light at the end of the tunnel
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Unhappy light at the end of the tunnel

Hi All,

Can someone please tell me there is a light at the end of this horrible debt tunnel?! After years of discussions, arguments, etc., dh and I are finally getting on the same page about eliminating our debt. Within a week of of committing to this, Murphy has tried to run us over!! Sick pet, plumbing problems, unexpected medical costs, and insurance premiums due (this wasn't unexpected but the timing couldn't be worse!!). It makes me scared to answer the phone, get the mail, or check my email because I'm scared of the next problem to come along.

I apologize for the whining, I guess I just needed a place to get this out

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Stacye, I'm here to tell you that there is light at the end of the tunnel..... but only if you turn on the switch. Now granted, someone or something will always come along and turn OFF the switch, but you just have to reach right back up there, and flip it on. If you leave the switch off, you'll just stay in the dark.

How's that for an analogy? Seriously, though, we have practiced debt free living for many years. I have to tell you that it isn't easy; it's a matter of priorities and sacrifice. And it's a matter of keep on keeping on when Murphy throws that switch. Keep thinking ahead.

We were just talking with an old friend tonight who has set himself and family on a 12 year plan. They are striving to be out of debt in 12 years, which includes the mortgage. He has back up plans for those unexpected events, at least as much as possible.

So I encourage you to keep looking at that light, and keep turning the switch back on!!
    Spiritual:
    "You are fearfully and wonderfully made." Please... respect life.

Financial:
    Debt free, hoping to stay that way!

MY BLOG: glorybug.wordpress.com

1. Keep on writing.
    2. Get some balance in my life.
    3. Lose weight. Hopefully 20# this year.
    4. Continue to be looking for how God wants to use me this year.

Registered User MakeADollarHollar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You've seen the light. You are being challenged to test your resolve in the matter.

"This is a test. Only a test. Do not adjust your station. Your regularly scheduled program will resume shortly."

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

THERE is light!!! Keep plugging away and you will get there. Trust me all these setbacks make you much wiser, determined and smarter in the end. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to throw my hand in the air and give up when we were digging out of our hole. Keep digging and never give up!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Stacye, look at how far you and your DH have come!!
    There will always be challenges, and now you are better prepared to handle them together. It is not easy, but it is easier that it would have been a year or two ago for the both of you to handle.

Challenges just don't disappear. what changes is the way we handle things.

DH and I have been on and off track for decades - and all the time we are getting closer and better at handling things and being on the same team - and yes, it is still a struggle at times - but we can't give up - and either can you!!

The light is certainly there!! Please keep us informed as to how you are doing!! You will be lighting the way for others who are just starting their journey!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yes, there is. But don't expect an magic. Numbers add only a certain way and there will be setbacks.
    Honesty w/ yourself is key. Put it all in writing. What you owe,what is likely to need fixing next and any upcoming expenese. I do mine monthly in pen. I end up revising it at least once.
    Start by listing everything you owe, At what rates,clean up anything overdue. Get that BEF in place soonest.

Crownfinancial.org. Find the calculator/accelerated debt section. It's all free. And a great tool to shape reality.
    Familiarize yourself w/ Dave Ramsey and live snowballing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Light at end of tunnel.....oh yes....but sometimes it will dim...think of life like the weather....we get rain, we get snow, we get fog, we get sunshine, and the sun goes down and the sun comes back up, and we get another day to go at it again

Get a little book, and track your income / expenses monthly. Then you can look back and see what your progress is. Always have a plan, and several back up plans. If you need extra money for a extra bill, either figure out a way out a way to bring in more or make cut backs on some of the existing bills.
    My favorite saying.......ONE PROBLEM AT A TIME. Just one

Registered User Iwant2BDebtfree's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You WILL get there. I always feel that way and now I am 4 months away from killing my debt. It has been a LONG road but with dedication and lots of support here you will make it also.

My dog had surgery last week to the tune of $1000 and we used savings $$ that we would have put on a CC a year ago. We just rerouted our brains and made sure we didn't stray from our goals. Good Luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There is a light.........and this is but a little curve in the road.

Keep trying.......that is the main thing.......you will get there!

If you are hating to 'look ahead' then take a look back at how far you have come! ANY progress helps!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Committing to fix your finances didn't cause this. It just made you MORE AWARE of the problem because you don't *want* to just pull out the plastic to make the problem go away.

Hang in there - do what you have to do - and you will get through this.

Registered User daughter of pearl's Avatar
    I live in an eastern suburb of Toronto in Canada, near Lake Ontario and lots of park land.
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Take some deep breathes and persevere through it! We're all here to support you.

Greebo, LOVE the new avatar!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I miss the panda - he'll be back soon.

Or Jafaar. Jafaar is much more in keeping with my curmudgeon persona

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Stayce, Just remember, if you are to eat an elephant, you would have to do it one bite at a time! Murphy is always lurking, just don't look at all the problems at one time! Pick a problem and CHOOSE a solution, implement, and then move on to the next problem. One problem at a time. It is very easy to get overwhelmed when you look at all of it in Whole. Just like the elephant, you would look at the size of that thing and think, "no way" but if you take a bite today and another tomorrow, after a while you would have eating the whole thing. LOL Be patient, nothing but good can come from getting out of debt!!!