Restocking for a possible 2nd Covid wave? - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We've always had a 6mo-1 year working pantry system set up- it's the nature of having a farm. But last year my garden's turn out was well- below average. And we skipped raising pigs this year- so we will be out that meat. We are currently trying to fish to stock up, DH is going on an elk hunt end of August so fingers crossed. I keep trying to find chicken but it's scarce around here.

I have started stocking up a bit of toiletries. The garden is in mass production this year- so we are putting up a lot of veggies. I feel good about that. I'm being way more intentional with my harvest too.

We did get an extra batch of chickens and in spring on a whim, and i'm planning on freezing eggs once some containers come in.

I really wish the costco wipes I usually get for cleaning come back in one day. I feel like it's been a long time now. Got one tiny pack at Target the other day. Still lots of limits on cleaning supplies.
    Step 2
    Will update this when I have time

Food grown for my family so far: 37lbs 1 oz!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We switched our meds to 90 day supplies. Don't want to run out of those. Have plenty of baby aspirin on hand too. Dh has to take one daily. I better check to see when the reorder date is. I think it's still a month away.

I rarely find cleaning wipes. I've found them at target a couple of times, limit one. Of course they are on the high shelf, pushed way back, so a short person can't get them. I just grabbed a mop and knocked them down!

I do need to stock up on shampoo, soap, etc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Raiquee, maybe you could buy a hog from someone. We used to do that when we lived in farm country. Raising your own isn't free, so not having to feed one would help offset the cost of buying one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you can help with livestock at others' farms, you might be able to trade for meat. I help butcher for meat rather than cash. Also farmsit for people.
    As for my own restocking, I'm staying 3 weeks ahead on chicken feed rather than letting it run nearly out. Bit more juggling of bags and things, but want to stay on top of things in case I need to quarantine myself. I plan to get some swiss chard starts today for fall/early winter greens. I have kale, lettuce and chard and good king henry how, but could be down to just the henry in a few weeks. More chard starts could help extend my garden harvest further into fall.

I've picked 2 quarts of service berries and have them in jars with vinegar. I'll pour that off a time or two. Had last year's berries in vinegar until abotu 6 weeks ago when I ate the last of them. The flavored vinegar and berries in vinegar seem to last a good long time!
    I'm supposed to get my deer tag too so I can hunt with a friend. It would be my first big game hunting. Plenty of meat there!
    Also canning more duck in about a month or two, when the ducks are big enough. if either of those works out, and the chickens get butchered as they quit laying, I will have enough meat to get to spring AND to trade for other people's frozen and canned veg or fruit.

I still have rice and cracked wheat and coconut flour but have an eye out for more grains for fall/winter storage now. Also an eye out for canned tomato products, dried fruit/veg.
    Been stocking up on bandaids and first aid as well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Received some of my seeds today: 1 pound of green bean seeds and 1 pound of peas. I *think* I still have time to get the beans in the ground this year, since they take about 2 months to mature, and it is usually still warm here in October. I will wait until fall to plant the peas.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Decided to throw caution to the wind and planted the beans. If they mature before the cold weather hits, I should have a nice crop to can at just about the time of year where it will be nice to have the stove going in the morning! Little too toasty right now outside.
    DH aka Mad Hen

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Fingers crossed for you, MH!

I sometimes have to lay an untreated board over beans and snap peas till they come up, so our resident rodents don't eat them. Opportunistic little beasties.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

More seeds showed up!! Brussels sprouts, carrots, and summer squash.
    DH aka Mad Hen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    I sometimes have to lay an untreated board over beans and snap peas till they come up, so our resident rodents don't eat them. Opportunistic little beasties.
    I start mine in 4" containers and plant them out when they are big enough to not look like appetizers. I still lose some to birds, squirrels, etc, but generally, once the plants are a couple of weeks old, they have a good chance of making it. I lost a couple of really delicious-smelling melons to *something* (could be any of a whole list of suspects), so I am going to have to figure out a way to protect those next summer.
    DH aka Mad Hen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

MH we put netting around and practically caged our stuff in the garden this year. I was so tired of everything being mowed down every morning by the wildlife. my hubby and dd and the grands did the work to get it in. I now have tomatoes without bites taken out. we actually got green beans this year. and we have 10 nice looking watermelons that we just started harvesting. its a first for the watermelons and we also enjoyed our first ever honeydew.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I should try planting beans and snap peas in those peat pellet things next spring. Thanks for the idea!

We have fencing around some areas, and the table garden and sink garden on a deck. We have a long list of suspects here, too. I'm slowly figuring out what doesn't get eaten here. So far potatoes, tomatoes, horseradish, and chives don't seem to be targets. Some of the rodents ding the tomatoes sometimes but I don't think we can stop that without a massive effort.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Picked up a case of canned pumpkin today. I give a little to the dogs once a week, so a case should last me through the end of this year. I split one can between all four pups.

Also picked up a case of toilet paper, because I just couldn't help myself. I have enough for a year, probably, but I always have a concern about my mother and sister getting through, as neither of them buys more than what they need to get through the week.
    DH aka Mad Hen

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456