How much do you save by stockpiling?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default How much do you save by stockpiling?

How much do you save by stockpiling? I used to do it before but stopped because I didn't have enough money to stockpile and I have very little space. Maybe I can stockpile some small non-food items. Also I used to stockpile some food items and had a hard time using them up. At least for food, I found just meal planning and cooking one bigger batch of food/recipe at a time and having some pantry space for new meals planned worked better for me. If I was to stockpile again, it would probably be small non-food items.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I used to save quite a bit because chicken at .99/lb is obviously cheaper than the regular price, and I could store it in the extra freezer our in-laws gave us. But I've found in recent years DH is eating lots less, and I'm cooking smaller portions, thus not needing to keep a lot on hand. There's a sale at one of the major chains often enough that keeping one or two packages on hand is enough to feed us until the next time.

I'm trying to cut back on dry goods because I've opened a few packages that have gone rancid from sitting too long. Lately we've had too many open packages of chips and crackers. DH just grabs whatever he sees instead of looking for an open bag and using it up. And stuff gets pushed to the back and forgotten. So no more until it's gone.

I don't think anyone needs to stockpile for the apocalypse, especially if you don't have the space. Store what you have space for, that you would normally and reasonably use within a few months between sales.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's just the 2 of us but it does save ma a fair amount. For example: Friday I found pineapples on sale for $1 each I bought 8. For $8 I got 15 pints of canned pineapple chunks (core and all because the canning softens it up), I cooked the peels in water and use the pineapple water to make my own vinegar, I feed the cooked peels to my chickens and I planted the tops in pots. IF I can keep the goats out of the garage I'll transplant the tops in the garden in the spring. The goats ate my other 2 plants. GRRRRR. Savings: $1 per pineapple, vinegar savings @1.50 when compared to apple cider, food for the chickens and if I can get the tops to produce in 18 months I'll have an endless supply of pineapples.

Cellphone charging cords: I found them on clearance and bought 10. Saved over $70.

local save-a-lot discounts meat 50% - I have saved $100s buy stocking up when they have markdowns I will use, like ground beef $1 per pound.

Another grocery store had 4 packs of chicken thighs on sale with coupons on top. I took all they had. I paid $.05-0.75 each and one pack they paid me $0.05 to take it.

Last year I found butter marked down to $2/pound and bought 30 pounds. I canned and froze the butter saving me at $50-60.

Found apples half price, peeled, cored and canned them for apple pies. Dehydrated the peels, powdered them and add it to make apple cinnamon oatmeal saving us from buying flavored oatmeal.

So, for us, stocking up makes sense when we find a good deal. I have the space to store it, a foodsaver, canner and dehydrator to preserve the food and prevent freezer burn before we eat it. It has saved me $1,000s over the years.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't know how much is saved here. When butter is on sale, we buy 20 lbs and save $40. I buy meat on clearance, saving $30/yr. Cereal on sale saves $60 or more. My guess is we save hundreds of dollars a year. I should keep better track. The last several years has had everyone here eating much less, esp. DH. Plus, we're not as active anymore with the kids being older. DH disagrees with that statement but I know I've slowed down. So, I really don't need to keep much on hand, but I do.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There's just the two of us now and we eat different now but I still stockpile....I refuse to buy peanut butter at full price when I could just pull a jar from the cabinet that I purchased when it was on sale and I had a coupon for so I probably paid a quarter of the price...

If I can get something for pennies or free, I buy it and donate it to the food pantry.

I stockpile paper products and hba….you can save a bunch stockpiling that stuff....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I used to stockpile, but then i moved to a resort area and the prices made it more expensive to stockpile, that or I'd have to drive an hour and some south to the nearest large town where the prices were decent, but the gas cost there and back make it not worth doing that either.

Then i started using amazon, the prime pantry with my prime account. Now i can stockpile again as amazon makes it affordable. Just as an example, a 12 pack of my favorite diet soda here in town is just over $6, on sale they'll have like a buy 3 for $11, or $4 each but must by multiples of 3, kind of things. I just saw on amazon the other day the same soda for $3.39 i believe it was, regular price. So now I order most of our food stuffs from amazon, except for meat and produce. The money i save doing this goes to gas to drive and get the produce and meats, and even then i'm saving money from buying it local.

Using amazon and traveling to get the rest, i spend about 3/4 what i did before on average. Not a huge savings but it adds up. And now my pantry is STUFFED! I like to have 3 items on the shelf for every item i'm using, then if times are tight i know i have at least that much to get my son and I through.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've always stockpiled to some extent. Began in earnest in 2008. Back then I stockpiled everything I could that was a BOGO or fantastic sale and a coupon. It saved us thousands over the course of the next few years ( think 2014 or 2015 ) when we were bankrupt and had lost everything. Now I still do it but in smaller quantities. I stock a lot less box type products. More canned, freezer and HBA/taxable.

Like today we picked up 3 pkgs Angel Soft 12 dble rolls and a 6 pk paper towels all on sale for $4.99 each. Lot better than $7 or more each. Some places higher. Only better price would be Dollar General $5 of $ 25 at $4.99. Only catch that once in awhile. I like to have at least 4 of the TP on hand unopened and 1 pkg unopened PT.

Tomorrow or Monday going to Sav A Lot for boneless skinless chicken breast for $1.49. I'll pick up several pkgs as we go thu a bit of chicken.

I still stock many many things. Just not the amount I used to.

As for savings I'd say thousands and thousands over the many many years. I've done it since my 20s in some fashion or another
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't stockpile like I used to. I threw out so much food that was so old. I only stock 1/4 what I used to. I keep things like canned green beans because the grandchildren love them. I have a few can of ravioli for them too and once in a while for me. I do keep a good stock of creamed soups because I do use them a lot on the weekend. I keep peanut butter on hand for a quick sandwich here and there. one dgd has a peanut allergy, so we don't use as much as we used to. I don't like to pay full price. Same with chili beans and canned tomatoes. I used to have a lot of ramen stored, but with the amount of sodium, we don't use it much anymore. I stock up on turkeys at Thanksgiving. Dh loves turkey and every couple of months we cook a turkey. Eat it for days and then freeze the rest for soup or casseroles. I usually get the smaller ones. I stock up on cereal when it is on sale. That's about it anymore.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I always stockpile a certain amount but just a few of the item. you know when the sales cycles hit and you know pb is the cheapest for months or tp ..tp is always on sale here but sometimes way cheaper so got 4 packs of 12 dble rolls for $20 about 2mths worth for us. or if there is marked down items. but never like 20 of something. and w teens it goes. so normally things we would get anyways but if it is clearance or deep sale will pick up more.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't have a big stockpile but when I can save $1/item then it's worthwhile to pick up 4 or 5. One of the stores is having a good sale this week (88 cents/item calling it "crazy 8 sale") with some good prices I don't usually see.