Frugal Village Forums banner

more baby steps ....you guys are a bad influence

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  latierra84 
#1 ·
:ponder:
I am not spending as much money thanks to you all! My mind set has changed a bit in the past few months:

Example #1 :The rubber weather strip on the bottom of my stormdoor was peeling off as it caught in the ice. My initial thought was to add it to my errand list, after all, it is only $5 for another peel and stick weather strip...but then I figured, try to fix it, so I got my hot glue gun out, and glued it back onto the metal storm door, and I figure if it holds for a bit longer, I am good.

Example #2: I had some "fancy" shower curtain metal hangers with little ceramic flowers on them that I got on sale a few years ago. A a few days ago the metal broke on the curve on one of them, darnest thing. Again, my 1st instinct was that I need to go out and buy some more "fancy" shower curtain hangers. I have some plain old plastic ones kicking around that came with the shower curtain liners, but I really like my flowered ones, sooooo....I got out my duct tape & wraped it around the metal hook and I think it will hold for now.

Example #3..there are several movies out on DVD or payperview that I would love to see. But instead of buying them or paying $3 to rent, I rediscovered my local library. I went online to the catalog of items, and found all the movies I wanted to see. Unfortunately they are so popular most are all checked out when I go in, but I figure just keep going back to check them and eventually I can get to watch them, I just keep of list in my purse.

So I guess the point is, it is the little things that add up to saving $$ by changing our mindset, thanks guys! This forum rules!! :weeping:

See less See more
#3 ·
Well good for you!

I sell on Ebay and always have a eye out for free boxes and packages.

I was coming home from Goodwill yesterday and saw a few great boxes and we in and asked if I could have them(Chiropractors office) and they said sure.

Not only are the boxes great but they were FILLED with unused package wrapping paper sheets! About 50 of them!

Once upon a time I would have been to embarrassed to ask to have the boxes but not now! LOL!

#5 ·
That's a great find Cricketlegs, just think those boxes would have gone to a landfill if you had not found a use for them. I guess by changing our mindset we are also helping ( a tiny bit) to avoid generating more waste.

#6 ·
claimsgirl, you're off to a great start....just keep that money in the bank!!

as a side challenge, keep a tab on the computer or on a plain notebook of all the money you would've gone to spend to fix things around the house (but didnt) and see how much money you've saved by the months end or - this time next month. you'd be amazed at how much you can trim and from where! :lol:

#7 ·
I think it's wonderful... all it boils down to is changing your way of thinking from gosh I need to go buy new ones to I can fix that without spending a penny. It's fun in the long run too! :)

#8 ·
Great Job! My mindset has changed alot too! I went and picked out new glasses today and immediatly I found a pair in the most expensive frame section. I took those same glasses over to the least expensive section and found a comparable pair. My bonus for doing that was I could get the less expensive lenses as well. My insurance paid for 150.00 of it and I paid 145.00. That is the least expensive pair of glasses I have ever gotten. All very comparable to what I had. The saleslady kept pushing for me to buy more. I stood my ground.
I am sooooooooo glad I found FV

#9 ·
Julie - That's awesome... I do that too when I am shopping around for things.. I take let's say the generic brand over to the Brand Name and I compare ingredients, etc... I always buy the generic :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.