what do you Stockpile?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default what do you Stockpile?

I'm sure this has been address but im fairly new here. I wonder if you all wouldn't mind sharing what kinds of things you stockpile?
    I don't know what we would do if we had to live in the house for more than a week without leaving.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I stockpile things like toilet paper, paper towels, shampoo, conditioner, canned goods (veggies, soups), cereal, and basically anything else that are loss leaders that won't go bad in the pantry. I unplugged my extra refrigerator to save on our energy bill, so I don't stockpile anything that can't fit in the upstairs kitchen fridge/freezer.
    Blog: http://amysreallife.com

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Mortgage - $377,836.63

Always remember others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself."

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like to stockpile things like muffin mixes, breads, crackers, canned goods, pastas & pasta sauces, tea bags, shampoo, conditioners, deodorants, body washes, lotions, cat food, bottled water & laundry supplies.
    HTH

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob AmyMCGS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Any personal care items that I can get super cheap-- shampoo, deoderant, toothpaste, etc.

Canned goods that are a great bargain-- especially canned tomatoes, certain soups, and corn.

Paper products- TP, tissues, paper towels-- although I usually come out about the same price-wise if I just buy the bulk packs at Sam's.

Soda. We are canned soda junkies, so whenever it's on a good sale I buy as much as I can.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I always have extra personal care products (shampoo, conditioner, soap, etc...), canned foods, TP, laundry soap making products.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I stockpile mostly HBA's (Health and Beauty Aids - shampoo, toothpaste, deoderant, etc.). In the past I've stockpiled a lot of canned goods, but recently I've done some pricing comparisons and it makes more sense for us to just buy in bulk at our warehouse store for most things. I'm also trying prepare more natural foods, so we're using a lot fewer canned goods.

And I have salad dressing and BBQ sauce that is at least 3 years old - so I hate stocking up on things that we don't use. Sometimes it has taken me a while to realize what exactly those things are. I've donated a lot to the food pantry this year before things expired.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Flour, sugar, oats, baking supplies, pasta, canned goods, meat (either frozen, or home-canned), soap, d/w & laundry detergent, shampoo, TP. Basically, stuff we use every day.

The things I buy every week are: milk, butter, fresh produce, yogurt, cottage cheese, sliced bread.

If I were unable to get to the store, we can mix powdered milk for drinking, and to make yogurt. We could also revert to canned fruits & vegetables (and frozen vegetables). I keep at least a month's worth of butter in the fridge. And I can bake bread, but it doesn't 'go' as well for sandwiches.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

And beans & rice, of course.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Pretty much all the others have said, but diapers too. Enough to make it through the month of the size he is on now and I have two packages of the next size up so that he can be wearing those while i wait for a sale or good coupons. I say that as a norm. but because of the bad weather we have had the stores have run out and we are using up his diaper stockpile.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I stockpile pretty much everything... When there is a good sale combined with coupons and I know it's something that I will use up before it expires(if it expires..like soaps,dish soap ect..) I buy as much as I can of that item..Example last week my store had 4pks AA,AAA & 2pks C's,D's of Panasonic Batteries on sale for .99 each...I had $1.00/1 any Panasonic Battery coupons..I ended up with over 400 Batteries..yes you read it right..I only paid tax on them and they will last me for a couple of yrs..I try to never run out of anything so I don't have to go to the convience store down the road (it's 3 minutes from my home) and pay 2 times the amount in an emergency situation only..
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I try to stockpile non-perishables. Soups,Canned Veggies,Tomatoes,Pasta, Bread and Muffin Mixes. Make sure you rotate your stock pile though. Its so easy to just buy something and just throw it into your pantry. So I make sure the newer stuff goes in the back and keeping the older stuff in front. Will help when you get low on your stockpile and don't have that expired item pop up on you.

I also try to do Toliet Paper, but that seems to go fast then I can buy it. But I do have a stockpile of Shampoo, Conditioner and Body Soap.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There are two different types of stockpiles.
    Style 1: Buy stuff that your family regularly uses when it is on sale. So, peanut butter is on sale this week and goes on sale every 6 weeks and your family goes through 1 jar per week, you buy 6 jars.

Style 2: Emergency preparedness. You need food to last so many days. Also, remember liquids - water, juices etc. Think a couple boxes of ramen noodles - if you don't eat them, they were cheap and if you do, you'll be grateful for them. Actually, our kids love them. Spaghetti, jar sauce, can soups etc. Charcoal/propane for the grill. What kind of emergency are you preparing for: evacuation or stuck in the house. Electricity?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In my freezer, I stockpile meats, frozen vegetables, flour, butter, bread, french fries , pierogies and cookies, cupcakes and muffins I bake.I hear cereal boxes can be frozen though I've never tried to do this.

In my pantry, I stockpile sodas, bottled water and canned goods such as vegetables, canned beans, and tuna. Also dried beans, pasta, rice and sugar, tea and coffee,oatmeal and other hot cereals, cornmeal and grits, salt, spices, syrup, canned and powdered milk.

I stockpile paper towels, shampoo and conditioners, detergent, dryer sheets, soap, toilet paper,tissues, napkins, paper plates and plastic cups and utensils.

Other things we stockpile are money(in the bank and our 401k), loose change and firewood, candles, matches, batteries and lightbulbs. Internet freebies to be used as stocking stuffers. Airline, hotel and cigarette points.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I pretty much stockpile non-perishables. Anything that has a long shelf life.

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I just stockpile things we use, for savings and convenience not for emergency preparedness.

I usually buy the limit on loss leaders (or as many as I have coupons for).

For the freezer, I buy as much milk as I can fit and usually 4 value packs of whatever meat is on sale. In the fridge I stockpile cheese (currently have more than 5kg). I have a closet in the basement for non-perishables and paper products/soap/etc. - I will typically buy a lot of canned tomatos/sauce, toilet paper, canned mushrooms, pop, apple juice, cereal, crackers, and Tide.

I always think it looks like I have an excessive crazy-lady amount of stuff, but every day we go through a can of apple juice, a box of cereal, 1/2 case of pop, and 2-3 litres of milk, so it disappears quickly.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast