Ebay - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ebay

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Ebay...

I sold on Ebay for approximately 3 years and the only people really making money on Ebay are the owners of Ebay. I enjoyed selling, but it just wasn't cost effective for me. When I considered the amount of time I had to invest for the little bit of money, it just wasn't worth it.
    "Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans." John Lennon
    "Infinite goodness has wide arms." Dante

Change & Penny Challenges:
    Penny :
    Change :

2020 Coupon Savings and Perks Challenge:
    $172.82

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't see what all the fuss is about. Lowering the listing fees and raising the final fees benefits people who have a lot of items that don't sell. The net difference is roughly a 3% increase on sold items, and while I'd rather not pay more, I can't see ditching the largest volume online market over such a small amount.

The new ratings system sounds like a big bother, but it doesn't really affect me -- I never had to give negative feedback anyway.

Just so you know where I'm coming from: I've been as "scvstamp" on eBay since 1998, rating 3400+ PowerSeller. I sell mostly stamps, but also some science books, vintage magazines & misc. I shipped 2,200 items to over 80 countries in 2007. With the dollar down, more items are going overseas, but the volume is still there, especially with China coming online. I'm not bragging -- hopefully you will find it encouraging.

eBay is a great market for specialty items and collectibles. I don't recommend it for common things or garage sale junk. Or for heavy items or electronics. And thanks to Amazon, the value of books has tanked out on all markets. Before selling something, you should always do searches (Completed Listings only) and see what that item has been selling for. If the same item got no bids the last few times it was listed, there's no point listing yours.

Overall, if the cost of doing business is 15% fees to the companies that make it possible, it's hard to see how that's not worth it. There's a lot to learn, but don't let random gripes get you down.

Anyway, "the only people making money on eBay are the owners" is a cheap shot. But that poster was correct in saying that you have to keep track of the time and expenses, and assess whether it's worth it to you.

Just my 3 cents. (That's 2 cents adjusted for inflation.)

= scott

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My sister and I run a small ebay business selling glass beads.

We import them and then onsell in smaller quantities. It involves a lot of washing and sorting, but we can purchase our beads from home so no costs in petrol and running around.

We make a modest amount of money out of our bits and pieces, some weeks we rake it in and some weeks we break even - the best thing about it for us is that if we get busy in real life then we just don't list anything.

luckily for us our beads seem to double their money. We have a large base of return clients and are now looking at opening a market stall as well as our own website.

We don't make a fortune - generally for every $1200 we spend importing beads we make about $2,600 back, this may take 3-6 months to sell them all depending on how eager we are.

We are in Australia so as yet these changes have not been put into effect here, but I don't know how much it will affect us. At the end of the day we love the beads and have a great time sorting them and taking photo's and it keeps us occupied. I find it fun and exhilerating. and we make a bit of blow money out of it as well.

Although I laugh sometimes because we are like the drug dealer that samples his own wares. Sometimes I love the beads too much to sell them, even though I couldn't possibly find enough time to bead using all the beads I already had. It would take years.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm going to list a few things this week. I'm broke for the next 2 weeks and maybe I can earn a little spending money.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just listed some things for the first time last week and I didn't do my research. I got my shipping charges all wrong and I listed something that was already listed and not selling. I think there is a learning curve but I will keep trying. I am guessing that with the way the economy is it's going to be hard right now to sell. Good luck.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mmy2grls View Post
    I just registered for ebay. I'm planning on having a yardsale when the weather warms up but thought I would try to list some things on ebay to see if I could bring extra money in.

I was going to list an auction for a lot of toddler shoes and ship in a flate rate 8.95 usps box and buy my label online so there will be a tracking number.

Is there anything I should do to make sure i'm protected?
    I was just wondering what size shoes these are? Girl or boy? Do you still have them? I may be interested, depending on how much you want for them?

Did you ever consider putting them on the marketplace here?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Actually forgot to mention earlier,

We are moving in the next couple of weeks from one rental to another, while I was in the process of packing I came across a heap of things that I have never used - still new in box (mostly presents and remenants of my former non frugal ways)

I listed them on ebay and made enough to cover our fist two weeks rent on the new place - so that is $600 I don't have to find later and also less things for me to pack.

I am going to find more things that I don't feel like packing and see how I go... the bond is $1200 and if I could pay for that it would be fantastic.

some of my things only sell for 5-10 dollars but it all adds up very quickly.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Before me moved a few years ago, I sold a tons of stuff on Ebay and Craigslist. Saved me from having to take it all with me! lol

I have been selling on and off on Ebay for 8 years now and have always been pleased. The newest final value fee hike is a bummer, though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Craigslist works like a charm!

Just as you would do for Ebay, take lots of pictures and write a good description. Maybe half of the responders will not follow through - but if people are responding, don't let them lowball you. It will sell.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I put some textboks up on ebay. There are watchers but no bids yet. I'm really hoping to get some gas money for next week. They end tomorrow so i'll see how i've done then.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I heart Kijiji!! I don't know if you have it in the US, but it's GREAT around here!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Woohoo I see there is a bid one of the books.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yay I made almost $50

I'm putting the rest of my textbooks up that i'm not keeping. So nice making money from something that has been sitting in my closet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by champagnium View Post
    I heart Kijiji!! I don't know if you have it in the US, but it's GREAT around here!!
    Just found out about Kijiji.
    They are owned by ebay also.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Make sure you describe everything thoroughly. Describe every scatch, every flaw, every bit of wear of the shoes. Take good pictures. Show the items from every angle.

Make sure you get delivery confirmation. Only take paypal from confirmed addresses. Make sure your paypal is set to accept confirmed only. If you don't want to accept international orders make sure that you have that marked on ebay.

Don't leave feedback until they leave it for you.

Pack your stuff well. Wet proof it by wrapping in a plastic bag before putting in the box. If you sell breakable items make sure they are cushioned well. For breakable items you may wan to add in insurance.

Make sure you charge enough for shipping. You can print your labels online at paypal. Saves a trip to the post office.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast