need help with a menu
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default need help with a menu

I believe this year is the 1st time that I am planning on having something cooked for Thanksgiving. I always went to my Aunt's house and never worried about it. She has passed away. I also have to work Thanksgiving so haven't thought much about it. BUT.......I my family and new husband are wanting a Thanksgiving dinner.
    Any suggestions on what to cook??

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I also have to work Thanksgiving, and to help make dinner. Here is some of what we are having for dinner.

turkey (deep-fried)
    mashed potatoes and gravy
    pumpkin pie
    apple pie
    cherry pie
    macaroni salad
    veggies
    homemade stuffing
    salad

not sure what else yet. We have to get the turkeys yet, at Riesbecks they told us they will be on sale starting next week, but to wait until the week after that because they will be cheapest then.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your Aunt, the holidays really make us think of family and days gone by.
    You are working so what's the new hubby planning on cooking? Don't hesitate to start some new traditions and ask others to bring things too.
    You can make the side dishes & dessert up ahead of time & put loved ones in charge of the bird.
    Mashed potatoes, dressing, rolls, veggie casseroles can all be made ahead & just reheat.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Don't forget the cranberry sauce!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We'll do :
    turkey
    stuffing
    gravy
    mashed potatoes
    cranberry sauce
    rolls
    succotash
    another vegetable (undecided)
    olives
    fruit salad
    punch
    and a variety of desserts

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am also sorry to hear about your aunt.Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday it is about food and the people you love. lots of sides and desserts can be made the day before and reheated. a butterball can be put in a nesco and cooked on low and pretty much be forgot about.
    Make your family faves and add something new. enjoy and remember all the warmth of your aunts wonderful meals.
    as for mine : turkey, dressing, sweet potatoes, potatoe salad, mashed potatoes, slaw, corn, touboli, cauliflower and cheese, ham steak with raisin sauce, cranberry salad, broccoli bread, pumpkin pies, quiet hour cake will post recipe for it later. whatever daughter makes I am tired from writing it all down. pass the tums lol

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

What do you know how to make? What does the family want?

If there's a dish you know how to make, like, say, mashed potatoes or deviled eggs, then make it. If there's a dish hubby wants from his side of the family then talk to him about it, maybe get the recipe from someone on his side.

Here's a site devoted to holiday menu planning and recipes. http://www.foodnetwork.com/thanksgiv...age/index.html

If you are stuck for time, try something like a boneless turkey breast instead of a whole turkey. It's a lot less work to prep, hubby could even handle it by reading the instructions on the package.

There's no shame in using packaged stuffing mix (in the microwave) or buying a pie from the store or a local restaurant to save yourself time and hassle.

You can also make the holiday special by spreading the cooking around to other meals that day. For example if the family is likely to be together in the morning, make a special breakfast and have a simple dinner later.

I think we'll be having:
    boneless turkey breast
    stuffing
    mashed potatoes w/gravy
    fresh green vegetable
    cranberry fruit salad

I'm considering a sweet potato and rosemary gratin. And I might make bread or rolls.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Since you have to work you should get one of those bags to cook the turkey. It cooks waayyyyy faster and is very moist. Our thanksgiving dinner is really simple. Stuffing is bread, poultry seasoning, celery, and onion. Mixed together, put in turkey; turkey in bag. Cook. Mashed potatoes, carrots, sweet potatoes, salad and pie. The pie takes the most work.

My mil started using those bags and I have never cooked a turkey w/o one since!!!