Started a thanksgiving dinner envelope!
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Started a thanksgiving dinner envelope!

After reading some posts in the Christmas room I decided to start an envelope for Christmas dinner. I just started another one today for Thanksgiving. It never gets ridiculously expensive for me as we usually have a small one at our house but I'm looking forward to just having the cash in the envelope and buying everything. We always like to drink champagne or wine with dinner and that adds up quickly! I'm not a black Friday girl so that's not something I need to prepare for.

Does anyone else have a Thanksgiving dinner money box / envelope?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I don't but I do think it is a great idea!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Brilliant idea - you are the first I know to do this! Love the idea of envelope spending - have fun and let us know how you are doing!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It is a good idea. I've never saved for the holidays but I think this year I'll bump up my emergency fund by $1,500 to cover Thanksgiving and Christmas. I never know how many relatives will be here or when but putting aside some $$ in preparation is a good idea.
    Kim
    The Lord will provide

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So far so good, only have twenty dollars in it but it's something. I have so many envelopes now

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've started envelopes for Christmas before to ensure I am covered for most if not all things: meals out with friends catching up, winter gathering activities to catch up, groceries, baking/packaging supplies, postage for gifts/cards and cards themselves if needed, gift wrap and gas to ensure I can travel about and return home safely. I usually include extra in case I need to stay overnight a hotel 'just in case'.

An envelope to save for the big feasts is brilliant! I recently had a chance to look into the 'Christmas Hampers' offered and though I do cheat and take a helping hand on occasion, I do not like to eat that much processed food. Everything in those 'hampers' is processed and well, I could acquire them for much less by watching sales and stocking up as needed beforehand. Plus the cost of 'fresh' stuff usually isn't factored into those things.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have never done the meal envelope, but I do have a box set aside for the special meals. I have a list of items I need and as I see them on sale, I grab them and toss them in the box. The other benefit of the box is, the nibblers know if it's in there, it's off limits.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

cant imagine needing one. I just start adding things a few weeks ahead as the specilas hit but we just have a small gathering and dont cook anything fancy either.

I did put the money for the 6mo. car ins due in May already and am now working on the tax/h.ins. load
    Mostly I am trying to hyper pay the CC bill left from kids trying college out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalwarrior2 View Post
    cant imagine needing one. I just start adding things a few weeks ahead as the specilas hit but we just have a small gathering and dont cook anything fancy either.

I did put the money for the 6mo. car ins due in May already and am now working on the tax/h.ins. load
    Mostly I am trying to hyper pay the CC bill left from kids trying college out.
    I get that . I don't think we need one either but I love my champagne and cocktails and I like to buy a local fresh bird which is a little more. It will be nice for that not to come out of our weekly grocery budget nearer the time. I'll probably use it for some table decorations too. I'm at $64 so far so just putting little bits in it's going great so far!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_V View Post
    I have never done the meal envelope, but I do have a box set aside for the special meals. I have a list of items I need and as I see them on sale, I grab them and toss them in the box. The other benefit of the box is, the nibblers know if it's in there, it's off limits.
    That's a good idea too, my mother does that with Christmas.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't have a specific envelope/budget category, but I pick up items on sale as they come around. We get a free turkey from hubby's work, so that's a blessing. Bought cranberries @ .69 a bag this week with sale/coupon and grabbed stuffing at Aldi for .89 a box, and olives for 1.29. It may only be mid-October but I'm still dreaming of Turkey Day, which is my absolute favorite. Not sure if it will just be us or perhaps an extra family member or two this year but I'm still thinking ahead to the menu. I tend to do appetizers/finger foods around 11 or noon followed by the big meal at 3 or 4, so there's kind of two phases to consider.