat regularly, don't bother with it.

I always feel happy looking at my stockpile, too. Living in these harsh New England winters, when a big storm's headed our way, I can sit tight at home when (it seems) most of the world is rushing off to battle the crowds at the store to stock up. I privately chuckle when friends describe the battle scene of a big store a few hours before a big snow flies. I just don't have to bother with that, because we're always well-prepared to hunker down for a bit!

For me, the two 'biggies' that keep me involved in maintaining a moderate stockpile are a) emergency preparedness and b) keeping my budget reasonable. Winter storms aren't the only type of emergency that can make a trip to the store highly unpleasant or completely infeasible, so I feel far better knowing my family will be all set for a bit if something comes up. Sure, we might get tired of canned soups, pasta, rice and oatmeal, but our bellies will be full!

Love the freezing eggs tip!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

ILC I have a large freezer. We used to put away 2 pigs a year & must admit it's looking fairly sad at the moment. I never thought of freezing half the stuff everybody mentioned, flour and eggs, what great ideas
    Khaski I never thought of getting in things for an emergency per say, that sounds like a great idea. I'll have to think on it though, batteries, water, medicine etc. Will focus on building up a weeks worth first & then move onto that.
    Pintree, I have my own chickens but if I have a surplus I normally give them to the dogs (gives their coats a lovely shine) but they will be out of luck now, I'm definitely going to freeze them. Sometimes my wee ladies take a break in the winter & to have eggs frozen is just sensible, Thanks a million.
    FW, ta for the the flour tip, we were thinking of seeing if buying in bulk would be sensible for us but I was wondering if it would keep, another item for the freezer

Lost to think about, will pull together a plan today

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You can freeze milk too. We get milk in plastic jugs so we pour out just a little before putting the cap back on and freezing. Thaw in the refrigerator.

It's nice to have it on hand during inclement weather.

I've even thought about freezing dry dog food and cat food, but I need to research that.