Looking for part-time work @ least $10. per hour
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Looking for part-time work @ least $10. per hour

Hi. I'm a high school teacher who has taken a pay cut for the past 2 years. I really need a part time job that earns me at least $10. per hour bc it would really be difficult for me to give up my free time for less than that.

I have a bachelor's degree in Political Science and a Masters in Education and 12 years teaching experience.

I thought it would be great to earn extra money getting paid for something I already do. I walk my dog at the park RELIGIOUSLY every day. Two weeks ago I put an ad on Craig's List offering to include other dogs with us for a 5-day a week hourly walk for $40. per week with me picking up and dropping off and I haven't had even one bite. Personally, I think that sounds very reasonable.

I'm thinking of making a flier to put up in veterinary offices but haven't gotten to it yet.

Anyone have any ideas of something I could do for 10-15 hours per week that would make me at least $10. per hour. From home would be the best.

I don't think I could go into retail and make that much money--especially not in this economy. And I don't want to devote 20 or 25 hours per week to make some extra money.

I live in Richmond, Virginia and would love to hear from anyone who's made something like this work.

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My pet-sitter charges $25/visit, if that is something you might be interested in. You might want to check out Pet Sitters International for more information on that.

If you don't mind getting your hands dirty, you can clean houses. My cousin does that and earns beaucoup bucks. I used to have a house-cleaner who came in twice monthly, and I paid her $150 per visit. She could usually knock the whole house out in less than four hours.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Have you contacted a temp agency? I used to do light office work (reception, switchboard, data entry) and it paid good money ($9 an hour, and that was 20 years ago). I think being in a big city there would be several offices you could call. The work is irregular, but it is professional.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I work in retail at $10.00 an hr. and it is part time..Hours are slow this time of year now that the holidays are over..You might want to tutor after school since you a teacher..my boss ladys are retired school teachers and they have 10 kids for 1 hr a week. They charge $10 per hr and in a small area to have 10 of them is good really..you could do 2 a day 5 days a week and that would just be a couple hours a day extra..

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How about tutoring? I paid a fortune in tutors for our youngest. I'm positive I bought one teacher a car! More then $10 an hour too!

Opps! Brat already suggested that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for info/ideas.

I have no problem cleaning houses but I am soooo bad at it and so hate even doing my own house--I'm always injuring myself. It think that's something for people who love to clean and not someone like me.

So far, I can't even get a response to my ad for the 5 one hour daily walks per week for $40. with me pick up/drop off and I think that is a tremendous deal!

I could see me having the pet walking job evolve into pet sitting as well. But I have to get responses to my ad.

The thing about retail is that it's mindless. Just show up, do the job and get paid. However low the pay is I don't have to worry about anything but doing the work. But I can't do it for less than $10. per hour.

Tutoring is absolutely an option and I've done it before, charging $25, per hour. People will easily pay this. But they drop out very quickly. I may put another ad on Craigslist for this as well as it's near the end of the 1st semester.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

With a teaching degree I'd definitely look at tutoring. There are even online tutoring sites. Look also at the tutoring businesses in your area- they pay more than $10 per hour. There are places here that do cognitive training and things like that and hire teachers for more than $10 per hour. Many teachers have "side jobs" in our area. Some teach "club" type classes at community centers or at the schools themselves. Jobs also pop up grading standardized tests that pay well in some areas. I believe they are through the temp agencies. Good luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

homeschooling parents often need a certified teacher (or other people depending on state rules) to proctor particular tests. might be worth looking into

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

When I tutored, I charged what local piano teachers charged, and had several students. But of course, if you do your job well, you work yourself right out of the job!!

I would suggest adjunct teaching at a local college/university. I used to teach night school for a university and made $60 an hour. I taught one night a week, for 4 hours. That $240 a week meant almost an extra thousand per month. Now I teach at a community college, again as an adjunct. The pay is lower there: $30 an hour. I teach 2 classes per semester, with each class meeting 4 hours per week. But that's still not bad. I can do this on a Monday and Wednesday morning from 8 until noon. Others, because they have day jobs, teach night class. I have found that the community college is very grateful to have adjuncts. I'm not teaching this term (my choice), but they certainly wanted me to teach, and have already asked me to please teach next term. I could have all the work I could handle!

Hope these suggestions work for you. Let us know what happens!
    Spiritual:
    "You are fearfully and wonderfully made." Please... respect life.

Financial:
    Debt free, hoping to stay that way!

MY BLOG: glorybug.wordpress.com

1. Keep on writing.
    2. Get some balance in my life.
    3. Lose weight. Hopefully 20# this year.
    4. Continue to be looking for how God wants to use me this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You might be able to teach an adult night class how to do something like stained glass or how to use a computer, something like that that people will enjoy learning. I even saw someone do a christmas cookie baking/swap at the school for adult night. Personally, I wouldn't pay $45 for someone to walk my dog everyday when there are probably kids who would be willing to do it for $5.

My next door neighbor paid my DD $5 a day to feed and water his dog when he went on vacation for a week or so. When he was gone for longer, he had his Mother stay at his house and do it for free. There is your competition.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Along the lines of tutoring...have you considered checking into the availability of homebound students in your school district? My mom did it for years, and now my sis does it. The pay comes directly from the school district based on your regular salary, so its possible that you could get more than with regular tutoring...and the work is usually a lot steadier.

I'd also check into adult ed classes, both at local places and online. Universal Class pays well for teachers.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would not pay a stranger to walk my dog, but that's just me. It would have to be someone I know and trust, and is familiar with my dog (who is WELL behaved and leash trained) Especially since I won't be around to see how they treat my animal.
    We have so much trouble here with Craigslist scammers, thieves and weirdos, you might want to place your ad somewhere else. Like your Vet, who can verify your skills/character to potential clients.
    Last edited by stinkbug; 01-17-2011 at 06:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I agree with the tutoring suggestions. Craigslist here has "tutoring school" ads all the time!! When I look through the job offers they are always hiring. Maybe even something like that in the evening would be good. Then people are coming to the "school/center" and they are just assigned or given TO you! No searching or waiting on your part

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Can apply to Tutor.com and tutor online.

Applying to Become a Tutor - Become a Tutor.com Tutor