share some ideas for a small homebased business
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default share some ideas for a small homebased business

I have ran a dayhome for the last 6 years. I am tired of it, my kids are both in school and I feel because I am at home with other peoples kids I am missing out on my kids events. I would love a homebased business I can do from home...I am in Alberta, Canada..we can't legally operate any foodbased business out of our home...I would love to do something like that though...and I can't afford to rent commercial kitchen space...and good luck finding it. I would like to sell something but it seems so does everyone else. I am not into candles, jewelry or make up. Pampered chef,, Watkins and epicure arent bad but there are about 20 people in town selling it. I don't know if there is something different that we don't have up here that is available from the states for me to sell. I like the kitchen stuff...dishes, utensils, spices etc. If you have any ideas for me send them my way. I really love being at home for my kids but I am feeling smothered and tied down when I should be able to be active in their schooling.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in Alberta too and I know exactly how you feel. I am still running my dayhome but am not sure it is still what I want to do now that mine are all back in school.

I'll be watching to see what ideas people have for you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I want to be home when mine get home but I just feel stuck here now they are gone all day...and I can't drag 3-4 kids across town to the school events so I miss out...I hate that. We used to live right across from their school and it wasnt an issue walking across the street but now we moved into the new house its clear across town and to load them all up isnt worth it. I do it as much as possible. I would love a homebusiness but not something that 14 other people are doing.

Where abouts are you in our snow filled province? I'm in Lloyd.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know of a woman that had her kitchen certified ( if that is what it is called in Canada) to run a bakery out of her house and kitchen. Not sure what providence though if that matters.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in the Hat.
    I only have 3 extra kids right now and they are all in school too so I love that. I had 2 more kids but they just moved away so now I'm not making enough and need to find more kids. If I can find a couple more that just need before and after school care I will be thrilled. I'm just not sure how I feel about taking in younger kids right now. I like being able to go to school functions and volunteer at the school when needed.
    I do decorate cakes for people but don't make enough to stop the daycare.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

here's a few ideas..... looks like they all have Canada opportunities as well....

pampered chef
    The Pampered Chef

tastefully simple
    Tastefully Simple - Home

southern living at home
    work at home, wahm, home party plans, direct sales companies, Canada party plans, direct sales companies in Canada - southern living at home

also - http://order.tupperware.com/coe/app/...ty.opportunity BUT I couldn't find if it was available in Canada.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There is goverment incentive to take just before and after school kids but the $140/month isnt worth it, I can still only take 4 kids at $5/hour....I might make $30 a day most don't need before school care. I have done cakes too...but I don't do it enough.

I would like a inhome...in your home baking...you want your Xmas baking done call me and I will come into your house, bake it, put it in your deepfreeze ready for you...then I don't have to worry about health codes etc. I know a girl here who set up a facebook group and sold stuff at Xmas...the health inspector was called...her house was inspected and she was fined...first it was dirty and she doesnt have a business licence the city required. If she hadnt set up the facebook page nad just went by word of mouth she would have been fine but she advertised publicly.

I have thought of Pampered chef...I have quite a bit of their stuff, had a party not that long ago...same with Tupperware...same with Sunset Gourmet. We have 3 people in the dayhome association that I work for that sells Discovery toys...and tupperware. I know the Pampered chef lady sign me up under her quickly and the tupperware chick offered the other day but I want something that no one else is doing...if there is such a thing anymore.

I am going to look into the Tastefully simple ...I don't know anyone selling that here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've looked at alot of the different home party and catalog businesses but there are already so many people selling different stuff around here. I don't want to start something and just be another rep for it.

I used to sell Regal and I think I am going to look into that again. I'll also have to check to see how many reps they have in the area too.

Hopefully the Tastefully Simple will be good for you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~How about being a re-seller on Ebay or Half.com? If you can pick up books and movies at yard sales or thrift stores you can resell them on Ebay or other auction sites.
    Another thing that is just starting to become popular is Cloth Diaper parties. It works like Tupperware parties only the attendees get to see different brands, styles and types of CD in person. This is especially popular in young communities like military communities. The young CD's are often doing it for environmental reasons and not frugal ones so they'll pay $15 a piece and you get a cut. http://www.clothdiapersuperstore.com...iate_info.asp~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

To make some extra income you can donate blood.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by bluebuff View Post
    To make some extra income you can donate blood.
    Not in Canada. I do donate blood but we don`t get paid for it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by nuisance26 View Post
    ~How about being a re-seller on Ebay or Half.com? If you can pick up books and movies at yard sales or thrift stores you can resell them on Ebay or other auction sites.
    Another thing that is just starting to become popular is Cloth Diaper parties. It works like Tupperware parties only the attendees get to see different brands, styles and types of CD in person. This is especially popular in young communities like military communities. The young CD's are often doing it for environmental reasons and not frugal ones so they'll pay $15 a piece and you get a cut. http://www.clothdiapersuperstore.com...iate_info.asp~
    I love yard sales and second hand stores...I do sell quite a bit of stuff on the local facebook buy and sells...I have run out of stuff now but spring cleaning is coming. I don't think I could make a decent income a month on it but it would definately supplement a lower income (part time ) job.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would say to get into making candles or soapmaking.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

When I was selling at a booth in a craft mall, the one woman who made a profit month after month was a lady who made those microwaveable rice bags that you use on sore backs and such. If you like to sew or have a sewing machine, they would be fairly low on overhead (fabric, thread, rice), and you could try selling them on eBay or Etsy, or take them to local craft/fabric shops and see if they'll sell them on commission.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just wanted to recommend you read a book I am currently reading. I live in the states but like you am looking for something to do from home. This book [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Making-Money-Home-Successful-Home-Based/dp/1589976088/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299091879&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Making Money from Home: How to Run a Successful Home-Based Business (9781589976085): Donna Partow: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@51MEvyum-OL[/ame] has so much information and ideas in it. I have been reading or I should say studying it for the past week and I have gotten so much information. You might be able to get from the library if not, it is definitely worth the money.
    Good Luck on what ever you do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast