Restocking for a possible 2nd Covid wave?
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Restocking for a possible 2nd Covid wave?

We did okay on the first wave, largely because we had a stockpile. But there were a few things that were unavailable or excessively high priced.

IF there's a 2nd Coronavirus wave in the fall, what are you stockpiling now?

My thoughts
    * powdered milk
    * dried beans/lentils
    * frozen veggies
    * canned tomatoes
    * rice
    * yeast
    * flour
    * pet food
    * ibuprofen ?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh! And Toilet Paper, of course!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm not sure that I'll be stockpiling since we usually have food of some sort and I tend to overbuy sale items. I was lucky enough to get masks/gloves in January, despite DH thinking it was nonsense. We were ok on paper products as well, since we buy from Costco and their packages are huge. If anything, it would be water since we use a gallon a day. The tap has so much contaminant/carcinogens in it that the latest reports show why I can't possibly drink it. I don't know why this town is allowed to have those amounts! So, purchasing it is one expense I don't mind.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm making a list and hoping for "normal" sale pricing to resume soon. We did pretty well because of the stockpile, and I started stocking up more in February. These are things I will be looking to add if I find them on sale:

--tea
    --sugar
    --sweetener
    --soup base
    -- rice mixes
    --potatoes (frozen, all kinds)
    --puff pastry
    --pie crust
    --frozen dinner rolls
    --cheese
    --hot chocolate
    --bacon
    --breakfast sausage
    --pork chops
    --bacon wrapped beef tenders
    -- " " turkey
    --mac&cheese

I keep most of this on hand anyway, but will prefer to have extra if we get hit with another stay at home order and there is panic buying. I'm not letting the TP stash get low at all this year.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We actually have most of the stuff left that we stockpiled at the start. As stuff became available we would buy a little extra. The shortages were not that bad here. Possibly because they started putting limits on things. A little ironic since this area was fairly hard hit by the virus.

We might try to pick up extra cleaning supplies when we can. Some of them have been hard to find.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We found Bob's Red Mill dry milk, 22 oz for $10 and got 2 bags, but would still like to find a big box of the regular kind.

Mostly I'll be looking for canned goods, I think. I'm hoping for fall sales so I can buy case lots, like usual.

I bought quite a bit of meat when it was on cheap sales, so freezers are fully stocked.

I tend not to buy boxed mixes for health reasons and to save space and money, so I've slowly built up our flour and sugar inventory so that's fully stocked with AP, bread, and white whole wheat flours, and sugar. We make our own brownie, Bisquick, and snack cake mixes, cream soup mixes, and various other mixes.

We're been dehydrating various foods so we can have them on hand next winter and avoid going out for groceries as much as possible. The dry food will partially replace fresh foods. I'm creating a storage system for these foods using half gallon olive jars I've saved over the yrs. I will be buying more olives in half gallon jars if we ever go to WM again. Also a gallon of soy sauce.

Toilet paper is stocked for the next yr. We had over bought last fall due to faulty memory about how much we had at home, then bought 1 just-in-case bale at Aldi in February before any shortages. I'm glad for that now so we don't have to worry.

We've always used rags for cleaning but paper towel use had crept up, so we cut back on that and don't anticipate needing those.

I moved seldom used items out of the pantry to make space for more food. Overall we're in pretty good shape. I will continue to pick up items as needed, but don't anticipate many huge bulk purchases. I'll be looking for cases of canned goods in the fall like every yr, and order from the warehouse through our little local store like always. If we do buy extra now, I always ask if there is enough for everyone. Our 2 small local stores have been fully stocked except for a few items, so I've been able to buy items like sugar a little at a time.

I have sort of a master list of what we need, and keep an eye on that. At some point we will drive the 50 miles to the big boxes and Aldi and hope they have the things we still need.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yes I am just staying the same. need some things to stock up on with sales. Will make sure there is more tp and lysol wipes in case there is another panic buying ..wipes still haven't come back. I know I can just use rags and cleaners but they are so handy for cleaning up cat puke and other things like that. esp w teen boys and toilets. some things just because we always get them like tomato soup or baked beans.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    I'm making a list and hoping for "normal" sale pricing to resume soon. These are things I will be looking to add if I find them on sale:

--tea
    --sugar
    --sweetener
    --soup base
    -- rice mixes
    --potatoes (frozen, all kinds)
    --puff pastry
    --pie crust
    --frozen dinner rolls
    --cheese
    --hot chocolate
    --bacon
    --breakfast sausage
    --pork chops
    --bacon wrapped beef tenders
    -- " " turkey
    --mac&cheese

I keep most of this on hand anyway, but will prefer to have extra if we get hit with another stay at home order and there is panic buying. I'm not letting the TP stash get low at all this year.
    Some good ideas here, especially about watching for sales. Our Kroger had small white beans on closeout for $0.87/lb. I bought a few to put on the stockpile shelf, in case we're under a 'stay at home' order again. Dried beans and lentils were 'unobtainium' here for several weeks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    We found Bob's Red Mill dry milk, 22 oz for $10 and got 2 bags, but would still like to find a big box of the regular kind.

Mostly I'll be looking for canned goods, I think. I'm hoping for fall sales so I can buy case lots, like usual.

I bought quite a bit of meat when it was on cheap sales, so freezers are fully stocked.

I tend not to buy boxed mixes for health reasons and to save space and money, so I've slowly built up our flour and sugar inventory so that's fully stocked with AP, bread, and white whole wheat flours, and sugar. We make our own brownie, Bisquick, and snack cake mixes, cream soup mixes, and various other mixes.

We're been dehydrating various foods so we can have them on hand next winter and avoid going out for groceries as much as possible. The dry food will partially replace fresh foods. I'm creating a storage system for these foods using half gallon olive jars I've saved over the yrs. I will be buying more olives in half gallon jars if we ever go to WM again. Also a gallon of soy sauce.

Toilet paper is stocked for the next yr. We had over bought last fall due to faulty memory about how much we had at home, then bought 1 just-in-case bale at Aldi in February before any shortages. I'm glad for that now so we don't have to worry.

We've always used rags for cleaning but paper towel use had crept up, so we cut back on that and don't anticipate needing those.

I moved seldom used items out of the pantry to make space for more food. Overall we're in pretty good shape. I will continue to pick up items as needed, but don't anticipate many huge bulk purchases. I'll be looking for cases of canned goods in the fall like every yr, and order from the warehouse through our little local store like always. If we do buy extra now, I always ask if there is enough for everyone. Our 2 small local stores have been fully stocked except for a few items, so I've been able to buy items like sugar a little at a time.

I have sort of a master list of what we need, and keep an eye on that. At some point we will drive the 50 miles to the big boxes and Aldi and hope they have the things we still need.
    Man! There are some excellent ideas here!
    Olives in half-gallon jars...I need to research those. And a master list. Great idea.

Do you dehydrate with a special appliance? Or is there a way to use the oven?

Could you share all or part of your master list?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

WM has olives in half gallon jars in their bulk section. They've been about $8/jar as long as I've bought them , at least 15 yrs. I get gallon jugs of Kikkoman soy sauce there, too. I forget the price, but much cheaper than small bottles. We buy a gallon every 2-3 yrs.

My master list is just the stuff we use repeatedly. Everyone's will be different. Just pay attention for a few weeks what you use up, and you'll have a master list tailored to your family

I have 2 dehydrators, so I use those. I also have a largish countertop oven that can dehydrate and a dehydrate setting on my stove oven, but have never used those. If you can turn your oven down to 135 for veggies and 165 for meats, you should be able to use it. Search Pinterest for how to dehydrate in your oven.

We quit chasing sales. Every store we go to is yet another exposure. Not worth it to save a few pennies. We go to as few stores as possible, stay as short a time as possible, and then stay away from any stores as long as possible.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am making note of what I used most and what I wished I had. Lentils are easier to cook fer me than beans so will stock up on those as they go on sale. Still ha be rice and that will keep if I get it in jars. Dehydrated veggie soup base and low salt veggie cubes were super handy for making a quick meal or side dish to Fillmore in around eggs and bread. Jars of salsa are now a 'go to' soup or casserole base for me so will try to keep a few on hand if it looks like the area will shut down again. While the garden is producing a will try to dry some greens. Also drying dandelion leaves and nettles this summer pet doctor recommendation...good for relieving the puffy ankles.
    Also spices!! I can eat the same staple dishes every day if I can vary the flavor with spices.

I May buy extra sox and undies. That helps minimize laundry runs.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Maggie, yes the spices and seasonings made a big difference here. Being able to vary what we were eating helped a lot. I'm adding pasta and sauce to my list. We don't eat it often, but of course there was none to be found for weeks after the panic hit. Thanks for the reminder about salsa. I'll want an extra jar of that.

It also helps to plan around a menu or recipe, or set of recipes. That way you know you have all the ingredients for lasagna, and enough tomatoes to make chili, and enough left for soup.

When we finish eating all the pre-cooked food and leftovers I have right now I am going to start on a new batch. I'd rather have tubs of chili and cooked roast beef and potatoes in the freezer than wonder if it is safe to go to the market for ingredients, or not be able to find them at all. Then if my disease flares up or we don't feel like cooking it'll be easy to microwave something.

Well wrapped bread keeps ok for several months. I was very glad I stuffed a long french loaf into the freezer in early March. A week later there was no bread to be found anywhere. It made good garlic toast.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I take a different approach to bread. I would rather save freezer space for things we can't make, like meat, and bake bread as needed. It takes some practice and trial and error to bake good bread products, but once you get the hang of it, it's not really difficult. This goes back to what I said before about stocking staple foods that can by combined to make many, many things instead of buying ready made foods. Of course that approach doesn't work for everything or everyone, but it's helped us a lot over the yrs.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I wouldn't want to depend on my bread making skills, lol! And with recipes needing 6 cups of flour at a time you need to have a lot on hand if you plan on baking frequently. Flours go rancid quickly in my climate and would have to be kept in the freezer if I bought in bulk. I'd rather keep already baked bread in that space. You have to figure out what works for your situation.

I plan to have biscuit mix on hand, either store bought or home made, because that is convenient for me. That was my plan this spring, too. We had enough for several biscuit and gravy breakfasts, to make pot pies, etc.

I may even freeze some scrambled raw eggs. They aren't the best for breakfast but can be used in baking. Eggs vanished for a couple weeks, and when they came back the prices were unbelievable.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

without room to bake bread, I've learned to make a passable cracked wheat pilaf! And thanks for the pasta reminder. It's not something i eat a lot but happened upon free high quality stuff and had some. Figured out how to cook it in a thermos one serving at a time. That made for some really good meals with fried garlic or onion and herbs, then toss in some nuts at the last minute.

I've been asking friends to save their good jars from things like peanut butter (they buy the stuff in glass) and anything about a quart size. They make better bug-proof storage for me than other types of containers and I'm not sad when I chip them like I am with my real canning jars.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast