need to bounce a problem around. brainstorm
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default need to bounce a problem around. brainstorm

I have another new to us tax night mare. Earlier this year we got a nasty gram from the IRS saying we didn't do 05 and 06 right. They'd kept 07 and we though that twas because we screwed up. we went about our business and thought nothing of it --yes i know, we should have persued that then. This year we got the nasty gram, called them, they walked us through how to fix it. we fixed it and they sent us our 05 and 06 taxes. 07 and 08 were still out there somewhere. so i called and they said if we don't see it by the end of this month call them back. that ws in may. so yesterdya i call them and they said that i won't be getting them back because we never filed in 01!! WTF?? I have copies here of what we filed in 01. we were even due and recall receiving a return that year. we can't get a ban k statement that far back, we called to ask. and we have nothing here in the house except the IRS stuff that far back.

They said it's too late for us to fix the problem. But it's not too late for them to hold our 07 and 08 and stimulus money....grrrr

suggestions?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

First of all, document all correspondence in writing (email count)
    Secondly, they have an appeals process

third, I really think Clark Howard (radio finance guy) might be of help. He has a website, and offers FREE phone help certain hours of the day. Go to www.clarkhoward.com and see what you can find.

Good luck!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Keep on top of this. Take notes and keep track of phone #'s you call and names of people you talk to. The guy who does our taxes put a # on the wrong line and the original person I talked to kept telling me that we owed taxes when we did not. I argued with her and got no where. I don't remember how we started talking to another person, but that one actually listened to me. She realized that I knew what I was talking about, but we needed to fix their paperwork on their end because of our income tax guy. They wanted me to send a letter stating that we owed; I did but also put in the letter that I needed to do this to clear up their paperwork not that I actually agreed that I owed them money. I wanted to cover my tracks (so to speak). I didn't want it coming up and biting me on the butt years later.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There is alot of good information here, you may be able to find something to help with your situation. I have no connection to the website, I just found it one day while surfing when going through a tax issue.

http://www.taxattorneydaily.com/topics/

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think I would try to get an appt with an IRS auditor in your area, and take your returns with you. Sit down with him/her and find out exactly what needs to be done. There is obviously an answer, and you can get it free from the IRS (who has access to their records), vs. paying someone or asking an advice-line and getting an opinion based on half the information available.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good info posted. You should get some sort of help from most of it.

Let us know how it turns out and good luck.

Think, after some research on your own, the IRS auditor might be the way I would go, if possible.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You've already got many good answers but I agree to stay on top of this. Let us know how things turn out.

Registered User Laurie in Bradenton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Like Madhen says go in and speak to someone. Make that person the only one you deal with. We have had lots of problems over the last 20 years and the fact that we now deal with just one person at a local office has helped alot. Granted the office is 30 miles away from home its been worth it. She knows my problems and I don't have to retell the tale with each phone call.

Laurie in Bradenton