Victim of Theft
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Victim of Theft

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Unhappy Victim of Theft

I'm trying to get some ideas of how I deal with this. I am now afraid to carry my purse or go anywhere with my wallet.

On Friday, I went to the bank to get out some American money to go on a shopping trip on Saturday. I put it in my purse but not my wallet. I went to the back of a shop to look at some magazines when something made a popping noise and I ended up with some type of stuff all over the back of my coat. Three people were "helping" me to get the stuff off. I took off my coat and put my purse on the ground. Then they left. I then checked my purse to see that my American money had been stolen. I was so ashamed for falling for such a thing, I slunk out of the store without telling anybody or calling the police. I haven't told anyone about this. I am trying to think of ways to go about my life without my purse or my wallet so as not to be a victim again but I have stuff in my purse that I need to carry such as Ibuprofen. Thanks for listening.
    Last edited by Twinkle; 03-22-2010 at 10:16 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry this happened to you and you should tell someone about it because that business can be on alert for other such scams. I don't like carrying a purse because it's bulky and awkward, when I do it's a small one that I often wear over my head & across my chest and it's in front of my body so it doesn't slide off my arm, get in my way or is easy for someone to reach into or grab.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hate this happened to you and can only imagine what it is like.

If it happeend to me, I may react the same way you did.

First are you SURE, you put it in your purse and not somewhere in your wallet? Maybe you did it without thinking? Is it possible that it fell out of your purse?

Next you have a choice. I would contact the store and let them know although they may have been in on it. Second I would call the police and file a report if they will let you. I don't think you will get your money back, but maybe you can keep someone else from getting ripped off.

And finally, I often tell people they have a choice in life to be happy or not. If it was me I would choose to believe that it went to someone who needed it soo badly that they took it. Maybe there was medication they couldn't afford, or they needed to feed their children and you were their only hope.

I wish you luck in dealing with this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry this happened to you. I'd report it to the police and then file a complaint with the store. Perhaps they have cameras? I'd expect you won't get your money back but as Joseph said, you can prevent it from happening to someone else. Pay it forward type deal.

I know you've worked hard for your money but its just that. Money. You're still alive and unharmed. I'd be counting my blessings.

Did you recognize anyone who was surrounding you when the ink incident happened - do you recall seeing them at the bank/ATM? You could've been their target from the start. Always try to be aware of who's around you and whats going on.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't be embarassed -- I would be pi$$Ed off!

If you want to get something else though, get yourself a skinny mens-style wallet and carry it in your pocket. Then just downsize everything else. Get a pill case for your meds and carry it in your pocket. Smaller tampons, a pen, downsize your phone, etc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by LadyNada View Post
    I wouldn't be embarassed -- I would be pi$$Ed off!

If you want to get something else though, get yourself a skinny mens-style wallet and carry it in your pocket. Then just downsize everything else. Get a pill case for your meds and carry it in your pocket. Smaller tampons, a pen, downsize your phone, etc.
    Thats actually a great idea! But I'd modify it b/c the things I need to carry with me warrant a bag of some sort. Carry your wallet in your pocket and the rest of your 'stuff' in your purse.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I like the idea of the men's wallet but what happens when I don't have any pockets such as when I wear dresses? I wonder if I should get myself a small purse (as someone had suggested or done themselves) and put it over my arms and across my chest?

I did put my money beside my wallet in my purse. I too am wondering if I was targeted inside the bank. It was quite busy and I was just interested in getting in and out of there as I had waited for awhile.

I was glad I was not hurt - it is only money but I work hard for it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Can keep larger amounts in brassiere, sew small pouch in waistband of dress, sleeve of dress, or stick in your shoe and keep smaller amounts in the purse. Some coats that don't have pockets you can sew a small pocket inside. Its a travel tip. Then step into restroom to retrieve larger amount when you will need it.

Very sorry this happened to you, what a setup. Grrr.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

More than likely yes you were targeted. It was busy, the lookout could blend in. Plus there was a bunch of people hovering around you distracting you. They were working together. All the more reason to file a police report. These people are plauging your community, a discription could help, plus this "spill" is the MO.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sorry to hear that I am always paranoid about my bag too. But I carry a huge one..lol.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was going to suggest your Bra. I remember my Auntie who is, um, rather gifted in that department. She would keep a good amount of money in them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a tiny purse because I had three little kids and didn't have the extra attention to give to my purse to keep it from being stolen. It really is just a wallet. It is like 3 inches by 4 inches. It fits in my pocket. I don't wear anything that doesn't have pockets so that isn't a problem for me.

I only carry the essentials in it: credit cards, insurance cards, a coupon maybe, cash, store cards, etc. I have a bag that goes in the trunk that has my ibuprofen, a book, lotion, tape measure, bandaids/neosporin, etc. I have the things I need available to me but I don't have to carry them with me constantly.

The bra is a really good idea. I have one friend who is very well endowed who uses hers as basically a purse. Her keys go in there, her cell phone, cash, cards - everything.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry to hear this happend to you.

This is quite a commmon scam in Europe, sadly it sounds like it has crossed the pond huh?

I wear a money belt under my clothes, I would rather look a bit tubby around the middle than have some ratbag nick my money

I too go to the loo and remove any sort of cash other than the token amount that would be in my handbag.

If anyone else has someone jossle them in a crowd ( outdoors) or you are told " a bird has messed on you, let me help you clean it off" Keep tight hold of your money this is ANOTHER scam!

Another scam is someone who ( supposedly) doesn't speak English, will "distract you" by asking you a silly question whilst a couple of other people are nearby and will either gently jostle you or adeptly pick your pocket, whilst the "distractor" will be asking silly pointless questions, whilst the "mark" is robbed.

My father got robbed like this in a market he is a pensioner and it really upset him.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I really doubt that it will happen to you again because from now on you will be keeping such a close eye on your purse no will get a chance to steal from it.My daughter thinks I'm paraniod because I keep a close watch on mine in stores and I always lock my car doors even if there's nothing in it to steal.I have a stick shift,I mean what's to stop some smart alec kids from taking it out of gear and the brake off so it will roll into another car.

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default How about this?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0070921x00003j

This is the bag I carry when I go to the mall, the city or anywhere that pickpocketing is a real possibility. It is designed to sit right in front of your body comfortably. Lots of pockets for all your things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast