Starting a stockpile

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Starting a stockpile

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">This thread is a modification of my Could you Survive? Challenge. You can read it by clicking here:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">https://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&amp;threadid=57918&amp;perpage=40&amp;pagenumber=1<o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">STARTING A STOCKPILE
    I started mine by allocating $5 from my grocery budget for items on sale, and loss leaders. I only ever buy things I know I'll use and what will keep. When I built the stockpile to a reasonable size, I spent whatever was left over from the grocery budget on stockpile items.

Alternatively, if you can afford it, allocate a set amount for your stockpile. Sit down and work out what your family uses and eats. Look at your menu plan and your grocery list and write a list of every item that will sit on a shelf for a long time without an ill effects. Turn yourself into a squirrel - stockpile those items that are on sale, go searching in your neighbourhood for bargains and when you find something, snap it up and add it to your cupboard. Remember that stockpiling is an ongoing process so don’t be upset if you can’t start with a bang.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Go at it steadily so that you are sure that what you have is really what you need. <o:p></o:p>
    </SPAN>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">Start with things like:
    toilet paper, toothpaste, tooth brushes, tissues, tampons, shampoo, conditioner, soap
    anything canned - like soup, chick peas, beans, tomatoes, fruit, fish, condensed or evaporated milk (good for desserts and treats) etc
    anything dry - pasta, beans, rice, milk, flour, sugar, spices, oatmeal, cornmeal, stock cubes, tea, coffee.
    things in jars - honey, jam, pasta sauce, tomato paste.
    cleaning and laundry items: supplies for homemade laundry soap (soap flakes, washing soda and borax), white vinegar, bicarb soda,
    medical supplies:
    aspirin or paracetamol, bandaids, antiseptic wipes or cream, any medication your family needs - asthma puffers, your contraceptive pill<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>etc.<o:p></o:p>
    </SPAN>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">And don’t forget water.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>If you’re stockpiling for an emergency or for hard times, water is important.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>You never know when something will happen to your water supply lines or if there is a prolonged electrical blackout, the water pumps probably won’t operate.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>I have a crate of bottled water but I also have a 5000 litre rain water tank.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Find a safe, clean water container and fill it.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>This is something you’ll need replace every six months or so.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Don’t waste the old water.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Use it for cooking or on your plants.<o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">
    Only you know what you'll need. So study your buying habits and start putting away those items you buy every week, as well as those you use occasionally.

Of course, one of the great side effects of stockpiling is that theoretically, you should never have to pay full retail price for anything in the stockpile. By stocking your cupboard with loss leaders and sale items, you can "shop" from your stockpile, knowing that you're paying less than most other people who are shopping each week. So always keep your eye open for loss leaders and stock up on every item you use when you have a chance. If you can buy 20 cans of tomatoes for $5 (25c/can) and have them sitting in your cupboard waiting for the day you make spaghetti sauce or tomato relish, it's better than rushing out to the supermarket and paying full price for that same item, in my case 89c for normal retail canned tomatoes.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>By the time your 20 cans of tomatoes are used, they will have come on sale again, you should grab them and replenish your stockpile.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>So for emergencies, for saving time and money, stockpiling is a great strategy.

Just a quick word on dried goods. When you bring home things like flour, rice etc., whack it in the freezer for a week or so to kill any pantry moth larvae it might contain. I had an outbreak of pantry moths a few months ago and I had to throw out most of my dried goods. Always make sure you put dried goods in a sealed container when you open them as well. It's better to be safe than sorry.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN><o:p></o:p>
    </SPAN>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">Remember when you add to your stockpile to add goods to the back and take from the front.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Doing this will help you rotate your stock.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Always be guided by the “best before” or “use by” dates if your groceries have them.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>If they do, remember that they will need special attention and must be used before those dates.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN><o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P class=MsoBodyTextIndent style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">I hope I've inspired some of you to start stockpiling. It's a really good way of saving money, providing meals in hard times and saving time by not shopping at the supermarket when you're busy.<o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P class=MsoBodyTextIndent style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt"></SPAN>

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Great ideas! I have a small stockpile, but I'll be stocking up on everything this fall. Grocery shopping in snow is no fun!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks Rhonda. Great ideas. I completely cleaned out my pantry last night and organized, so now I know what I need and don't need.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks Rhonda. I'm starting a stockpile myself. This is for a couple of reasons. Firstly I want to have some organisation so I don't have to worry about things.

We watched a programme a couple of weeks ago about people being stranded in their cars overnight after a big snowstorm (this happened in England a couple of years ago). So I have a little emergency bag in the car - just a few things, torch, blanket etc).

Secondly, DH's salary is going tp be a considerable amount less in 6 months time. I want to start getting some stuff together now so it doesn't hurt as much. I'm hoping that a little hard work in the home now will save us a lot of strife next year!