Debt Free for a few years
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Debt Free for a few years

THought I'd post here as I'm too new to reply to most of you.
    I have been debt free for a few years. Went from big debt ...mortgage, credit cards, student debt for college all the way through to a Ph.D. and a small car loan. Then I lost a job...when I got the new one, mercifully that was quickly...I decided to keep my lifestyle LOW in the new location and pay down debt. Took about 7 years. My house sold, I'd had to move to a new state for the new job, fast. I only made a few thousand dollars but I got RID of a giant debt. The small profit paid off my 10 year old subaru wagon (bought used when someone killed my paid off corolla). Then, I started on the credit cards. When those were gone, the student debt. I remember sending off the final pay off on my student loans! Wonderful day.

I had to make quite a few changes even though I'd never been a serious spendthrift. I quit renting movies...the library has them. No cable TV, minimal phone service, walk when trips are under a mile, stopped using the credit cards until they were paid off and now have only 1 that I pay off every 2 weeks.
    And much more. Took on one frugal habit at a time. As life has progressed, I've added some new techniques (almost all clothes are thrift) and given up others.

Now I'm trying to build a home (SMALL...well under 1000sqfeet) without debt. I've got the land and the plans...and if I build over a number of years and stay healthy, it can happen. Sometimes it's hard to stay focussed on the longhaul.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

WTG Maggie..

You’ve been through quite a rough but eye opening journey glad you survived and thrived through all this.

Having bumpy rides will make you or break you..YOU are a true survivor and just the right person for people to look up to and ask advise.

So glad your here!
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You definitely are a survivor..thanks for sharing helps us get to know you a little better.
    Blessed and Highly Favored!!!!
    From $78K in debt to debt free and purchased a house and used car with 100% cash...God is sooo Good!!!

Goals:
    New to me vehicle

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm going to enjoy your posts. Hope you stick around
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Impressive journey! What area of science is your PhD in?
    Total paid/saved: $214 900
    Total goal: $304 900
    To do: $90 000

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks all. I was getting my "supportive" posts over at Dollar Stretcher, forums shutting down there, and need them...in real life people think I'm mostly nuts or at best, "local color". I mean who has a Ph.D. and lives in a shed? Unibomber and me. (I re-read my first post...forgot to mention that moved into a shed on my property 2 years and 2 months ago, was in a camper there for 6 months before that and part time before that...not a cool camper, an old one without wiring or heat). (I've made some drastic but doable choices)

The Ph.D. is in anthropology. Next to philosophy it is the least likely to make you any real cash, but super interesting. I do have a job in my field and make plenty of $$ for one thrifty person to live on. I work for a Tribe (I'm not a member) in Idaho and actually here, the living in a shed bit isn't all that rare, though it is for people with jobs. Having no debt is rare and I keep that on the quiet in my real life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well...it is cool with me where ever you live and regardless of your major/degree...I live a life of "inclusion" and believe the more diversified we are the better...lots of interesting points of view! Welcome and I look forward to your posts!!
    Blessed and Highly Favored!!!!
    From $78K in debt to debt free and purchased a house and used car with 100% cash...God is sooo Good!!!

Goals:
    New to me vehicle

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks all. I was getting my "supportive" posts over at Dollar Stretcher, forums shutting down there, and need them...in real life people think I'm mostly nuts or at best, "local color". I mean who has a Ph.D. and lives in a shed? Unibomber and me. (I re-read my first post...forgot to mention that moved into a shed on my property 2 years and 2 months ago, was in a camper there for 6 months before that and part time before that...not a cool camper, an old one without wiring or heat). (I've made some drastic but doable choices)

The Ph.D. is in anthropology. Next to philosophy it is the least likely to make you any real cash, but super interesting. I do have a job in my field and make plenty of $$ for one thrifty person to live on. I work for a Tribe (I'm not a member) in Idaho
    Your own lifestyle, coupled with your study of anthropology, is an interesting irony. Cool!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You've done tremendously well.

Welcome!!!
    2020 Pay Off Debt Challenge: $25,675.45/$25,676.45 (Goal COMPLETED: Pay Off By 12/30/2020)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks all! One of my BIG goals for 2018 is to get that foundation and roof on the new home done so I only spend a few more winters in the wee shed (which is slightly not entirely legal in my county as a dwelling...but what are they gonna do? The woman down the road lives in a horse trailer for the past few years and they haven't kicked her out).
    Then save up for a another year and try to start on the walls. The first floor will be cordwood and cob, if all goes to plan, and I will be doing a test-build of a small outbuilding with that technique this year to see if I can really do it. If I can't, then I replan and reassess on what to make the walls out of.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

wow what an inspirational story you have! I admire you! I am a spendthrift, and that's the bad habit, character defect of mine that needs to change. I need discipline and accountability. I wish you the best, you really have inspired me!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks Patra...we all have our personal challenges. Goodness knows I have mine! Good luck on your journey.