Hubby & I Got Hit
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Hubby & I Got Hit

Hubby and I were hit on his 2009 Harley Fat Boy last Friday around lunch time (Good Friday). We are REALLY lucky that we aren't dead! Some stupid 21 year old girl stopped at a stop sign and for some unknown reason took off and hit us.

We had just turned onto the street and travelled one block when the accident happened. So we weren't going very fast. Hubby counter steered and braked so that our left side impacted her right front. Hubby was thrown onto the hood of her car and rolled off IN FRONT of her car. Luckily by that time she had stopped. I landed on the hood of her car near the windshield.

The whole front end of the Harley will have to be replaced and we will have to see if the frame is bent. We are waiting for her insurance adjustor to look at it. It is at the Harley dealership.

We went to the ER Saturday morning and followed up with our doctor on Monday. We have to go back again this next week. Xrays were taken at both places. We have no broken bones, but we have contusions, bumps, bruises, and ache all over. We have to wait for all of that to heal. It is still possible we have some soft tissue damage. I am quite concerned about my right hip.

The ER took our medical insurance so we had to pay $200 out of pocket. We have been told that the doctor and any other testing will have to be paid out of pocket. We are out a total of $500+ already.

The stupid air head girl that hit us said she didn't see us! We drove our route and her route and videotaped it. She had a clear unobstructed view to her right. It is possible she was texting!

The constable didn't write her a ticket but stated in the accident report that she was in the wrong. He said it wasn't like she ran the stop sign; she just didn't see us! I can assure you he didn't write her a ticket because she was a pretty, blonde, 21 year old girl.

Upon Googling her name, I found that she hit a bicyclist in June 2008 and put him in the hospital! A friend's daughter knows her from high school and said she is a stupid, stuck up, spoiled little rich girl and that daddy has been bailing her out all of her life.

Due to a recent visit from Murphy and this accident we are now truly tapped out! I am so thankful for my abundant stockpile. It is pretty extensive. I told hubby (jokingly) we don't have to worry about using the bathroom (TP), we can drink lots of coffee, and eat homemade bread with peanut butter on it thanks to the stockpile.

She was SO calm after the accident. She was only worried about her car. She called her boyfriend to come to the accident. Now I know it is because she has been through this before!

Her daddy had her call us after the accident and offer to pay out of pocket also. We ignored the call and started a claim with her insurance after talking to our. Now I know why!

I am praying hard that everything will work out and we will make it through financially SOME HOW! IF it turns out I have more injuries, we will be consulting an attorney.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Oh that's awful! I hope you both heal quickly and the financial stuff is sorted out without having to sue. Glad to hear that you both are basically alright though!!~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Since it was her fault, shouldn't her insurance pay for EVERYTHING? I mean even your Hospital bills and all?

You may want to call your insurance agent and get some advice. The hospital and Dr. office may be able to bill them directly.

Good luck and what a horrible weekend for you!

Locally, we had a similiar accident with a harley and a car. Unfortunatley, the driver of the Harley was no where near as lucky as you.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User daughter of pearl's Avatar
    I live in an eastern suburb of Toronto in Canada, near Lake Ontario and lots of park land.
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh, Mary, that's terrible! Thank God you and DH weren't more seriously hurt!

Maybe going through the insurance and having to pay a consequence will be wake up call for her.

Sending good vibes your way!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thay was always my worst nightmare when we had a motorcycle. You are so lucky that you were not hurt worse. Her insurance will probably settle with you and you will be paid back everything that you have paid out, plus some pain and suffering. That is unless you live in a no fault state... and that's a whole other story!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

how terrible...... so glad you weren't hurt more than you were (keep us updated on that hip!)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hugs, and I hope she has to pay everything. That is my worst fear when we are on our bike.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

How terrible. Thank goodness you weren't hurt more than you were.

I need to show Dave this post...he doesn't understand why I worry when he takes out his motorcycle.

Anyway, I hope it all works out for you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm so sorry this happened! I hope you don't suffer pain now or in the future from this. Don't be too quick to settle, health problems like back pain can sneak up on you weeks or even months from now. Be good to yourselves and take good care.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yikes!! You are both really lucky Someone was watching out for you.

I agree, shouldn't her insurance cover all your medical expenses?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Am so sorry to hear this happened to you. first hing is to take care of your health - your injuries may not 'seem' serious, but I still bet that you are in a lot of pain. Prayers to help you heal quickly and completely!!

Please keep us informed as to what is going on with your health and the case itself!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Big hugs to you and your hubby!! How scary that mustve been for yall!! I hope that your hip will be ok!! Praying that you and your dh will heal quickly and painlessly.

Murphy sucks!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Darlene View Post
    I'm so sorry this happened! I hope you don't suffer pain now or in the future from this. Don't be too quick to settle, health problems like back pain can sneak up on you weeks or even months from now. Be good to yourselves and take good care.
    This is very true! I've had an accident that the 'kinks' medically didn't come forth for months and then it was a nightmare and all on my costs.

Glad you're both alive to talk / type about it! Good friend of SO was nailed by a woman running a red light. He was on his motorcycle. He didn't live to see the ambulance arrive. She was feeding her baby. In the van! No one in her van was hurt but SO lost a friend from childhood.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sooooooo happy to hear you didn't have more serious injuries. I also agree if the accident was her fault, her insurance company should be paying all of your hospital bills. I'd also check with your insurance company, that is what you pay them for.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

First I'm glad both are ok. Second I don't understand why your insurance didn't pay and then go after hers. That's the way I read and understand Nationwide car insurance does. That's what the medical part is for. The if the other driver is at fault they will go after either her insurance or her.

Double check your policy and see exactly what it says. Also get her insurance information and call THEM. They should be picking up the financials after they receive a copy of the report.

Start looking for an attorney. If you damaged the hip it's likely to be long term.

Hugs to both of you and don't do anything to make the hip worse. There's days I can barely walk. You sure don't need that.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4