Tell me your Thanksgiving horror stories
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Tell me your Thanksgiving horror stories

Strangely enough, it helps me to relax reading about other people's mishaps during the holiday. I think I'm thankful we don't have a lot of drama in our family.

What's the worst you've been through on Thanksgiving?
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

got invited to a friend's house. 6 pm dinner

she didn't know to start cooking a 25 pound turkey 4-5 hours ago. she had the raw turkey in the sink. she didn't know what she was doing and i ended up doing all the work. we ate around midnight.

she was also one of those cooks that can't multitask. took her 40 minutes to chop onions.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

last year believe it or not......Mom was having money problems and I was handing out to her as much as I possibly could. I ended up on a $20 a week grocery budget for me and cat. I was able to do that and some weeks had a little left over. Well BF tells me that we are invited to his BF's for late lunch. He volunteered us to bring a Honey Baked Ham. while he was telling me he informed me that he would pay the whole thing though (implying that I should pay half), well I let my pride get the best of me and I insisted on paying for half of it. I also said I would make some yeast rolls and baked beans from scratch.

Well I ended up with abour $40 in the stuff I brought so there were several weeks of Ramon noodles and heavy couponing.

We get there at around 1pm so I could help in the kitchen (BF volunteered me for some reason).

Guess what? Nothing had been cooked or even started. The turkey was defrosted and they did have the oil and equipment to deep fry it, but nothing else was done.

The BF best friends wife comes into the kitchen and does at least tell me where stuff is. I start cooking and the BF's best friend comes in to help. He asks me what he should cook the ham on and I inform him that it is a Honey Baked ham and should be served cold or at room temperature. Without me knowing it he put it in an oven about 1:30. I continue cooking this and that, friends slowly start showing up and then the turkey gets deep fried. We can't sit down because this friend or that is running late for hours.

About 9pm we sit down at the table to eat. The turkey is carved and then the BF's best friend goes to get the ham. He had put it in the oven at 350 around 130 and left it there until almost 9pm. It was completely dried out and ruined. A $73 ham destroyed.

I got up, got my dishes and told the BF it was time to go, we had stuff to get done. I was beyond pissed and let him know it for weeks.

While I was in the kitchen cooking, he was on the couch, pouting because dinner wasn't ready.

When the BF and I broke up a month or so ago this conversation came back up (by him) and he apologized again for it. I told him that everytime I went by a honey baked ham store, I would think of him and his buddy and how awesome they were.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

ohh that poor ham I would have cooked it also I have left the plastic baggie inside the turkey before. I think that was the worst. But hubby served raw b -beuqed chicken on his birthday the dog got so sick..

Registered User greekislandgirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have one...

In 2003 or 2004, I can't remember, I was living alone in the city where I was in school. My parents lived about 8 hours away. All my friends at school went back to their families so I was totally alone. I didn't have a car then, and it was about a 45 min walk to the supermarket (one way) and it was extremely cold (far north). Usually, I went shopping with a friend who had a car, but she was at her family's. My boyfriend at the time had invited me to Thanksgiving in New York City, which was about 4 hours away, so I wasn't supposed to even be home, but he cancelled for some reason at the last minute. I had been planning to be away for a week, and back then I did not have a stockpile or even a week's worth of groceries on hand.

I literally had NO food in the house and no way to get any. I had one chicken thigh, that's it. I boiled it in a big pot of water, and drank the broth over the course of 5 days. It was the most ridiculous and depressing thing ever. On Thanksgiving I called my parents and pretended to be having a great time but actually I was SO MAD. My boyfriend couldn't understand why I was so upset. (I was also a very healthy eater so ordering take-out was practically against my religion.) I ended up losing a few pounds that week!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have two stories. We would spend every Friday night at my grandparents when I was growing up, every year at the first week or two of November the "highlight" of the weekend was watching all the turkeys cross the road (my grandparents had a turkey farmer a few houses down as a neighbor). I never put 2 and 2 together until one year I watched my aunt help the turkeys cross the road, we had to take a lunch to her later that day and to my horrors was a full fledge turky massacre going on with my aunt helping. I have never liked turkey or most meat products since! By the way I was young at the time!

The second story is when me and my DH were dating, we went and visited everyone on Thanksgiving so not to upset anyone (we still do that to this day). We went to his mom's house, his sisters sat there and I was put to work, I had to help with everything in the kitchen, set the tables, as MIL was in kitchen and everyone else sat around. Oldest SIL felt the need to do nothing since she made the pie. I had to run upstairs to get additional pop for the dinner, while I was upstairs trying to find the pop MIL told me to get and juggle 5 different cases of pop, the dinner rolls ending up burning (it was my fault cause I did not take them out in time meanwhile MIL was in the kitchen), The brusselsprots were overcooked and overbuttered (I never cooked a brusselsprout in my life and did as I was told). Everyone complained that the food was messed up, blame of course on me. Then the one thing I enjoy about Thanksgiving besides dinner rolls, pumpkin pie! My SIL forgot to put sugar in the mix (so gross!), yet I was the one who ruined their dinner.... Of course everyone was exhausted over dinner and napped, I got voted to clean up since I screwed up the dinner rolls and brusselsprots... To this day I cringe when I think of celebrating a holiday with his family, grief is still put on me!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

we had two of the last thanksgivings here before famly decided we were too big for one house and started to rent the KOC hall for dinner .
    what happened those two years my nephew came and and got car sick all over dining room rug which was NEW . i spent a bit too much time cleaning it according to my mil who i told her i wanted to make sure it was all out .

