what's in your stockpile?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default what's in your stockpile?

Forestdale's plan to see how long she can stay away from the supermarket made me think about my own pantry and I realize there is no way I could go 3 weeks w/o shopping. What kinds of things do y'all keep in your pantry/stockpile? Do you keep your stockpile separate from the things you cook with everyday? Thanks for your input.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In my pantry I have the most basic staples stockpiled----flour, sugar, rice, peanut butter, canned tomatoes. I've been working on including things that are always good to have on hand but I don't always remember to include like mayonnaise, chocolate chips, oil and butter. I try to keep them separate from everyday stuff, but now that I think about it, that might not be better since you may not always know if you've run out until you look in the other place and discover it's all gone.

One good thing to always have on hand (I read this in a frugal living for dummies book) is sick food---food you always have when you're sick like chicken noodle, ginger ale, or chocolate chip cookies. I thought that was a good idea since when we're sick it's always at an inconvenient time; not when I really want to run to the grocery store. This food I would hide since any *cough* might otherwise equal cookies!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Let's see what I can remember without going and looking..........

- whole wheat and white flour
    - soy flour
    - brown rice
    - popcorn (not microwave kind)
    - cereals (usually just Cascadian Farm ones)
    - peanuts
    - canned tuna
    - canned pineapple
    - ketchup
    - mustard
    - hot sauce
    - jelly
    - honey
    - evaporated cane juice crystals (I don't use regular refined sugar)
    - sea salt
    - butter (freezer)
    - canned beans (kidney, pinto, great northern, green, garbanzo, black, etc.)
    - molasses
    - canned corn
    - canned tomato sauce
    - canned mushrooms
    - variety of spices and herbs
    - baking cocoa
    - baking powder
    - baking soda
    - pecans
    - yellow cornmeal
    - olive oil
    - variety of pasta
    - spaghetti sauce
    - whole bean coffee
    - white vinegar
    - dried beans (navy, pinto, lima)
    - peanut butter
    - canned salmon
    - pure vanilla
    - yeast
    - chicken broth
    - maple syrup
    - Cheddar bunnies (healthier version of goldfish crackers)
    - canned peas
    - gravy mix
    - salad dressing

I don't keep things separate, but try to have a large enough stockpile of things at any given time that I don't have to worry about running to the store if a hurricane is on the way or such. I do try to keep more canned items in my stockpile than frozen in case of power loss.

I do have a pretty good supply of dry milk powder, but normally just use it for making milk for the cat. In an emergency I would use it since organic dry milk powder is outrageously expensive here.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Right now, I'm looking at

In the freezer
    2 pkg pork chops, 2 beef roasts, 3 hams, 5 pkg bacon, 5 lb hamburger, 2 pkg chicken, shredded cheeses, chunk cheeses, frozen veggies, butter, frozen fruits, tortillas, bread, pre-made meals, green chilis, guacamole, frozen ravioli, pesto sauce, fish fillets

In the pantry
    pasta noodles, spaghetti sauce, Alfredo sauce, canned soups, canned beans, dried beans, lentils, condiments, 1 case canned tomatoes, ramen noodles, powdered milk, evaporated milk, flour, toilet paper, ziplock bags, cereal, DH's breakfast bars, rice

for sick days
    apple juice, tomato juice, tomato soup, chicken noodle soup, lotion tissues, ibuprophen, various otc meds

I could go three weeks without shopping, but it wouldn't be a fun 3 weeks. I could, though, seriously cut back on grocery spending for a few weeks, if I had to.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile

Thanks for all the input! I really like the idea of keeping "sick foods" hidden in the pantry. I have 4 dks so during the winter someone is always sick. It's a major pain to run to the store to get ginger ale, crackers, whatever they're craving esp if I have to drag the sick one and the other 3 with me

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My stockpile usually has 2 or 3 of what I use in this house.
    I have the large spice containers & refill my smaller kitchen ones from them. I'm always ahead of the game.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can think of the following without having to go look:
    :
    ~canned goods like salmon, tuna, sardines, tomatoes, baked beans, all sorts of fruit and a few canned vegetables, condensed milk, two 4 litre cans of olive oil.

