How do you make extra money? - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I answer surveys online, I sell a discontinued line of plasticware online (for over 10 years now) and I work PT at an independent motorcycle shop (small salary, BUT I get a great discount on parts, tires, service). About a year ago I started petsitting. It has really taken off! It has gotten to the point that I have had to turn people down because I have too much work!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do online surveys. I don't make as much as some people here do, but I also don't put tons of time into it. I probably average $10 a month. After several years I've finally broken through and gotten into some focus groups and in-person panels that pay more. Right now I'm on one panel that pays $50 a month in Amazon gift cards and once a year I do a local in person survey group that takes about an hour and a half but pays $100.

I also sell on eBay and local Facebook sites. I'm starting to have better luck on Facebook sites than eBay. Most of what I sell is baby stuff my kids have outgrown or beauty products that I win in online contests.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was going to say, over the past week I looked into the 'online survey' thing, and it appears to be more trouble than anything else. You end up spending loads of time on it and get paid next to nothing. I would say figure out what youre good at and charge a flat rate on kijiji. I am looking at the free section almost everyday for items I can flip. That is always an option given the fact that people often throw away great items. I will let you all know how that goes for me by the end of summer. Might be an option for some of you!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How do I make extra money? Any way I can lol!

I signed up as a distributor for a direct sales company. I was already using their products and saving a ton of money which was awesome so now I'm hoping to generate a little money too.

I participate in focus groups a few times a year.

I participate in a health research study once or twice a year depending on the expectations and length.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

On August 26th & 27th I will earn $125.00 per day for working a local tax sale for a buyer. This used to be a side job for me about 4 times a year, but many tax sales are now online only & the buyer has to do it themselves. Got to go out of town, sleep in a nice hotel & eat in expensive restaurants on their dime. Doesn't happen like that anymore.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm selling rocks and toe rings on Ebay - rockdude68

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I work at home writing articles and have a work at home job doing customer service work. Thanks for all the great ideas. Looking to pay off a bill that has come due and will put some of these ideas to use.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For those of you who do mystery shopping, do you belong to any of the "organizations" that you can certify with? Like the MSPA? I'm wondering if it is worth the $20. Thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

During the past 25 years, my full-time job has been teaching at a college. For extra money, I've published textbooks for four publishing companies, done tax work, taken on administrative duties (Chair of Accounting/Economics), and taught extra classes during the regular term and in the Summer. I've also taught as an adjunct at other universities. Another teacher and I also owned a small publishing company for 8 years.

In retrospect, for me, I learned to place a value on my free time. You can never get the time spent working back. I wish I had worked less and saved more.
    Kim
    The Lord will provide

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default How do you make extra money?

I work full time by day. My goal is to ultimately make sufficient income in my side business to be able to quit my job and work for myself (perhaps after taking early retirement, which I am eligible for in 6.5 years). If nothing else, I'll be in a MUCH better position if I or my husband lose our jobs. Last year I made roughly 25-30% of my total income from my side business, while spending an average of about 2 hours a day on it during the weekdays.

I teach 90 minute webinars (currently just once a month - eventually I may increase the frequency), which earn an average of $200-500 each (plus potential minor residual income from selling the recordings).

I lead online study groups for two different exams, which last 16 weeks (2 hours per night, one night per week per exam). Those earned me roughly $7300 last year for 64 hours of time (equivalent to $115/hour).

I lead online "exam crams" for those same certification exams, which are 6 week (90 minutes per night, one night per week) long intensive review sessions. I offered those exam crams back to back on one night for two exams, so 3 hours one night a week for 6 weeks earned me ~$2500 last year. ($138/hour).

This year I added a new series of study groups for a different set of exams. I offered a 7 week and a 6 week study group for two exams this month, which brought in roughly $2000 for 26 hours of time ($77/hour).

I offer one on one tutoring online (you could use skype to do this). I charge $50 an hour for my services.

I incur almost no expenses for my business. I have to pay approximately $180 per year for a webinar service which records all the sessions for me. I pay about $10 a year for a web domain and $100 for a web hosting service. The website is not absolutely necessary, but I like having it and I think it makes my business look more established. I pay about 3% in collection fees to paypal - well worth it to me to not have to deal with having people mail me checks. I also pay taxes (because I report all this income). Right now, I do almost no marketing, but I plan to change that in the future. I deduct my expenses, such as my new laptop computer and microphone headset and the webinar /paypal fees.

If I needed to upgrade to the service that allows me to have more students in my classes, it costs $780 a year (or I could go on a monthly plan for just the months I needed it). Getting 8 additional students in my study group pays for that option for the entire year and I can utilize that increased capacity in all my online events/groups. I worked out a deal to split it with a friend last year (and then we got a special deal that lowered the price tremendously). I ended up adding 29 students in one study group alone as a result of being able to allow in extra students. The nice thing about this is that I can increase my income by recruiting more students, without ultimately having to spend more time on the actual class. My time is extremely valuable to me, so anything I can do to maximize my efforts of increasing income without increasing time commitment is very welcome. It takes no more time/effort for me to run a class with 50 students than it does with 10 students.

Since I have taught these groups more than once, the bulk of the time was invested the first time creating the materials and I don't have to recreate them every time. In addition, in the future, if I decide to no longer teach these classes live, I can potentially sell the recordings for additional ongoing revenue.

I love that I can come home after work, have time to make/eat dinner with hubby (though I utilize OAMC, quick meals, and the crockpot a lot) and then I don't have to leave the house to go make money. I also love that I didn't have to invest very much money AT ALL to get started. Plus I get to bed at a reasonable hour.

The drawback last year was that the money was somewhat feast or famine - some months no income (usually because I didn't offer anything or I was actually running the groups that people had paid for in advance) and other months several thousand dollars. This year I am focusing on becoming more consistent in my efforts and actively looking for ways to even out the income across the months. I am on track to increase my income more than 25% with my efforts this year and potentially even more in the future.

One of the areas I am currently researching and expect to build this year is affiliate sales and other forms of passive income (such as publishing kindle booklets or offering my recordings for sale - where I do something once but it keeps making money for me over time). My husband is coming on board for this and will hopefully work on some of these things while I am teaching my classes. It will be a learning curve for both of us.

2015 is on track to become one of my side business' best years ever!

The advice I would give to you is to just DO SOMETHING.

Vision without action is a daydream.
    Action without vision is a nightmare.
    2020 Pay Off Debt Challenge: $25,675.45/$25,676.45 (Goal COMPLETED: Pay Off By 12/30/2020)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345