Thread: housecleaning?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default housecleaning?

Anyone do this??

What's your experience?

What do you charge?

Any tips for someone mulling it over?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been thinking about doing this, as well. I will be watching this thread for more tips! My first job was working for condos, and I really enjoyed it. Cleaning is so relaxing! I have a 1 year old son, so I'd have to take him with me.

So yeah. Tips on how much to charge, where to advertise, if it's even logical that I do housekeeping with my son. (I have a mei tai carrier, so I can wear my son while cleaning, not a problem!)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

bumping. anxious to hear what ppl have to say

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had my own cleaning biz for 10 years. Not sure what the going rate's are now. Try calling different cleaning services in your area and ask them what they charge. Act like a potential customer. Ask them what all is included, etc... Make sure you get bonded and insured. PM me and I'll try to answer any questions you may have.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by JustJoy View Post
    I had my own cleaning biz for 10 years. Not sure what the going rate's are now. Try calling different cleaning services in your area and ask them what they charge. Act like a potential customer. Ask them what all is included, etc... Make sure you get bonded and insured. PM me and I'll try to answer any questions you may have.

can you explain "bonded and insured"?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

go to www.workplacelikehome.com or www.wahm.com. One of those sites has a forum for cleaning businesses. Ladies there tell what they charge and what cleaning supplies they use.

HTH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A bond is a amount of money, put up by a bonding company, that gurantees that you are of good character and not a criminal. The bonding company will do a background check on you, to establish that you are worthy of being "Bonded".

Once you are bonded, the Bonding company gurantees the employer that if you DO steal, they will pay the employer back for your theft amount. It is a type of insurance.

As for insurance....do a search for "insurance and the small business owner".
    Last edited by JustJoy; 10-03-2007 at 12:36 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My sister had a housekeeper, she came every other week. Cleaned the whole house and did a few loads of laundry. My sis paid her $75, but she wasn't doing a very good job. I offered to do it for $50, but she pays me $60. It usually takes me about 3 hours. I clean all her floors (wood), do the dishes, clean bathrooms, dust, a load or two of laundry, windows, that sort of thing. I haven't done it in a few months, but she usually will just email me and ask when she needs some cleaning.

I bring my own cleaning stuff. I prefer to use natural cleaning supplies.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My step-mom cleans houses. She has a set amount of regular customers, some she does weekly, some she does every two weeks. I asked her once what she would charge to do my house. I have around 2700 sq ft of living space with two bathrooms. She said if I were a customer (and not family)she would charge around $125 since it was what she called an "all day job". That means she would have to spend about 5-6 hours cleaning it to her standards. The more bathrooms and the bigger the kitchen, the more she charges. She brings all of her own supplies.

My mom has a housekeeper that spends every Thursday from 8:00 - 3:30 and every Friday from 8:00 - 12:00 cleaning her house. Her lady does everything from mopping, dusting, changing bedsheets, vacuuming, windows, any laundry my mom has not done(which is not much), bathrooms, etc... She has been working for my mom for over 10 years. The last time I asked my mom she pays her $250 a week after taxes are taken out. So it works out to be a little over $300 before my mom pays the taxes. My mom furnishes all of the supplies and provides transportation to and from her house for her.