Anyone want to participate in a book round robin?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Anyone want to participate in a book round robin?

I have some books that I can't seem to get rid of anywhere, and I'll admit, some of them are rather old or even not so popular (maybe?) but still have lots of life in them. They range from small children books all the way to adult/teen books, some even craft books. I'm not sure how many books total I have, but I think this would be a good way to get rid of some books we don't want and find new ones to read at the same time I usually swap on paperbackswap.com, but some just don't get requested

For anyone who doesn't know what a round robin is, it's pretty much a swap where it'll go to a list of people in order and what ever the amount of books you take from the box is the number you put back in. So it'll always have the same number of books in it when it goes from person to person. So if I started with 10 books, when it comes back to me, I'll still have 10, they'll just be different.

Let me know what you guys think Maybe not the most frugal thing to do, but it would be sent media mail so it wouldn't be too heavy on our wallets. And, just thinking, it could even go around more than once if you'd like.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'd be interested. I love to read and this sounds really fun.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sounds interesting - I'm still a maybe, but I do like odd books

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

From a frugal perspective .... do we have any idea about what 10 books media weight would fall into price wise??? If this was a work or local thing I'd say yes a lot quicker. If it's not too much I'm in, but I need a little more info first.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you do this, you might have more than one round robin.
    For example if only using fiction paperbacks, I just weighed 10 paperbacks by J D ROBB ( which are thicker books than say Harlequin romance ) which is just over 4 pounds and would ship for the 5 pound rate in box for $ 3.94.

You could do a round robin for recipe books, maybe the smaller ones you would buy in the grocery store. That might be a fun one

Or maybe a few people would like a smaller round robin of mystery or suspense /thriller books.

Maybe children chapter books ?

Hardcover books would add up the postage real fast. And the post office sure likes getting their postal increases.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by ladytoysdream View Post
    If you do this, you might have more than one round robin.
    For example if only using fiction paperbacks, I just weighed 10 paperbacks by J D ROBB ( which are thicker books than say Harlequin romance ) which is just over 4 pounds and would ship for the 5 pound rate in box for $ 3.94.

You could do a round robin for recipe books, maybe the smaller ones you would buy in the grocery store. That might be a fun one

Or maybe a few people would like a smaller round robin of mystery or suspense /thriller books.

Maybe children chapter books ?

Hardcover books would add up the postage real fast. And the post office sure likes getting their postal increases.
    That actually sounds a bit better I only have two very thin, small children books and don't have kids of my own yet, so I can keep those and keep those out of the swap altogether. I might have enough of craft like books that I could do a round robin with, but I only got 3 mystery books (reading one, will read the other one soon). I could start a craft one (they aren't those super thick ones) with 5 in it, but otherwise I wouldn't have enough to start any other themed swap (that's why I didn't suggest it). Shipping could be slightly different for everyone-It'll depend on the thickness of the books. I don't plan on getting rid of alot of heavy thick books at all.

I actually was thinking, and I could do a yarn round robin too if anyone is interested A small one with like 5-8 small balls of yarn.
    Last edited by Lynette.; 08-25-2010 at 04:18 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Interesting idea Lynette. I'm addicted to mysteries, but sometimes it's even more fun to read something totally different. I'm in.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mauimagic View Post
    Interesting idea Lynette. I'm addicted to mysteries, but sometimes it's even more fun to read something totally different. I'm in.
    I always love to swap things-mostly one on one. But it's always fun to do something different for a change I'll gather all of my books and I think that this time we could do a mixture of different genres, and then if you guys like, we can do it a second time as a specifc theme. I think we should do a swap of perhaps 5 books, 10 is too much.

So whoever that deffinately wants to participate, let me know by sending me a message and I'll organize it from there and probably start a new thread with the progress status. We should send with delivery confirmation though to make sure it gets to it's destinations, and to cut down on cost we can use the same box multiple times, just cover the previous addresses up good. I don't know how we're going to do the whole address swapping thing though. I could make the list of who would send to who and you guys could ask whoever you're sending to for their address but I don't know. Let me know your input on that

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Are we going to mix hard cover and paper back books?

What I've done in the past is make a list of participants and their snail mail addresses and email it to them on their personal emails - which they PM to you. It's worked well in the past.

Looking forward to this - mahalo Lynette!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This sounds like fun. Count me in I sent you a PM, Lynette.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mauimagic View Post
    Are we going to mix hard cover and paper back books?

What I've done in the past is make a list of participants and their snail mail addresses and email it to them on their personal emails - which they PM to you. It's worked well in the past.

Looking forward to this - mahalo Lynette!!
    Email them just the info for who they're sending the stuff to or the same list of every participant and their info to everyone? I would say yes to mix hard and soft, just as long as the hard covered books aren't too big and bulky.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I always mailed a full list to everyone - but then what I did wasn't round robin. I would still suggest 'full disclosure' so we would all know who's involved.

Although it doesn't matter to me, perhaps you could wind the books it a semblance of directionality to keep down shipping?

So when are we going to start?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

^^ Alright, I think I'll just send a copy to everyone then. That sounds better so everyone is on the same page. I'm not sure when-I'd like to have a couple more participants before we start I'll give it the weekend and if nobody else is interested then I guess we'll start.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Please add me to the swap list. I will PM you my info.

Just to clarify - 5 books (paperback or hardcover), correct?

Debbie

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sounds like a solid plan!! Mahalo for doing this Lynette!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast