How do you get started?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default How do you get started?

I am very interested in learning about stockpiling. How do you get started? What if you have limited space to stockpile?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am having to redo this, myself. Have done it in the past many times, and will be using the same strategy. Will tell you what works for me.

First, I shop a little different. I don't make a menu list of what I will eat that week then go shopping. Instead, I look at the sale papers, and see what's on sale, stuff that I know I will use I buy enough that I can either use before it goes bad, freeze for later, or will stay good in cans and I stock up on those.

At first, you might get odds and ends to get you by if you don't have a good supply already of things needed. You could even just allow an extra $20 or so each time you go shopping for sale items to stock up on.

My goal is to not figure out a menu and go shopping for that. No, my goal is to shop the sales, and cook from what I have on hand. Stuff that I bought at it's cheapest price. Sometimes you have to get creative, but that's the fun of it, I think.

Others use coupons. I never got in to that, because it seemed to sell stuff I wouldn't have bought anyway, or lots of pre-package food stuff. Helps with household items, I'm sure, but I just buy mostly generic stuff which is cheaper for the brand name, even with a coupon. Wasn't worth the hassle for me, but others save a lot of money with them.

As to where to store items.. any place that is not taken!!! haha Like under beds, closets, adding shelves in a garage or reworking a pantry to add more shelves.. get creative!

Best of luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

you tube has a signifigant amt on such subjects.
    Also only stock what you will eat,target sales and buy multiples,find coupons to help (sales plus coupon).
    Youll be surprised where you can store it. ON high shelves,under the bed,shoe hanger on doors
    Keep it out of humidity and dirct sunlight.
    Read,Read,Read.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ask yourself why you want to stockpile. Is it to save money? For emergencies (tornado or hurricane)? To limit trips to the store? To stock difficult to find items? That will help you determine what to buy and keep.

Figure out what you want to stockpile. You say you have limited room. You can focus on one area, like canned food, toiletries, pet food, household cleaners, or toilet paper.

Only buy what you eat or use. Figure out how much you use per month, don't buy so much that it expires before you use it up. Don't fill up space with items you don't use or replace rarely. You don't need 20 toothbrushes gathering dust, even if they were only a quarter.

Check expiration dates. On some items it doesn't matter. Foods with nuts or oils can go rancid. Baking mixes can go flat when the baking soda in them gets old, and flour will get rancid or buggy unless specially sealed. It's no good putting up 12 jars of peanut butter if it expires next month, even though it keeps another year or so, because by the time you get to the last few jars it will taste funny.

Know what prices are in your local stores and watch how often stuff goes on sale. Some things, like canned peas/corn and brownie/cake mixes go on sale every month and may not be worth filling up your tiny space if you can get it cheap often. And if it's "always" on sale, it's not really a sale.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown