Are you planning for Thanksgiving yet?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Are you planning for Thanksgiving yet?

It's almost that time again. Do you have a menu plan yet? Are you going traditional or trying something new?
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I got 2 reasonably priced turkey breast for us. No DD and No DS so small. Dmom will go to Dbros. It will be canberry,a noodle salad,boxed stuffing and pie. I have all of it. May get some pumpkin pre made pies if they go low and whip creme again?? Been a roller coaster of a year but so far we have things we are thankful for.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I will be cooking for one this year and I'm determined not to load up the house with all the traditional Thanksgiving trimmings that I remember from years gone by!

I'm thinking about a stuffed chicken breast, cranberries, Brussels sprouts or mashed turnip, cabbage salad, pickles and olives, pumpkin custard and whipped cream.

Once the turkey wars start I may not be able to resist buying a whole turkey, we'll see!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I host Thanksgiving for my family every other year and this year is my turn to host. I always make a giant turkey (20# or more) and a ham plus mashed potatoes (and a constant pot of coffee brewing). Everyone else brings something to contribute. As soon as the meal is over, i put the bones in a stock pot to make a quick batch of stock. I ask everyone to bring large containers to bring home leftovers and soup broth to put their own soup together at home. They usually don't leave until late so there's plenty of time for visiting while the broth simmers.

my guys are not big on leftovers and i'm vegetarian so i don't want a bunch of meat hanging around after. There's usually about 25 people (sometimes more) so the food is equally distributed!
    Last edited by quiltingmommy; 10-14-2016 at 09:32 AM. Reason: adding one more sentence

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'll be cooking again this year which is fine with me. We always do the traditional turkey, dressing (not stuffing), cranberry sauce, apple-pecan salad, green beans, turnip greens, rolls, pumpkin pie....

Haven't made my To Buy list yet but I'll do that around Nov. 1.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
    I will be cooking for one this year and I'm determined not to load up the house with all the traditional Thanksgiving trimmings that I remember from years gone by!!
    Only two of us here and I love leftovers, but there's still too much food because I want to make all my favorite recipes.

So I think I'm going to do what I did a couple years ago and have a small Thanksgiving dinner every week in November. That way we have all our favorites, and I can spread the heavy carb laden food out in different meals. There will be leftovers but I won't be scrambling to find space for 6 different side dishes all at once.

I already have a spiral ham, and will get a small turkey breast. DH will be asking about the cranberry fruit salad before long, I will have to make that twice.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This year want the 20# turkey, I love leftovers for sandwiches, pot pies, the broth or just munching on, sides will be stuffing w/ added veggies, ( mushrooms, apples, raisins, onion ) cranberries, brocolli, and pumpkin and pecan pie.

The turkey maybe cooked on the smoker vs the oven.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Aunt bea-remember the wrestling into the pan and washing the cavity. I bought the breast early to skip the mayhem and temptation. I always save the carcus then make broth then not use it. Sick of burning my fingers and the greasy cutting board and juice I always get down the burners. I hate all that space in the fridge being wated too. The best year was the rushed one where I chopped it up before cooking. Still moist just much quicker. I doubt too many people under 40 stuff it anyway.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalwarrior2 View Post
    Aunt bea-remember the wrestling into the pan and washing the cavity. I bought the breast early to skip the mayhem and temptation. I always save the carcus then make broth then not use it. Sick of burning my fingers and the greasy cutting board and juice I always get down the burners. I hate all that space in the fridge being wated too. The best year was the rushed one where I chopped it up before cooking. Still moist just much quicker. I doubt too many people under 40 stuff it anyway.
    My problem has always been thawing the giant bird prior to Thanksgiving. Many years it has sat overnight in the kitchen sink full of cold water with a towel draped over it, talk about a birdbath!!!

I can't resist a bargain. When all of the large grocery chains start offering frozen turkey as a loss leader or when I see one after the holiday at a deep discount I have trouble resisting the temptation to cook just one more turkey!

Many, many years ago I watched an episode of the Frugal Gourmet where he cut up a turkey and poached it instead of roasting it. I tried it and it made great moist turkey for salad and sandwiches with a bonus pot of broth for soup or gravy. This link is a variation of that recipe.

http://www.cooks.com/recipe/vf0026eq/boiled-turkey.html

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Aunt Bea-I always get the big ones and they are still frozen 2 days later so i rinse and rinse w/ hot water. Its ok to do that if you are baking it next but not if it will sit. My hands get burnt and frost bitten at once. If I left it in the sink " Christmas Story"would come to life w/ the bumpus hounds. Or cats would just lick it hours. I learned to cut it up from this old hill-billy buddy of mine who worked at Kroger deli. She bought several and cooked and deboned and froze after the holiday. Chucked them in the freezer. She also taught me how to kill ground bees w/ the shop vac.lol I miss her.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We don't usually get a large turkey, but in the past when we did we thawed it in the picnic cooler. You can also use the cooler to brine the bird the night before.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

One year we ended up thawing the turkey in the bathtub. DH said he would "deal with the turkey" that year but he didn't realize it had to be thawed. (Very typical male----won't read directions before starting a project.) It was a huge turkey, just this big frozen hunk of meat, too big for the sink. Boy, did I scrub that tub afterwards.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

ILC-ewwwww? I have a sprayer hose and wear it on my arm 1/2 the time. Yanking on the neck. I bet you could make a hyterical video of people trying to last minute defrost a huge bird. I have this weird cat audience watching from afar.

Got some of the work done but i am rainy day lazy. I talked to Dh and he was the same except w/o the rain.

Anyone own or have owned a Honda Odyssey EX van. I am considering one. Even though the kids are grown I need a vehicle for lg. dogs and vet transport for multiple cat carriers,and garage sale finds,Halloween hay and pumpkins and the like in a winter climate.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've run into the frozen turkey issue and had to thaw it - I used a big rubbermaid tote. Unfortunately one year it had a pinhole leak in it which I didn't discover immediately and it ruined several of my kitchen vinyl tiles. Sheesh...

I'm planning traditional even though there will likely only be 3-4 of us.

Turkey
    Stuffing
    Waldorf Salad
    Sweet potatoes (or mashed)
    Brussel sprouts or broccoli or asparagus
    Crescent rolls
    Pumpkin pie
    Homemade Apricot Chutney
    Homemade Pickled Cranberries

I've got it pretty much down to a science, where I make much of it ahead of time (precook, prepare in advance and just stick in oven, crockpot). So it's easy peasy.
    2020 Pay Off Debt Challenge: $25,675.45/$25,676.45 (Goal COMPLETED: Pay Off By 12/30/2020)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ms. MH- The pickled cranberries sound interesting, could you share the recipe or point me to the one that you use.

Thanks B

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast