How much stockpile is enough?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default How much stockpile is enough?

men just don't understand women! Steve has been making comments on my huge stockpiles of dove soap,dove shampoo,fabric softner,toothpaste,noxzema,baby wipes,Johnson and Johnson baby wash etc....

There's some coupons out right now for save $1 off any one Dawn complete....I used one tonight and it was $1.97 at Wal-Mart..after my coupon it was 97¢...I thought of getting some more of the coupons (from ebay or a coupon board) and buying more.He said all my "stuff" was becoming to cluttered
    I have 2 huge cabinets in my laundry room,with doors,and it's all organized and not in plain view.I mean for real....who looks in the laundry room anyway.and even if they did,I'm proud of my free or nearly free "stuff".

He says I'm addicted to couponing..>Am I going overboard or should I continue what i'm doing if i have the room for the items?
    It's not like Dawn has a expiration date so it won't go bad....

Any comments?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I stockpile too, dh just rolls his eyes and doesn't say a thing anymore... He says I have an OCD...... Maybe I do...... I spend so many years doing without that I tend to stockpile things...... But I get such great deals or get them for free...... I just bought 25 lbs of sugar.... Good deal though... Oh well, he has never done without a thing in years so he stays quiet about it ....... Good for you Tammy !!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I say go for it! you never know when money will get tight and yu will be glad you have your stock pile!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I will stockpile as much as I have room for! Since I have a LOT of storage, I have things stockpiled everywhere. For example, I have a case of corn, a case of peaches, some peanut butter, fruit cocktail, a case of ramen and several boxes of cereal under my bed. When things are tight, we don't have to worry!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LOL! My husband actually said "honey, just because you have a coupon doesn't mean you have to use it" when it would make something cost just pennies and is something that we use. I have lots of Dove soap, Suave shampoos, conditioners, hairspray, etc.. I noticed though today that he didn't complian that I used coupons for ACTII popcorn B1G1F while we were at Walmart. Maybe it's because HE likes to eat the stuff!!!! I won't use a coupon for something that I don't use unless it makes the item free and then I will give it away to someone who does.
    Hang in there Tammy!!!!

Spendthrift Guru aka KarlaBob Karla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good for you..I'd keep it up!!
    We've had to many times in our lives and marriage that if it wasn't for what we had stocked we would have been sorry.
    I'm now having to start over again and I hope to gets lots of stuff stock-piled.
    With the economy the way it is I'd keep at it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Everyone, kids included roll their eyes at me in this household too, but I just look the other way. I have very little money to spend on myself, and stockpiling is like a hobby to me- gives me a rush when I get that great deal- and I'm doing something good for the family in the process. Occasionally I will goof and get something they won't eat just cause it's a good deal, but for the most part, everything I bring home gets used up at some point. Tell your husband the whole point is to never pay full price for anything, and by stockpiling you can accomplish that goal. Men- geezh....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Tammy I agree, keep stockpiling. You only have to have one emergency for him to change his mind.

After almost 2 years of unemployment, dh said the other day "honey, I don't know how you do it". It was only because of my stockpile that I was able to "do it".

Even though he is now working full time, I'm am now stockpiling again. Those emergencies seem to come a lot more now than before and I want to be prepared. There is nothing wrong in being prepared!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have kind of the opposite happening here and I am not complaining. I guess because we do have an emergency situation here, my dh helps me stockpile. I have a huge stockpile of Dove soap too, toilet paper. It is many times an obsession for the both of us, especially if the item is free. His mother was a stockpiler and he always has referred to himself as a hoarder.

The only thing that bothers him is the fact that I want to arrange it all so that it shows, like market shelves, he tends to want to box it or bag it up. We keep most of it out in the garage because we have those darn moths in the house again and it is not a problem in the garage.

Keep stockpiling Tammy!!!

She who dies with the biggest stockpile wins!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just keep stockpiling. I give my Dh and Dks a choice, they can use what I have on hand or they can spend their money to buy the brand that they really want. You would be surprised at how many times they don't want to spend their own money. When they save money this way or any other way I tell them that it's like they get to spend their money twice.

cmu
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My DH is the 7th of 9 children, he doesn't complain at all about me stockpilling because he remembers his mom doing it and thinks about how many times they wouldn't have had food if hadn't been for there mom doing the same thing. What he does find funny is now my 5 year old brings home coupons from daycare for mommy now, anytime she sees a coupon she asks him if she cancut it out for mommy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I sometimes get grief over stockpiling too. In my case,sometimes it's warrented though. At one time I had over 50 lbs of pasta. Twas time to use up what I had. No need to have every shape imaginable on hand. We got a mouse in the house that loved pasta and I'm still teased as to who had the biggest addiction to pasta, me or the mouse,lol.
    Another problem I have is never emptying my freezer. It does need to be defrosted sometime and I know there are things in there that have been there too long. It's just so hard sometimes to pass up a good deal. I am learning to tell myself I have enough.
    Sometimes I think it goes back to when I was a kid and didn't have this or that. I love knowing that it is there if I want/need it. Now you know my secret... shh...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Lori-crap you made me realize why I had to go to Kroger this week and I didn't.Man they had it for .99 for a 5lb bag,being .19 a lb.crap crap crap!!!Ok anywho I think if you get the items for free or nearly for free and you use them on a regular basis then go ahead and stockpile,even if you don't use it or its new and you get it for free then go ahead,but if its something you don't normaly use then I would say not to stockpile.For example we use all sorts of bodywash and the brand doesn't matter to us so I go ahead and stockpile whatever is free or atleast 75%off of what the lowest regular price in my pricebook is for that type of item not brand(hope I'm making sence)Anyways it wouldn't be good for me to stockpile something that we reuse often(like baggies)or something that we don't use often or normaly wouldn't buy like conveinence foods.With the exception of it being free.I currently have 172rolls of toiletpaper,36rolls of paper towels(could use cloth napkins here,see what i mean)20 sticks of mens and womens doederant,20 bottles of shampoo,20bottles of conditioner,37 tubes of toothpaste,50 bars of soap,48 cans of tuna,50lbs of rice,shoudl've gotten the 50lbs of sugar(darnit)All of these items were gotten for free or darn close to it or well below the lowest price in my pricebook.I hope this helped.Oh yeah we have 5 bottles of childrens shampoo,6 boxes of poptarts(normaly don't eat these but was a good deal,really good)2 bottles of baby shampoo(which I use for kids shampoo)and 4 bottles of baby wash(which i use for kids soap.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

my stock pile never gets out of hand because is share it with my brother,family and friends..i often buy cat food(get it free)and we no longer have a cat(just got 8lbs free) but i give it to mu best friend who still has one..i also gave her boyfriend 10 pks of dove(free) .they love to see me show up with a bag

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think a 6-12 month supply of nonpershibles is a good idea. If the item is extremely cheap or free, I think it is wise to have an even longer supply. I currently stockpile soap, body wash, shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrushes, deodorant, dishwashing liquid, dishwasher detergent, and detergent (even though I make my own liquid detergent. These items also don't take up alot of space. I also try to keep at least a two month supply of rice, vegetable oil, magarine, sugar and cereal. I keep about a 3 month supply of ground beef and chicken in the freezer. I have about 50 cans of veggies in the cabinet. I think it is as important to keep a stockpile of these necessities as it is to keep an emergency fund because we might not know what problems can arise in the future.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast