52 Week Guide to Building Your Food Storage
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default 52 Week Guide to Building Your Food Storage

https://www.organizedmom.net/52-week...-food-storage/

"This plan will end up providing you with sufficient food for two for one year. Go ahead and purchase more to accommodate your family. You will spend an average of $10 a week. Some weeks will be more expensive than others, some cheaper."
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like the list as a starting point but I don't think it provided sufficient food for 2 people for 1 year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yes have seen it before...good starting point but don't see it being enough ..some things so much like the sugar but not enough fruit and veg or protein. or stuff like dry beans or more spices. 20 rolls of tp! go though that a month for me lol unless they mean huge cans of products.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I suspect it is a list of items she keeps "on hand" and a method for purchasing small amounts on a weekly basis to keep dry goods stocked up, and not her regular weekly shopping list of what they eat. 20 cans of vegetables won't get you very far into the year, but buying 4-5 cans every other month when they are on sale is an easy, inexpensive way to keep the pantry stocked. There's no meat (only canned tuna), fresh vegetables, milk or other dairy, toiletries (soap, toothpaste) or condiments (mustard, ketchup, mayo) so I don't believe this is her regular shopping list, just the "stockpile" list.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

ch yes probably ..just another way of doing it maybe for people. really I rather save the money and do a good case lot sale. funny she says tp but not toothpaste or cleaners etc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This food storage calculator is interesting. Enter number of adults, kids, duration and it gives you raw numbers (weight) of what type food and weight/amount to plan. Interesting.
    https://ezprepping.com/food-storage-calculator/

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a disaster preparedness spreadsheet I had put together that calculates out amounts of things that I have tweaked for our family. It's quite thorough and works fairly well. Over time I have adjusted amounts up or down to suit my home's needs. A year's worth of food preps can vary so much between households.
    2020 Pay Off Debt Challenge: $25,675.45/$25,676.45 (Goal COMPLETED: Pay Off By 12/30/2020)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The calculator is very cool. Not sure I'd have the room to store that much, but still worth looking at!
    I haven't really been in a disaster of any kind. The closest was covid. When half of us were home from work/school, the amount of food in the house was sufficient. With most of our food supply in refrigeration, however, a power outage would've caused major issues for us. I've been stocking up on shelf stable products lately to balance it out. Honestly, I need to have a list of what I've gotten so far so I can see what still needs to be purchased.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We had an ice storm here that knocked out our power for a week, and the local stores were out for 4 days and had to replace their entire stock of refrigerated and frozen foods. We were able to chop our way out after 2 days and go get restaurant food. At the time I did not have the big freezer in use, so there was no big loss. But we did have food in the house and a sterno stove for heating tea and canned soup.

One of the comments on the original post was a good example of how unprepared some folks are:

"... If so, just wondering what type of emergency are people expecting? I am 57 years old ...and have never known anyone who does this. I do keep a couple of gallon bottles of water and normal pantry of some canned goods, but we live a mile or two from a Trader Joes, a Stop and Shop, a community farm and a regular grocery store, so really I can stop and pick things up very easily..."

If she was iced in for a few days she would not be able to get anything easily. I am betting that back in March her local stores a mile or two away were all as bare as mine were. A couple of gallons of water would last one person two or three days. An emergency is something you don't expect but should prepare for.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

CH- Oh, you reminded me that we DID have a disaster here when the littles were in preschool. It was a blizzard and DH got stuck at work for days.. Our neighbor walked every day, about 8 miles or so, which took many hours due to snow up to his hips, to visit 2 stores....They were empty. It was very bad. I had heard that we were expecting a "few inches" of snow, and I ended up going to the market and buying a ton of stuff (I tend to overbuy anyway) before it hit.

Now, if power would've went out, it would've gotten interesting. All doors of any kind had 40" + of snow against them and I couldn't open them.

Geez, I can't believe I nearly forgot that event! I've been buying shelf stable items and recently got a generator.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When I first married my husband, he had no stockpile of anything....the family would joke if there was a disaster, you wouldn't want to be at his house cause you would starve. He had one (1) can of soup for emergencies....lol....I lived in the country growing up and we always were prepared cause we couldn't run out to the store like people do now. He has come around and understands the need for a stockpile. I don't think we could last a year, but three or four months wouldn't be a problem. 20 cans of veggies would last 20 days....and the toilet paper is a joke....I keep at least 60 rolls (5-12 packs) at all times....