~dried goods like pasta, rice, lentils, beans, chinese noodles, flour for bread, cakes, pancakes etc., nuts, sugar, powdered milk, yeast, dried apples, peaches and apricots,

~ a case of bottled water.

~ toilet paper, tissues, shampoo and conditioner, soap, Q tips, toothpaste, toothbrushes, peroxide, disinfectant wipes, bandaids, asthma puffers for me, DH's meds, moisturiser, spare vitamens and aspirin, matches, batteries.

~ pasta sauces, tomato sauce, soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, vegemite, peanut butter, honey, jam, molasses, golden syrup, sea salt, peppercorns, a few spices.

In the freezer I have:
    ~ frozen vegetables.

~ 3 packs of meat/chicken. I never eat meat and DH is trying to cut down.

~ butter and shredded cheese.

~ bread and bread dough.

I keep most of these things in a big cupboard just outside my kitchen. I have a pad and pencil in the cupboard. When I run out of something in the kitchen, I "shop" in my stockpile cupboard. When I take anything out, I write it on my notepad so I know I have to replace it.

We have chickens so we have fresh eggs everyday and for 9 months of the year we have a vegetable garden.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our family goal is to build up a year supply of food storage, in case of emergency or financial hardship. We are only a family of 3, but this is still a large amount of food. We have mostly #10 cans for the following: Wheat, Flour, Sugar, Oats, Rice, Legumes, Pasta, and the like. Some we have canned ourselves and others were purchased through retailers like Walton Feed and Emergency Essentials. These items have a very long shelf life. You should have a wheat grinder if you store whole wheat.

We also store Powdered Milk, Evaporated Milk, Honey, Cooking Oil, Shortening, Salt, Baking Soda and Powder, Yeast, Salad Dressing, Mayo, Peanut Butter and tons of Canned Goods like tuna, chicken, fruits, veggies, soups, etc.

We are also starting to experiment with freeze dried and dehydrated foods. This is a great way to store meats, fruits and veggies without need of a freezer. Once reconstituted they taste surprisingly good!

Of course, the most important thing to store is WATER. You can survive for weeks without food, but only a few days without water. Our family has two 55-gallon drums for water storage. Of course, this is not enough for a whole year, but it's a good amount. Also important to have a method of water purification.

We are also beginning to store toilet paper, soap and other misc household and toiltetry items. These are not a necessity, but would be nice to have.

Some of the most important things to remember when storing food (especially a large amount) are: Store what you will eat and Eat what you store. We make sure to put a date on every canned food item in our storage, that way we can ensure proper rotation. We have also set up a spreadsheet to track our food storage as it grows, and to remind us of how much we still need to reach our goal. We still have a long way to go, but I think we are taking big steps towards meeting our preparedness goals.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You're right about the water, sjespers. We have a crate of bottled water but the bulk of our water in an emergency would come from our 5000 litre rainwater tank.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Originally posted by Early Bird
    Right now, I'm looking at

In the freezer
    2 pkg pork chops, 2 beef roasts, 3 hams, 5 pkg bacon, 5 lb hamburger, 2 pkg chicken, shredded cheeses, chunk cheeses, frozen veggies, butter, frozen fruits, tortillas, bread, pre-made meals, green chilis, guacamole, frozen ravioli, pesto sauce, fish fillets

In the pantry
    pasta noodles, spaghetti sauce, Alfredo sauce, canned soups, canned beans, dried beans, lentils, condiments, 1 case canned tomatoes, ramen noodles, powdered milk, evaporated milk, flour, toilet paper, ziplock bags, cereal, DH's breakfast bars, rice

for sick days
    apple juice, tomato juice, tomato soup, chicken noodle soup, lotion tissues, ibuprophen, various otc meds

I could go three weeks without shopping, but it wouldn't be a fun 3 weeks. I could, though, seriously cut back on grocery spending for a few weeks, if I had to.
    Thats an awesome list! Thanks for sharing...Im making my list now, after reading yours...I never know exactly what I should get & usually end up going to town a couple times during the week

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have water stored as well and additional water for flushing toilets (in case of electrical outage) and water for the furbabies.