Ready yet, or making big plans?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Smile Ready yet, or making big plans?

I've been informed my younger sister and hubby are going to mother's in TX for the holiday. DFIL passed in July, I'm not sure whether MIL wants to be here, without him, for the holiday. (So that's three less than what I'm used to.)
    I think instead of just family, I'll invite a couple, or at least a few other folks who may not have a place to go otherwise.
    I've looked at my 'lists' of what worked, what didn't, what I need to cut from the food line-up, etc from last year. I can't believe we had a 22 pound turkey last year!
    Anyone else thinking of gobble-gobble day?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have to work in the ER that night. Being a nurse on holidays are tough. I hope someone brings me dinner.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ooooh, I LOVE the holidays and planning ahead. We're usually pretty small (just me and my mom) but it hasn't always been this way (Thanksgiving/Christmasses past of 20+ people, traveling, truckloads of food, fights, falling asleep on the couch, and people not speaking to each other) and (presumably) it won't always be this way in the future. We're trying to enjoy the freedom of being able to do exactly what we want and ONLY what we want.

I haven't been on the boards that much, but the holidays and wanting to get things in order have made me come back...

Can't wait to hear what other people are doing!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love Thanksgiving. We pull out special foods and gather around a decorated table.

Will shop closer to the day

Will need a turkey breast ( keeping my eye out for sales)
    stuff for homemade cranberry sauce
    a jar or two of gravy
    a pumpkin pie
    whipping cream
    stuff for the green bean casserole ( including sharp white cheddar and fresh mushrooms)
    Rolls

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

No plans at the moment, and nobody has invited us to their home so it will probably be a quiet traditional meal for the two of us.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by NicJean View Post
    I think instead of just family, I'll invite a couple, or at least a few other folks who may not have a place to go otherwise.
    And the folks that have no place to go will love it. I have been there and it sucks when you don't have family in town.......or friends leave to go somewhere else.......BTDT!!

I usually try to mooch dinner!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The bf and I will be spending our first holiday together - last year we were only dating two months, so we each did our own thing with our families. This year, I'm going to his family's house and will probably bring a dessert (apple strudel) and a side dish (roasted beets with toasted walnuts and blue cheese).

This sounds bad but they have every holiday at their grandma's house - she's 90, can't get around easily and is very sweet - but her house is so depressing and yucky. She never opens the shades, it smells like old lady smell, it's just so yucky to be there. My bf's mom cooks at the grandma's house and then my bf and his bro usually bring a side dish or dessert. They also go there for Xmas eve - yuck!

I have a big beautiful house and am very "Martha" - I like to make things beautiful and special. I love holidays at my place... Well, I'm thinking maybe I can bring her two small scented pumpkin spice candles,some flowers and a small pumpkin to at least make the place look somewhat festive.

Of course I'm thinking of the long term - bf and I are talking marriage - and of spending every holiday at this place - ugh. Well, who knows how long she'll live there or if she'll go to a nursing home. Maybe if we get married we can suggest a holiday at my place and we can his mom pick her up and drive her up here.

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We'll go to my in-laws in the early afternoon. Later we'll have a supper here that I fix for my family and my Mother. At least that's the way I think it will go.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I will figure out something special for myself. Will be making turkey legs, stuffing, roasted veggies, gravy, and baked apples when company comes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I love the holidays. I have everything bought already except the turkey....watching for sales. Now just to get the decorations done.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Not really sure this year.

For the past 5+ years I've fixed dinner for my parents and dh's grandma. Grandma is now in assisted living and nearer to her one daughter. I started doing the dinner when we realized dh's mom wasn't even inviting her own mother to the Thanksgiving Day family dinner.

My mom has told me that we could go to dh's parents, but I can do without the drama. Factor in the fact that I've developed food allergies and I know there would not be much I could eat there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

For the first time in 17yrs I won't have to worry about working Thanksgiving..the day before or Black Friday...YAY...I will be hosting..I won't be blessed with having my Dad or Stepmom for the first time in 4yrs for the holidays due to them leaving for Florida November 1st to April...I'm very sad because they are the only family on my side to share the holiday's with me...The will post the menu when I know what what everyone else is bringing..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i want some good stuffing. I hope to have that for dinner while in the ER working. Hint....hint.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie-cat View Post
    I love the holidays. I have everything bought already except the turkey....watching for sales. Now just to get the decorations done.
    What are you cooking?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Not sure what I'm doing yet. DH has to work and will eat there. I'm sure I'll cook a turkey because I love to freeze all that meat for future meals and I enjoy making turkey soup.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast