Grocery stores cap more customer purchases as lockdowns loom
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Grocery stores cap more customer purchases as lockdowns loom

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/con...-loom-n1247960

"Supermarket chains like Kroger, Publix, and H-E-B have started to limit in-store and online purchases on products such as toilet paper, cleaning supplies and paper towels to reduce stress on supply chains."
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our market has TP limits and started limiting number of customers in the store.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We've had customer limits all along but enforcement has been low. TP limits and hand sanitizer limits in a few stores.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

they didn't at first and managers loved the money as the employees were stressed out but didn't make good will at all. then all the people selling the extras online too for way too much money. then they put limits in.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

cripes people...I bought a pack of TP and some jar lids yesterday and a treat of chocolate almond milk. I don't need to go to a store for weeks now so I think I'll try a pantry challenge through the end of the year and just be one of the people who DOES try to limit the spread through pre-planning and behaving. I wear my masks, wash my hands, sanitize and stay away from people. As a natural introvert, I am honestly enjoying the personal space people give me now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've never understood the need to run to the grocery store multiple times per week either, Maggie. We never did that even when we lived in Minneapolis with 8 kids surrounded by all kinds of stores. We keep a well stocked pantry, so if we don't have exactly what we want, we just use something else. It's a habit I'm very grateful for these days.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

A long time ago I would make extra trips to our local grocery store. They would always have one or two items that were at a ridiculously low price, but with limits on how much you could get. So I would go two or three times a week. One was the regular trip the other were just for the deals.

The store was only two and half blocks away, so it was not a big deal.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yes really it is just fresh stuff like milk etc for the grocery trips or sales. but we have lots of stores here and since I am in them too working makes it easy. now if it was just me wouldn't be there as much.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Even with a list I always forget things. Sometimes it can wait a week, sometimes it can't. Living in the city it's not a big deal to go a mile to the store and pick up stuff. Then there are the 1-day sales. $1.49 butter this week, yes please! But, no, not this week and the freezer is full anyway. As often as I have to run errands, it's not usually a problem to make one more stop at the grocery store since I am out anyway.

Right now I think stores are just trying to prevent people from going nuts and loading up shopping carts, since that was the problem this spring, not any real shortage. Around here I have not seen many limit signs, even on paper goods. We don't have stay at home orders though, only limits on public gatherings.

Maggie, I'm trying to get through to the end of the month without going out. DH will finish the milk, egg nog and bread long before that, though. If I buy stuff every week he ignores it, and it sits for weeks. If I tell him that's it for the next ten days, it's gone within two.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yep. I had been doing a circuit of stores to hit the lowest prices or the "no plastic" TP brand I prefer. Right now though, I'm limiting. I am finding I'm saving a bit on gas and if I were ambitious I could reorganize and use my errands time to cook more. Not QUITE that organized though.

I went through another extreme thrift phase in the lat 1990s and found that shopping every 2 weeks saved me more than hitting the sales. In the 1980s, I did better hitting the sales but then I lived 2 blocks from the store so it was easy. Get off the bus, take a turn through the store for a crazy deal, head home. Hand carrying groceries on the walk home also limited my sales-shenanigans. Now I drive and can bring too much.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Prior to the pandemic, I used to hit 3 different stores that were near each other to get the best deals. Now I choose between one of two stores, depending on what the specifics of my purchase is going to be, and just generally accept the price at that time. Going on Friday, I noticed that things were running out again, similarly to April. We're pretty stocked up on things that are disappearing, should be good for a month or two. Otherwise, I'll keep going once every week or two during non-peak hours to get perishables.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This was printed today in Newsweek:

Kroger, the largest grocery chain in the U.S., has imposed purchase limits on essential goods like bath tissue, paper towels, disinfecting wipes and hand soap, according to Fox Business.
    "To ensure all customers have access to what they need, we've proactively and temporarily set purchase limits to two per customer on certain products," a spokesperson told the network.
    The new limits will apply both to in-store purchases and those made online. Consumers are expected to stock up on essential goods as autumn turns to winter and a worsening of the virus is anticipated.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This does not sound good: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/p...-for-two-weeks

"A dozen grocery stores around the state have been forced to close for two weeks because of a public health order issued by Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham at a time when the state’s residents are suffering from record high unemployment and food insecurity, critics say.

The order requires businesses with four or more rapid responses of COVID-19 cases reported within in a 14-day period to close for two weeks."

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yes that isn't good you have to have groceries..at least they can do orders and have pickups.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been using Instacart since March. I know it's more expensive and I give a generous tip. My groceries always come within two hours and she leaves them at my door. I wait until she's gone, then bring them in. Fortunately, Organic Prairie is now well stocked so my freezer is full of healthy protein.

I have a bidet toilet seat so TP is never an issue, especially without visitors.

I never eat out so I don't miss restaurants. The one thing that has increased is my giving. The thought of so many people suffering from food insecurity is hard to see. I'd choke on my food if I didn't help.
    Kim
    The Lord will provide