Stuffing or Dressing? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi, TDN! Good to see you!

fw, my great-grandmother (my dad's grandmother) was a wonderful lady. She stayed sharp till she died at 99 years and 11 months. When I was in college we were visiting her (she lived in Alabama and we in Georgia) and she understood what my major was--special education. She said, "Oh, handicapped children!" and we discussed it for a few minutes. Her picture was on the front page of the Montgomery newspaper when she died because she was the matriarch of a locally prominent family. She took my dad to church when he was a child and he owed his religious upbringing to her because his parents didn't attend church much. And oh, she could cook. She was known as "Sweetheart" by just about everyone. I have a couple of little notes she wrote me when I was a young girl and I cherish them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

ILC-thanks great story.We just cant seem to make it that far. Dmom is 84 and my dads mom passed at 84 so we shall see. My Dmom is still in pretty goodish shape. I mean shes active and thin.

Never heard of egg in stuffing. I am thinking walnuts this year? Dh may not squauk because he like walnuts.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

FW, a little egg (mixed in with the other liquid) in your stuffing will make it hold together in more of a loaf, and keep it from being really crumbly.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

TDN
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    FW, a little egg (mixed in with the other liquid) in your stuffing will make it hold together in more of a loaf, and keep it from being really crumbly.
    That's what I was thinking it was for contrary,

I also have a recipe from a precious old lady friend of mine who died in her 90's ......stuffing balls.....she made them every year for her family. I made them for my family once but honestly my family does not like change......not even the tiniest bit! I remember liking them.....basically the stuffing formed into balls.......might make them but prob will go with the crockpot or bake in oven.......

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

After I posted that I thought I remembered hearing that some people also put chopped cooked egg into their stuffing. But I've never tried that. I suppose over the years people have tried everything in stuffing. And you like what your grandma made, which was probably what she had in the vegetable bin or pantry that week. I have heard of people that use crackers instead of bread crumbs. Or add white rice. I think those are recipes of necessity.

I saw a recipe for sausage and cheese stuffing balls on Pinterest. That might be a good football game snack. And I saw one wrapped in bacon. Dh would probably eat that. I don't know that I would serve them at Thanksgiving, but might be a good party app. I like the idea of stuffing muffins, though, especially if I was serving buffet style.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

CH-oh yeah. Dmom put egg and cracker crumbs in burger as a stretcher/filler and the egg was the binder. Egg and I dont do well together so none for me.

I absolutely never heard of stuffing balls. (don't you guys,just dont,ok) I read after I typed it.

I feel like searching recipes.com or something for types of stuffing.

TDN
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The recipe I was talking about was for raw egg added with other liquids.

I just looked but it appears in my decluttering I got rid of the church cook book my older friend had the stuffing ball recipe posted in.....but as I remember it was pretty basic with plenty of broth to hold everything together than made into bigger than golf ball but smaller than tennis ball size balls and just baked at maybe 350 degrees? Basic stuffing but individual serving sized......

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

TDN-allrecipes.com had both a bacon and spinach balls one. Did you look at Stove Top Sage. Or do they are use chicken broth?? (referring to when you said you cant have it).

So Kroger has their full size canned veg. 3/$1. so I got 11 cases and that 132 cans for $44.00. I took them all to the pantry but thats the last run before Thanksgiving. Mamas tired.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My dressing recipe calls for baked cornbread, eggs,butter, broth, celery, onions, sage, pepper. The sage adds so much to it. My mom used a mixture of white bread and cornbread which is what my great-grandmother's recipe called for. The sage adds a savory flavor and with cranberry sauce, it's a sweet-and-savory thing. Oh yum. It's SO good. Mama also made giblet gravy with chopped hard-boiled eggs because Daddy liked it but I found it stomach-turning.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I make the corn bread dressing do not put it in the bird for my son cooks the turkey but i do cook turkey legs and use the meat and broth making the dressing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by ilovechocolate View Post
    My dressing recipe calls for baked cornbread, eggs,butter, broth, celery, onions, sage, pepper. The sage adds so much to it. My mom used a mixture of white bread and cornbread which is what my great-grandmother's recipe called for. The sage adds a savory flavor and with cranberry sauce, it's a sweet-and-savory thing. Oh yum. It's SO good. Mama also made giblet gravy with chopped hard-boiled eggs because Daddy liked it but I found it stomach-turning.
    My dressing recipe is like your except i put in 3 or 4 slices white bread and now i leave out celery and use can celery soup the reason i use celery soup i was making dressing one time realized i didn't have celery so i used a can of soup and some liked it better then the fresh celery.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

well our stuffing (2 boxes) is gone. I may make 2 more. I didnt even add the chciken broth this time. Well,at least we used forks.lol IDK I should just make it more often maybe.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm a little late to the party..lol..

I grew up where my mom bought a bag of pepperidge farm seasoned bread cubes, sauteed onion & celery in a little butter after soft she would add the poultry seasoning, in another pot she would put all the turkey inners in water and boil until cooked..then mix the sauteed onion, celery in the flavored water then mixed the bread cubes, add salt,pepper some more poultry seasoning then mix in a egg and stuff the turkey.

For years I made stove top stuffing..now I make my own dressing.

I make my own homemade bread, cut it into cubes then bake it until crisp then after it's cool I put into a freezer bag weeks before I need it.

I used my home canned chicken broth, homegrown herbs to make the poultry seasoning except the salt and pepper, sauteed the onion & celery (didn't grow these but did try but we were in drought so they just didn't grow well) I mixed it all together and baked it in a buttered casserole dish...It was the best dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

I impressed myself..lol..
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brenda67 View Post
    I used my home canned chicken broth, homegrown herbs to make the poultry seasoning except the salt and pepper, sauteed the onion & celery (didn't grow these but did try but we were in drought so they just didn't grow well) I mixed it all together and baked it in a buttered casserole dish...It was the best dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

I impressed myself..lol..
    Don't forget you can take that celery ( probably onion too ) and start base in water in the house then plant in dirt in house.

We always called it stuffing growing up. With just me, hubs and the kid I'm the only one who likes it. Hubs... eh.. a little. If I were fixing it I'd just use Stove Top. I'm not a foodie so there's that. Easier the better. I remember the chicken broth, onions and beaten egg. Me, I'm like whoever said they like the crispy part. I like it dry versus moist. Think if I ever do make it again I'll try the muffin tin. Make a lot more crispies. Now I wish I had a little bit.
    Why do we only fix stuff like this once or twice a year? We like it... we just don't fix it. Makes nice leftovers/sides. Just a thought.
    It's like turkey. I don't buy a whole turkey. Only the breast but still lots of leftovers and easy but only a couple times a year. One year I fixed it several times on a weekend. It was cheap and cut down on cooking. I hate cooking.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

well nikko. I bought 12 boxes at .99 so i intend to make it more often now. If you used the egg in a muffin tin you could make a stuffin' muffin w/ bits of turkey thrown in?? Like a min breakfast casserole or better yet the sausage someone was talking about. Hmm? DH would love that.

Hope to get out of the house and go for a drive. Have to see if dog is better.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast