Some Important Things To Know When Selling On Ebay.
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Some Important Things To Know When Selling On Ebay.

I have been selling about a year and have learned so much by going to the Answer Center at Ebay. Here are a few of the important things I've learned as a seller. The best advice I can give for any new seller or even those who have been selling for awhile is to Community and click on the Answer Center and the Discussion Boards on Ebay and read up on all of the rules and read what problems others are having. But do be carefull posting there. If you are doing something illegal like an off-ebay sale or have things in your listings that are not ebay policy, they will report you. If they tell you you are doing something wrong be sure to fix it right away and you will be fine.

#1. As of Aug. 19, 2005..any seller who accepts PayPal MUST accept credit cards, echeck, debit/credit....period. If you even mention Paypal in your auctions listing you have to accept all forms of paypal payment. You are not allowed to pick and choose. Otherwise you can only accept money orders/cashiers checks for auction payments.

Personal Accounts are not allowed to be used for selling. You can get into alot of trouble for avoiding the service by using a Personal Account. Your auctions can be reported and your account can and will be suspended. Paypal can and does even go back after your Personal Account and acess fees on items sold under your personal account if they catch you doing this!

You need to upgrade to a Premier or Business Account right away. When you have a Premier Account, you have Seller Protection against claims of Non-Receipt of Goods, you have NO protection with a Personal Account, even if you had a video tape of them receiving it you would lose a claim. Use the SPP all the time, build the cost of Delivery Confirmation and Paypal fees into the shipping cost.

In order to have Seller Protection with PayPal you must do the following for each transaction, you cannot skip a step.

**Ship within 7 days of receiving payment
    **Ship to the confirmed address on the transaction page from PayPal (verified does not count)
    **Ship with online tracking such as Delivery Confirmation with the USPS that shows delivered. Payments over $250 require Signature Confirmation Your package must be 3/4" thick at it's thickest point to get this service at the USPS unless you are using Priority Mail or Express Mail,use mailing peanuts or chunks of shipping styrofoam in the package if you need height.
    **Have a Premier/Business Account
    **If your buyer wins multiple auctions, they must pay in one consolidated payment to ship in one package.

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr...cy_spp-outside

#2. Never take Paypal as payment if you are having the item picked up or for local delivery. Get the cash, check, or MO in your hand. The reason being, if they pay by Paypal and you deliver the item to them or they pick it up, they can go back to paypal and say they never recieved the item and since you have no proof of delivery, ebay will side with them and you will lose all of your money. For local delivery you have a really good signed receipt that would stand up in court like a copy of your invoice with both of your signatures on it.

#3. Unless you are having a Buy It Now or one day auction you need to give your buyers up to 7 days to pay. Most sellers allow up to 10 days to receive payment when a money order is being sent. Once the 7 days has passed you will need to file an Unpaid Item dispute. Wait for the dispute to clear and if the buyer made on response to your dispute, ebay will refund your fees. At that time you an re-list your item to sell. Otherwise, if you relist it before going through this process and you sell it again and the 1st seller pays in the meantime, you end up with 2 buyers and one of them will definitely report you as a Non-Performing Seller and you will get a strike against you. If you are going to leave them negative feedback, wait until this whole process is over with and just give the detail of the date auction ended, date dispute filed, and date ebay refunded you. Make it without personal comments or judgements. It will make you look like a professional seller.

#4. Saying an item is sold "as is" or no refunds, or seller not resposible after item is shipped means nothing on ebay if the buyer used paypal. They can still file a claim against you with paypal to get their money back. If Paypal sides with the buyer they get their refund and you are out $10.00 additional dollars because Paypal stepped instead of you not refunding the buyer. Example #1...you shipped an item but failed to purchase delivery confirmation and the buyer says they never received the item. Paypal will ask you for proof of your delivery confirmation and when you can't provide it, paypal will side with the buyer and refund them. Example #2...You sell an electronic item and say "it works". Buyer gets it and says it's "not working now". You say "too bad". I said sold "as is". They file a dispute with ebay saying "item not as described". Since the electronic item is not working, they win the dispute and get their refund and you get the broken electronic item back!

#5. You are not allowed to say you have a seperate shipping and handling fee that will be added to your invoice. You MUST build the shipping and handling fee into your "shipping" costs. Say mailing costs is $2.00 and you need to charge $1.00 for the packaging, gas, etc. There will be a place to add that in when you submit your shipping and handling fees and the buyer will not know how much you allowed for those fees. It will all be combined.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Re: Some Important Things To Know When Selling On Ebay.

Originally posted by dolphin

Personal Accounts are not allowed to be used for selling.
    I just searched ebay and PayPal high and low and could not confirm this.

from ebay:
    PayPal Payments Policy

Sellers who offer PayPal as a payment option on eBay (either using logos or text in the item description) must accept all forms of PayPal payment including account balance, bank account transfer, and credit cards. Sellers must have a Premier or Business PayPal Account or be willing to upgrade from a Personal PayPal Account to a Premier or Business Account if sellers receive a credit card payment. Sellers may not communicate to buyers that they accept, or will not accept, specific forms of PayPal payment.

Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions, including:

Listing cancellation

Forfeiture of eBay fees on cancelled listings

Limits on account privileges

Loss of PowerSeller status

Account suspension

Some Examples

Listings Allowed:

“I accept all forms of PayPal payment"

Listings Not Allowed:

“I accept PayPal but do not accept credit card payments through PayPal”

“I only accept PayPal if the bid amount is greater than $15”
    from PayPal:
    Use of PayPal on eBay

Notice Date: July 14, 2005
    Effective Date: August 19, 2005
    Beginning August 19, 2005, if you sell on eBay and offer PayPal, your PayPal account must accept all forms of payment including payments made via credit card, regardless of whether you display the PayPal logo with credit card icons. You must have a Premier or Business PayPal Account or be willing to upgrade from a Personal PayPal Account to a Premier or Business Account if you receive a credit card payment. You may not communicate to eBay buyers (e.g. via your eBay item description) that you only accept, or will not accept, specific forms of PayPal payment.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sorry I did not make that statement more clear and I do not have the "edit post" feature available so I cannot change it.

It should read........

"Personal Accounts cannot be used for selling when you indicate that you accept Paypal in your auction listing. "

What some do is give the buyer their paypal personal account email addy or link to pay with at the end of the auction. This is avoiding paypal fees and is not allowed. I did this at first so that I wouldn't have to pay the fees but once I got my first credit card payment I had to either upgrade or deny the payment. Found out I could be reported for denying the payment so I upgraded to Premier Account immediately. You can use your Personal Account for selling when you only accept cash, money orders, checks, or cashiers checks.

Thanks,

Carolyn

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for this information. I have had a business account with Paypal since I started, so luckily this is one issue I wont' have to deal with. All information is helpful though, as I'm going to be trying to sell more than a few items this month to pay for this new bad boy computer I just got (used of course )

Cindy