Has anyone heard of SMC??
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Has anyone heard of SMC??

Good morning everyone, I had a question about the company of SMC or known as Specialty Merchandise Corp. The company lets you buy any kind of products at wholesale price and you can sell it anywheres at your price. They say that there is over 30,000 products to choose from. If you sell on ebay they have all the information ready to download onto your page (I guess that is what you do) but anyways, after the sale is final they will ship the product for you so there is no extra work for you of going and shipping the product for you. I guess there is alot of choices that you can do with this business. Is there anyone who uses or know anymore information??? Thank you....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've never heard of them but the first thing I think of when I hear about these companies is: How many other people are selling the same items on Ebay? Are these items unique and a good deal or are they something I can get at the Dollar store for a $1? How much money needs to be invested to get started? What's my profit margin?

Not to discourage you but when something seems to good to be true it usually is. Just do your research.

Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob baronmom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I actually belong to them. I really never sold anything. What do you want to know about them? I am up for renewal from my membership right now. I really don't like the stuff they have in their catalogs that much. They have a few nice things, but it is mostly knick knack stuff. There are exceptions. I did get a 5 piece luggage set for a nice price.

Some of the stuff is unique. Your profit margin can be very good as long as you are a good salesman and know where to go to sell them. Not sure if Ebay would work out that way or not. They do not have name brand things per say. It is mainly household things. As I said up at the beginning, knick knacks and things. They do add things every year. I have not bought anything from them in a while. I do have to admit that "our price" and the retail price can be a very big difference.
    Last edited by baronmom; 07-20-2007 at 07:01 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was looking into SMC so I can maybe sell on Ebay or even go a flea market,farmers market and other events with some of the products to go along with the crafts that I make to sell. The only thing that scared me was the payment plan or the one shot payment to have this. Are you going to rejoin? I thought even I bought items out of it for gifts and what nots it would be cheaper then the walmart or the other stores. I have not received my information yet but I am sure it will be here tomorrow. The good thing about this is I have 30 days to return it and get my money back so I have to make up my mind right off. Thanks for everyone input. Like always I know where to come for help...

Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob baronmom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I probably will, but right now I don't have the extra money. That is the only reason that I would wait. It is nice to have just in case I need to get some things from the catalog because some of the things are really less expensive getting them from the catalogs.
    I have seen people selling stuff from SMC at Farmers markets. I am guessing that if you are a good sales person, and can get some good leads, you could make money. My problem is I am not a sales person. I hate asking people to buy things from me. Good luck with it if you choose to do it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you for the help. I guess I will just take a good hard look at it and then go from there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SMC has been around since like the 70's. I remember the old commercials on TV about doing it as a mail order business. I would run away personally. Or at the very least goggle SMC feedback or some such combination and learn from folks that have already joined.

I don't remember the actors name but he was the dad on "Happy Days" and he was the person on the SMC commercials for the longest time

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Tom Bosley is on the commercials still. I actually requested info from them, so they called me. Those were the highest pressure tactics, I tell ya. And after a 30 minute yacking, the guy got PO'd that I even requested infor and I couldn't afford to make the big payment and/or pay 25 bucks a month for services I Might not make jack from. He said "Why did you even bother asking for more information is you're too poor to even pay out 25 dollars to make a ton of money?"...I was like WTF. I told him he had a lot of nerve and I would report him to a supervisor and proceeded to hang up on him. They keep sending me stupid offers in the mail though, even after he said this was the only contact they would try to make with me.