Restocking for a possible 2nd Covid wave? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yes I think slow openings are the way to control it. things are opening but in reduced numbers. of course people in malls not following distance rules etc. still no lysol wipes and spray and limited pinesol etc. they stay don't travel or limited travel only starting on the 29th but really everyone is already for weeks and now that school is done.. ferries etc full airplanes etc too. within country. every province is a bit different back east has it worse then us so they aren't as open. movie theaters opening this weekend at half capacity.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

it's going to be hard to find the balance of "open" and what people will actually do as far as closing down. Idaho is surging hard, and we just had an entire family quarantined with asymptomatic covid! They tested before visiting someone and they have it. So I think maybe we're having more asymptomatic spread than I've been aware of. I tried to give blood last week so I'd get an anti-body test, but had to cancel. Trying again next week! Will be good to know if I've had it.

As for stocking up, foodwise I'm find. I've got most things but did buy a bigger package of TP than I normally would just in case I get symptoms or exposed and am supposed to stay home 14 days. Rubbing alcohol appeared so I bought 1 small bottle. I haven't used up the last one and have peroxide which I use for my "at home" hand sanitizer.
    Not much "stocking" to do If we get a wave in the winter I will need more stock again

Registered User MakeADollarHollar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Husband did a Costco run yesterday. Meat was mostly stocked, no limit signs that he could see and prices are coming down a bit but some things were still high...B/S chicken breast was almost $4 a pound. I've never seen anything like that unless it's organic but he didn't say if it was or not. Vitamins were way low again, no zinc and no Emergen-C, no alcohol, peroxide or cleaning/disinfectants anywhere to be found. And no Feta cheese. He asked a stocker about it and he said it never came in on the truck. I don't think we've ever gone to Costco and found they were out of Feta so I thought that was weird. Hoping it was just a fluke.

I'm off work Friday and am making a list for Walmart. I don't shop there often but am hoping they will have some things in stock that I'm looking for.

I like SD's idea about the butter spray bottles. I actually have one in the fridge that I use for popcorn. I'll be sure to save it and use if I have to for something or other that needs a quick squirt.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use the fake butter on popcorn, too, usually with black pepper and garlic powder to avoid sodium. I have several bottles around so will have enough now to get through winter, I think. That stuff keeps forever.

BSCB is $1.99 here this week. We've been slowly getting enough in the freezer so will buy about 2 pkgs, which is about 3 lbs total.

We got more powdered milk recently so we should be good for a year.

We need to buy a couple cases of frozen mixed veggies, several cases of tomatoes, and a few other staples, but we're in pretty good shape overall.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

since I was gone for 10+ weeks DH and the family ate through several of the things i had stocked up on. so now I am needing to stock the freezer with meat again, and I need to get more black beans and pinto beans. I have been picking up tomato sauce and other things as I find them. I need to also stock up again on oil, I was down to using the last bottle I had. So will pick up here and there 1 or 2 at a time until things are stocked up again to where I like them to be. ( am still pretty good on TP, although the 9 month old DGS loves to play spin the TP off the holder game, and to also play in the splash pad with the lid. I have to keep that door closed at all times now, Haha!)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yes there is some things I need to keep an eye on for sales. or just stock up like lysol wipes. I can get 160 cavi wipes on amazon for $45 but then lysol wipes $8.50 for 75 so think I will just keep buying them when I see them. I can always just use cleaners and rags too. need a good spaghetti sauce sale too. need to go to a diff chain to get a local powdered laundry soap..just like making it homemade but same price..good for skin too. comes in a big bucket. they are opening one close by but don't know when.

looks like I need to restock ramen too. that is a store buy because amazon just way too much money. but the ones kids like have to get at asian stores. no mr noodles here lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

One of my son-in-laws brought me six 3lb.rolls hamburger meat today froze several hamburger patties and some in larger pkg.for meat loafs and goulash.
    Goals for 2020
    1-No spend day
    2- No eating out days
    3-getting rid clutter
    4-menu
    5-stockpiling
    6-Grocery budget

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I found some things I use regularly on sale at Albertsons yesterday. Canned milk, gelato, Italian ice, ramen noodles and tuna. It felt good to restock and to get reasonable prices. I have been finding whole chickens for $1.99 a lb. I usually buy two and freeze one. They are excellent in enchiladas. I also started shopping at a corner fruit stand near my cottage. They give me great prices on red peppers, cilantro, cabbage, celery and fruit. I need to pick up more mouth rinses. I am running low on Listerine, Closys, and ACT.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The uptick in number of cases reported is due in a large part to increased testing. The number of hospitalizations is a truer indicator of what's happening. I live in Iowa and businesses are open. However, masks are recommended, social distancing, stay home if sick, etc. Businesses that are open are required to use social distancing so 50% or less of capacity. Our Governor has emphasized personal responsibility for ourselves and consideration for others and I feel the majority of Iowans are doing so. What is disheartening is the number of people who ignore the rules. I'm a senior with asthma so I'm continuing to stay at home. I went shopping July 1 for the first time since June 11 and only the third time since the first week of March.

I have my preps at six month level for everything and more than that for some things and longer if I go into crisis mode and stretch my supplies to the extreme limit. I have done this for many years with the goal of my household not being a part of the problem ... whatever that problem might be. I've never prepped for specific events. Covid-19 has been a good test. Not that I've found any huge holes in my preps but that it has been difficult to replace what I've used. While that situation is better there are still empty shelves and limits on how many items you can buy. I try to shop every three to four weeks (even before Covid) but now find I have to either shop more often or go to several stores to fill my list. Currently no one knows whether the supply chain is slow, broken or supplies are exhausted. We don't know if or when that issue will be resolved.

I planted a good sized garden but we're in drought plus extreme heat and things are drying and dying. That means I've added to my preps to replace what I'd planned from the garden.

If food shortages should become critical, one way to conserve and stretch, is to use nutrition and serving size portions. In other words, no one eats more than the correct serving size to provide nutrition. The correct size for a serving of meat is the size of a deck of cards and men especially seem to want a plate sized hunk of meat. The plate size hunk of meat would feed a family of 4 or 5 or maybe 6 using the proper serving size. Nutritionally neither children nor adults need a huge glass of milk at each meal. Figure out what is necessary for nutrition and that's the limit for each day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I’m not stocking for the virus more like filling in what I used the past 3-months...I’m getting ready for the higher prices and food shortages that are here and will be worse as time goes on..I do believe that we are looking at another lockdown so people will go crazy and buy everything because they didn’t learn the first time around...I have been canning and freezing meat in bulk..I will buy butter and can it after that I’m ready..
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234