my one sil burnt the turkey and other brought what was a chicken sized turkey if it was a turkey - so we had one decent turley for 40 people dh and l let everyone else serve from buffet style dinner - once it was our turn no turkey left .

we do the pollyanna exchange and every year someone forgets to put their name in or they put it in and their spouse does too, not realizing they did and screws it up - and then someone always calls
    the week before christmas and doesnt remember who they had and doesnt know what to do .

now i collect names and dh follows me as people pick them out and keep a list of who has who - no suprise it it for us anymore but at least when someone cant remember - loses the paper we have an answer .
    one year i tossed out my cheat sheet of names a week after christmas - sure enough one day after trash man comes mil informs me someone didnt get a swap and who was it ??? umm why wait so long !!

best was the time my mil who was already on my nerves told me i "was in the way" as we all stood along diningroom wall - i just glared at her and said - "its my house- i am never in the way" ( plus i wasnt in the way anyway lol )

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was babysitting for this lady up the street. On Thanksgiving the year I was 15, my mom, sister and I were supposed to meet my stepdad (only dad I ever knew) in Massachusetts near my uncle's house for Thanksgiving. My stepdad was a truckdriver. We lived in Vermont which was a 3 hour drive to my uncle's house, but my stepdad was supposed to be doing a delivery that way and was meeting us with the semi. He never showed up. He had been having an affair with the married woman I was babysitting for. We found out about the affair on Thanksgiving. He had taken the slut driving with him over the road and was with her when he was supposed to be meeting us.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In-Laws house for dinner. "We'll eat by 2:00. Bring salad." Ok. There by 1:00 just so we have time to help and visit. Phone call from other married child. "We can't be there by 2:00. We just got home and haven't started making the rolls yet."

Plus turkey is being cooked from frozen (which is possible when done correctly). It takes longer but you have to do it right. So it is supposed to be done by 2 anyway. We check. Nowhere near. How much more time do you think? Another hour and a half. Ok. Well that will let BIL and SIL get the rolls done.

Oh. The main side is scalloped potatoes. Can't do them until the oven is free. Oops. Finally, turkey is "done". Keep looking for the pop out timer thing in the breast. Start cutting at meat. Some cooked. Getting into raw. Oops. Turkey upside down so pop out was blocked anyway. The bag of heart, liver, giblets (plus the gravy pack) all baked with it. So we have an ice pack in the center of the turkey inhibiting the cooking all this time. Finally, microwaved some of the meat to make sure it was completely cooked.

By the time we finally get some food ready, the BIL and SIL are STILL not here. Even though things have been extended about 2-3 hours.

Finally eat about 5:00. BIL and SIL show up JUST before we sit down.

I've had to scrounge food for my three kids and me in the mean time. His family tends to buy food as they need it. In other words, "what's for dinner? Ok, let's go buy that." Just about every day.

BIL and SIL have a happy child because she was at home this whole time. Mine are turning cranky because we've been waiting 5+ hours counting travel time for dinner. They only stay an hour because they have other commitments and have meet them and get their own kid home in time for bed.

This year, we'll be back again. I know they have timing issues, plus with me being pregnant, I MUST eat every three hours or I throw up. So my husband calls and sets things up. Tells them we have to eat on time or we need to know how long of a delay. We won't start up there until it is pretty assured that dinner will be ready shortly after we get there so I can have access to food if I need it. We'll see how it goes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made the mistake of attending a Thanksgiving dinner with a family that was much more casual about household cleanliness. There were dishes in the sink, over every counter and surface, the dishwasher was full, both sinks were full. It looked like they had saved the dishes from every meal for a few days before they even began the Thanksgiving prep.( I had brought sides and desserts)I stood and helped clean on that kitchen for five hours after the noon dinner, and listened to her chatter about how important it was to spend time with family at the holidays and place the cleaning on the back burner.She must have had a great holiday.My own home never looked so good, and I learned the value of Cold Gin time.( " Ya know it's the only thing, that kept me together.")

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think the worst I can come up with is when I was about 19 or 20 & I had to work Thanksgiving ~ going home, I was rear-ended while sitting at the light by the lady behind me. The road was uphill & my feet/ankles/legs were hurting, so I lifted my foot off the brake for just a few seconds to rotate my ankle & put it back on the brake. The lady behind me wasn't paying attention & gunned it & slammed right into me. Did I mention the light was still red? (SIGH) Then when I got home (I lived with my grandparents while I was going to college) & they were upset but just glad I was ok. When I called my bf & told him about it, he actually had the nerve to yell at me like it was my fault. "Yes you stupid idiot, I have control over the stupid people who do not pay attention while driving. Just as I have control over the stupid things that come out of your mouth." I broke up with him just before Christmas when I was 20... 1 of the best decisions I've ever had!!!

Kim

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Smile

The year I "took over" Thanksgiving from a younger sister that has housecleaning "issues" she was in a snit. (Honestly, I WAS thinking of myself: a week of sneezing, runny nose because of being in her house a couple hours). So, as she said over and over, she had things in the freezer already made, I told her to go ahead and bring them. Pies, two pies: one pumpkin, one pecan. (she was in a snit for a month because she made TWO PIES ?!?!?) Lots of drama with my younger sister. . . So Thanksgiving comes, she brings her homemade frozen pies - dinner is great, I might add, with no allergies! Dessert-time comes: pumkin pie is 'off' - something's not quite right. I thankfully, had just taken a sliver, so I muscle it down. Everyone's polite, nobody says anything till next day. She forgot the sugar in the pie, how gross!!
    This year I'm making it all except rolls, and an apple dessert.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't have any horror stories, just a thank you to the rest of you for making me appreciate my family! Happy Thanksgiving!