something different this year?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default something different this year?

Anyone doing something different this year? Not the traditional family sit down with a big turkey? I know it's still 3 weeks off, and I'm trying to plan but just not feeling it this year. I wish we could just go someplace and just skip it.

I usually enjoy planning the menu and exploring new recipes. Right now I just want to throw up thinking about all the cooking.

I could use a "bah humbug" smilie about now.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hear ya! I just don't care for Thanksgiving. And for some reason, I'm really dreading it this year and trying to come up with something different to do! I wouldn't mind spending it alone.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We sometimes go to a buffet for Thanksgiving, but there's only the four of us. One of the hotels in our area always has a really outstanding holiday buffet.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I always make ham.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I don't even feel like making a big turkey dinner. We have a party of eight hunters here this weekend and for the next two weekends. They come on Friday and stay until Sunday night/Monday morning. All I do is cook, cook, cook, wash dishes,wash dishes, wash dishes!!! By the time Thanksgiving rolls around, I know I am going to be too beat to make a big meal....then the Christmas baking starts!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We are headed to Greebo's cousin's home this year, the inlaws are joining us and my Mom were also invited. Since that leaves me with no left overs though... I'll be cooking the turkey on Friday with lots of sides, and my Mom and brother will bring the stuffing.

So nothing too out of the ordinary.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

we are doing football party type food this year...sliders, chili, meatballs, potato skins, dip, chips, chicken wings, etc.

no one in our family really likes turkey and dh and ds usually watch football all day anyway (Thanksgiving is one of 2 days dh gets off a year) so he really just wants to relax and enjoy a day off and spend time with the kids. so I am trying to eliminate 99% of the stress this year. it's not a "typical" Thanksgiving dinner, but then again there is nothing typical about my family

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Since there is only five of us for Thanksgiving we cook a turkey breast instead of a big turkey

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Smile

I think Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday: no gift-disappointment, no to minimal drama (I'm one of four siblings, and two step-sibs, two sibs-in law), it's all about the food, I make sure to use paper plates (holiday themed, so they're pretty), it's all about the food, we play games (usually) after as a group, it's all about the food, and it's all about the food!
    I do cook every day (generally speaking), but not ever a feast, so it's my day to shine, and I enjoy the opportunity.
    I don't 'do' Thanksgiving till Saturday or Sunday, so I make most side dishes from Thursday to Saturday, reserving Turkey for Sunday. I heat up everything else in microwave, slowcooker or on top of stove.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hubby and Dad are talking about making a stew here for thanksgiving

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    Since there is only five of us for Thanksgiving we cook a turkey breast instead of a big turkey
    I always cook a huge turkey if we eat at home, even if it's only the four of us. Leftover turkey is great to have in the freezer, and then I have a nice carcass to make three or four gallons of broth with. I figure it's no more work to make a big turkey instead of a small one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We make our dinner on Saturday. Thursday is football day! Snacks and TV. lol Friday we Black Friday Shop, so we just do take-out or something easy. Saturday we will cook the bird and a couple sides, not the whole feast. We can snack on that meal for the next 2-3 days.

We took the stress out of the holidays a couple years ago. It's been better for our family and we enjoy it now

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Steaming some crab legs and going to boil some shrimp, mini corn on the cob and red potatoes since it will be just the two of us (once dh gets off work).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It will probably be just the hubbs youngest DD with DS possibly dropping in to eat and go home and to bed. Thanksgiving oldest DD and her DH spend with his family, so they will probably be by for leftovers Friday. So since I happen to love turkey, will be making that, then of course all of the veggie sides, with rolls and pies and such. DS will load up on most of those, as he is vegitarian, and holiday weeks he ends up working horrible hours, since he isn't married, nor does he have kids, his job just doesn't feel that he needs family time and can cover shifts for all of those who do have family. Have never liked this line of thought.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a friend her family does not like turkey. So about a couple week before Thanksgiving. They figure out what they want. It has been Lasagna, Mexican, Shrimp, rib eyes 2x baked potatoes . the point is it has be something a little special. With a couple deserts and a good bottle wine. They also pray and tell what they are thankful for. Enjoy your holiday whatever you do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast