Do you ever feel like your stockpile is too big?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Do you ever feel like your stockpile is too big?

I stockpile on such a small scale that I dont know if it's even stockpiling.
    For those who stockpile regularly, do you ever feel like your stockpile is
    too big? Do you rotate the stockpile to use the oldest first?

I admit that I am not at all good at stockpiling but keep thinking that
    mine could be alittle larger.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes. When we have trouble using up things in a timely manner and have to struggle to make things fit where they're supposed to be whether it's in the fridge, freezers, or pantry, we have too much food.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Not right now w/ Dh out of work for the next? 3 months? I am so grateful to keep pulling out stuff and not running the car for nonsense.
    My big thing now is I have to organize my thoughts and make weekly menus. It makes me think less about eating out and wanting what little we dont have.

Yes.rotation is crucial
    Shopping in the stockpile like a store is important
    meal planning around it is important
    It is my safety center.
    My only regret is i dont have a bit bigger area to organize it and keep the freezer in also.
    My biggest irritations are people knocking things and not fixing it or opening multiple flavors of the same thing. messes and open packaging lead to waste and losing the ssavings.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I had a large one.... now maybe a medium sized one. Not near what it once was.

Yes, it's saved us more than once. First being back in late 2008 and all of 2009 and most of 2010 when the economy tanked. I was unemployed for 2 years. Hubs got a paycheck such as it was and believe me it wasn't much. Luckily I got unemployment but we didn't apply for assistance.
    I knew early on in 2008 that it was coming. Could tell by business being slow so I started stockpiling.
    By the time we really tanked I had a decent pile and from then on only bought loss leaders and whatever I could get cheap and used a lot of coupons.

By doing all that I maintained a decent stockpile all that time and when business picked up some... it's still slow and probably always will be... I started rebuilding it a little at a time. Since then it's come in handy several times up till now. And NOW it's coming in handy again. REAL handy. Unfortunately it's now big this time. Fortunately we have what we have. We've also been gifted thru the kids work with stuff that some grocery stores bring there for them to take in appreciation of their jobs. Medics, Paramedics and she's a dispatcher. Most of them don't take anything and she can bring a lot home. That helps.

So it's saved our a$$es many times. I still am able to get a few things a week or every couple weeks to add to it beyond what we use. I know ... I can see it... sometime in the probably near future it's going to be like another 2008 - 2010. I'm hoping it's further out than I think it is.

I think someone who's been in financial distress before and HAD a stockpile maybe appreciates it more cause they know what a lifesaver it is not to have to worry about where the next meal or TP roll is coming from.

Like FW said... rotation is crucial. That in itself is a handful to deal with if you don't stay on top of it. I've had to throw some stuff out and that's my fault. Not a ton but some.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

yes,no sneaking TP out of a gas station or something.lol
    A cool,dry,clean place w/ windows covered. I am fortunate to have a second kitchen in the MIL apt. I had let it lapse after Ds left for college and then the Army awhile after that. He was the biggest eater by far. Then DD started being gone more and more. BUt w/ the job loss last FEb and now the contracts lost/surgery it up and running. I super stocked it w/ sales,coupons,DD's discount and whatever else method I could. It has everything and more.
    Another tip-it you drop it and ding it-use it now. I had a few pop-what a cleanup!! Also listen for hissing. Track it down and dump it. I never used to have issues but now all the cans are thin and you do.
    When I started I said-What if I couldnt buy anything else for a year? What would I do? Can this be done? So far so good. I still buy meat/dairy and fresh but so much less and fewer trips.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I go through "stock ups" and "clearing out". I usually do this with the seasons too. Like right now, we have too much in our freezers. Pantry is ok. We use our stuff regularly. I don't care how cheap it is, I don't buy it if we don't use it!

I just stocked up on pasta (probably 30 boxes) as it was .69 and mac n cheese (probably like 40 boxes) because it was .39. So we eat that much mac n cheese? Yes but over like 6 months maybe. I got a LOT of weird looks, but what can you do.

I have some pretty impressive shelving In the basement where I put a lot of my canned food, as well as pantry overflow. I also have a nice sized pantry In the kitchen as well. As far as freezers I have the freezer on my fridge as well as a 5' long one downstairs. We want a smaller cube one as well that we can plug in during garden harvest and unplug when it's empty. Right now we are managing with our freezers however.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This weekend I finally realized that I really do have a stockpile. I dont know why I have such problem with stockpiling. My freezer (which is just the top of the fridge) was jammed packed. So I took everything out and wrote down what I had and then organized it. Moved on to the fridge next. I was on a roll so did an inventory of the cupboards and the pantry cupboard.

Wow - I had alot of food written down. So I will work on meal planning from the
    list and mark off as i use it. Then i can keep a grocery list of things that I will need
    to get more of. I am concentrating on meals using the bits and pieces of things first. I can probably use 1 week of grocery money to get ahead on stuff we use alot of.

Thanks for all your explanations......................I can honestly say now that I am a stockpiler on a small scale.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Don't forget to pick up the "extra" that's not needed now on sale when you can. Pick up enough on sale until the next sale. They all run in cycles. It's takes a little while to recognize how often but you'll get it. Even a couple extra adds up not only in stockpile amount but in money in your pocket.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Annual events are a good way to help predict the sales. For example, Memorial Day, July 4, and Labor Day are usually good times to find buns, hot dogs, hamburger, steaks, catsup, pop, etc, while big baking holidays like Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter are good for sales of baking supplies, eggs, etc. Lent is usually good for seafood and fish sales. Fall harvests are usually good for canned veggies and apples and other produce.

I try to do like you do, Niko, and pick up enough at one sale to last till the next.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

we don't have double coupons so I have always found it challenging to have a large food stockpile. I did go through a phase of stockpiling HBA items I got for free at drugstores. i had two garage sales when the stockpile was overflowing, made $1400. Have had enough HBA items that I have bought barely anything in that category in several years.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

OH Sd I cannot believe i forgot to mention that. I am the queen of 1/2 price holiday candy. And baking cups themed for that holiday. Bagged walnuts and anything else I could shove in the freezer. Corned beef was an old fav. but they dont reduce it now. Precooked deli turkeys. Post game party trays,cheese logs. A great way to get stuff I cant afford otherwise.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We used to load up on candy but we're doing better now. The Rule Of One helps a lot! Neither of us should have much of that stuff, me because I'm too fat and Husby because he's a sugar addict, so I try to avoid buying much these days. It was different when all the kids were home yet though and then we'd buy tons after every holiday.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

At times I've felt like my stockpile was too big but how do you not can food when you have over planted a HUGE garden? Or when you see a steal of a deal on meat? Or fruit? Or toilet paper? Or....? Or ....? I can't pass up the deals and it makes me feel at peace when I see the food in the pantry or the TP in the closet. There have been times in my life when I wish I would of had a stockpile so I would not have gone without. 2 years ago I was laid off and had a 9 months of food stored, LOTS of toilet paper, cleaning supplies, bathroom/health supplies. It was so wonderful to know that I only needed to go buy fresh fruit and vegetables. I don't drink milk and I had powdered for cooking, I had bread kits made up and yeast in the freezer, I cooked in my sun oven whenever possible..... Plus having a stockpile of home canned food eliminates the excuse to "go out and eat because I don't have time to cook". There are only 2 times I thought my stockpile was too big - when I moved from Idaho to Iowa and when I moved from Iowa to Ohio. Try moving over 30 dozen canning jars full of food.
    2020 Goals:
    Pay off Ohio House - PAID OFF!! March 2020
    Save for whole house generator - $0/$15,000 (Guess amount, no quote)
    Fully Fund all Retirement Accounts & HSA - $12,500/$43,000
    Save for fruit trees - $0/$2,000 (by December)
    Survive Outage - 6-12s for 3-6 months.....love the pay, hate the hours
    Save for pond....now a 2022 goal

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

LL-you just have to sometimes. Right now Capt. Crunch cereal in $1.79? at Kroger and there is prob. a coupon out there but I have 6 boxes of it and many more of other cereal. So rejected. Milk is $1.69? at Kroger. Never saw it that low and we can get 4,i'll get 2 . 1.5 doz. eggs are $1.99 that I might get. I have eggs from Easter but I can HB those and rotate to fresher eggs. As far as moving that that far-nope. I would have a sale for .50 a can and start fresh. The cost of gas must have cancelled the value?? Oh,I just reread-your own canned food. Thats diff.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

my DH thinks we have too much food stored. But we were able to go a long time without going to the store for bulk things. I am getting over the crud right now, and didn't go shopping last week. DH went and by the beginning of this week, we were already out of some things cause, they were just used up. We try to rotate. I do try to can my garden and fruit tree excess. Some years our garden or trees do not give us any and it is nice to not have to run out and buy because you had over canned from the year before. I think I have lost my peaches already this year because of late frost, or early warm up. It is a good thing i have lots from last year still. I didn't get green beans last year. the deer thought it was their own personal tasters table and mowed my green beans right to the roots last year. the year before was a great year for us bean wise so it was nice to fall back on those.

Planning my garden for this year and hope to fill my shelves again to the brim so that we have plenty to eat when the cool weather hits us again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast