How to Stock Your Kitchen If You're Worried About Coronavirus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default How to Stock Your Kitchen If You're Worried About Coronavirus

"Whether you're binge-reading about a potential pandemic or not, here are best practices for how to shop for food and prepare your kitchen in case of a local coronavirus outbreak—or any other reason you'd want to spend awhile at home."

https://www.foodandwine.com/lifestyl...ut-coronavirus
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Overall a good starter list, I guess, but I think it's odd the recommendation is for foods that don't make you thirsty, followed by the very next sentence suggesting several high sodium foods and lots more throughout the rest of the article. Not sure what salty foods have to do with avoiding a pandemic anyway. That seems like more for if you're in a natural disaster where water supplies may be interrupted. But if someone hasn't given this covid-19 mess any thought, the article should help people start.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do like that list better, thanks. I think I already have everything on it, of the things we use, except cabbage.

They did forget pets though, unless I missed it. And non-food items like toilet paper, tampons, etc. I think they did have diapers. We checked our supplies and added peanuts and sunflower seeds for our wild friends. We would never hear the end of it if we ran out of food for our little screamin' red squirrels.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for sharing this - especially the link to the article on Yahoo news!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Another factor to consider is supply chains. Many factories in China have been shut down due to the pandemic. Things like prescription drugs or ingredients for them come from China. There may be shortages of lots of things including drugs. We can buy 90 days at a time, so we did. We also plan to buy heartworm and flea/tick meds for our pets early to make sure we can get them.

We're also eyeing Amazon and trying to anticipate what we might need there in the next 3 months. So far, all we've come up with is tomato powder, so it's not like we're panic buying.

We're also trying to anticipate home entertainment needs and thinking about holes in our hobby supplies we may need to fill. Fortunately we're well supplied in that area. Same with home improvement projects we have in the queue. Don't need much there, either, but just trying to anticipate needs for the next 2 or 3 months.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just restocked my food and added more canned fruit. I was trying to see if I can change dh's meds to 90 day, but it's not letting me. Last time I looked, it gave me a list and now it's not there. I'll have to look at it again. That's one thing we do have extra of. We didn't do the 90 day for dh, because there was the chance of everything changing. And it did. Now it's been steady, so we could do the 90 day. I guess we could call the doctor and have them send in a new prescription.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Norway has been in lockdown since Friday. The grocery stores are still open, but we are encouraged to stay at home as much as possible. I'm feeling a bit under the weather, so I've quarantined myself in case it is Corona. I'm very glad for our stockpile now. I suspect we will be staying at home all summer, so we have also stocked up on seeds and other stuff needed for a garden.
    Total paid/saved: $214 900
    Total goal: $304 900
    To do: $90 000

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Early on I stocked up on food from Organic Prairie and Vital Choice. Then I did a huge Amazon order and renewed all my Rx drugs for three months along with all supplements and OTC drugs I might need. Thankfully, I have a bidet toilet seat but I always keep plenty of TP for guests. Just received a bag of dog food that should last two months and have enough heart worm meds for a year. I did buy some bottled water just in case FLORIDA is hit by a storm. Stay safe.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Jettsmom call your doctor and he should be able to write you a new script....your pharmacy might do it for you but I would imagine they are super busy right now....good luck....

I have plenty of everything and think I can stay in for a month or more.....my husband still works and I worry about him coming into contact with someone and bringing it home but I just have to pray it doesn't happen...If he stays home I pray we are still together when it's over....LOL....I'm not a 24/7 gal....I like my space....with him working last week, I got the garage done....it looks good....

Stay safe and healthy....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I went out yesterday. No potatoes anywhere and of course no TP or any of the other in demand items. No chicken to be found. Some beef.

I'm going out tomorrow or Tuesday early with short list. I have 2 stores to hit. Maybe 3. The main 2 open within an hour of each other so that's good.. I have my list twice in order of where to head first in each store. People are buying entire meat cases.

I'm getting extra pet food just in case also. I have what should be enough but not taking chances. Just means I won't have to buy for awhile.

I've never stopped couponing and or stockpiling especially BOGOs. So not in bad shape at all. I've bought TP at least every other week at $General 5 off $25. Same with paper towels. Save A Lot has ran some dang good sales on meat in the past. Bacon 2.99. Pork Loins (huge) 99cents pound. Chicken ( which I need badly ) for 1.49 for boneless skinless breast.

Just yesterday got 2 loaves bread, 1 gal milk and another 18 ct eggs.

Meds all have refills and all mine but one is 90 day. His is VA and call and they deliver.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was on the Target web site. Everything is marked "May be unavailable or delayed" but at least able to put some things into my shopping cart. I won't be upset if things are delayed, all stuff we can get by without. But they are things that Target prices well and we won't have to spend time in grocery store to buy them. No paper products but allowing me to order many basics.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Receiving emails from Target. Most items shipping. No status on 5 lb rice or unsalted roasted peanuts. I think that's pretty good.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here's a video showing how to clean your food items after bringing them home from the store.

https://m.dailykos.com/stories/2020/...navirus-crisis

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I went out a few days after I posted with my list and found all of it except chicken and burger. But ok for now. I had forgot about the small meat market next small town not far and apparently they are well stocked with meat, produce and quite a bit of other stuff. We know the people ... just never been in there. I plan on checking it out one day this next week just to see. Prices aren't on their website.

I figure Winn Dixie should be calling here soon with at least one of my prescriptions. I missed several blood pressure and water pills.. not on purpose... just couldn't remember if I took or not and pretty sure I hadn't but didn't want to take the chance of doubling up so didn't. So those will be filled for 90 days. Hubs called his into the VA.

The kid went to Walfart this morning. Wish she hadn't but ... had her get milk. So if can get more chicken and burger we can hole up for a long time.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4