Stuffing or Dressing?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Stuffing or Dressing?

Whatever you call it, how do you make it? Do you use leftover bread or cornbread? A seasoned mix? What goes into it, nuts, fruit, giblets?

I have my own favorite recipe (Stovetop and cornbread) but I thought I'd try something new and I'm overwhelmed with variations.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

sorry no help here-Stove Top and DH only wants the Turkey one. I'm not "allowed to mess w/ it. No nuts,cranberries nuthin'. Just like mom made??lol
    When I was a kid we went toa restaurant and their stuffing was peppery,w/ giblets and it seems brown rice. LOVED it until mom thought it was funny to tell me what giblets were.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I make a traditional stuffing with day old bread, celery, onion, butter, Bell's poultry seasoning, etc...

A suggestion, if you want to get creative with the stuffing try mixing the "new" ingredients into a small portion of your regular stuffing mixture and filling the smaller tail cavity, under the large flap of skin, with the experimental stuffing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hate the stuff no matter what you want to do with it. I think my mom makes Stove Top with no embellishments.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For Thanksgiving I make homemade cornbread dressing with lots of celery, onions, and sage. Most of the time I use generic stove top but on special occasions I go all out for the real thing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

well heres a question? Do you guys still put it in the bird? I K there was warnings against it and we just cake pan it now at Dmoms w/ foil.

ILC-Do you make it traditional stuffing like on the wetter side?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hey I just remembered some years we would mix pumpernickel bread in for more flavor. I think that was a fun thing mom let us do was tear up all the bread for the stuffing. Seems like she put marjoram and thyme?? plus sage and dried parsley.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

fw, in the South most folks call it dressing and it's cooked separately from the bird. My great-grandmother's recipe called for it to be made into oblong patties to be baked. Most people make it in a casserole dish or a baking dish like a 9 x 13. Mine is moist but I wouldn't say it's wet before baking.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do it both ways stuffing and dressing. IMO the stuffing in the bird has a little more flavor and is usually a little more moist than the separate pan of dressing.

If you have leftover turkey or chicken you can make a one dish meal by adding chunks of cooked poultry to your batch of dressing prior to baking, serve it with gravy. You will see variations of this in Southern/Soul Food and Pennsylvania Dutch cookbooks. It is a tasty way to stretch a small amount of poultry.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Aunt Bea, I love to add turkey to the dressing & douse it in gravy.
    Although I know how to make dressing & have made a really good recipe with sausage in it, my DH, like FWs DH, really just likes stove top turkey flavor. Not Chicken. He does't want anything added either. Oh well, it's Ok with me . I got us stocked up on the Kroger sale last week. When it is just two of us, I make 1/2 the package.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

FW, we don't put it in the bird any more, mostly because we don't buy a big, whole turkey. That's too much for the two of us. The second reason is that DH uses a fast, higher heat cooking method where the cavity has to be empty. And third, we like it crispy on the edges, so I use a pan in the oven (but it's still called stuffing, dressing is for salads)

Anybody ever made a stuffing sandwich after Thanksgiving?
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

CH-guilty!lol I also like to mix and add the turkey, gravy and stuffing. I got in big trouble for that though. YOU BETTER EAT THAT and not just be playing w/ your food!hahahaha! I'm a mixer. Now KFC markets it. We do call it the dog food bowl here though. I also used to pat my pizza w/ a napkin as a kid because it was too greasy and got yelled at for bad behavior in a restaurant. Once Cholesterol was "invented" Dmom did apologise. I love watching the cooking things where they are asked to reimagine old foods. I dont salt the bird but use a stick of butter and soy sauce for a brown crispy skin. We are just doing the breast this time.Ds is the turkey leg guy and the rest went to the dogs here. Every year it seems we froze the breast and didnt make broth. About March out it went??

ILC-thanks. Dmom cooks Southernish but doesnt realize it.Her fried chicken is identical to Alabama fried chicken and sounds like her stuffing is too. Yeah,dressing is putting on clothes or for salads. The patty thing intrigues me and the fact you know anything about a great grandma. My moms mom passed when she was like 12 and dads mom passed when she was 16 and i thing why they came here for work from England to Detroit

Winkie-sausage. that sounds good. DH would be all over that. He's like what else could you put in it. 'm like walnut,brown rice,cranberries. Hes like that would be fine. I bet chorizo in it would perk his ears.

NOOOOWWW I want stuffing and pineapple upside down cake and spaghetti salad. I want to skip the potaotes but Dh would pout.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I start with soften the onions in butter, then add sliced mushrooms, then add diced apples, then raisins, I have already made this and its in the freezer, I will take it out and follow the instructions on the pepperidge farm blue bag. I make it on the stove top not in the oven. family & friends love it.
    I have never had the stove top one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I usually get the box of Mrs. Cubbison's and follow the directions on the box. Dh is the only one in the family that likes stuffing in the turkey so I do add just a little bit in the turkey to keep him happy, otherwise I bake it in a casserole dish.

TDN
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well I was not going to make "stuffing" ( I am in the dressing goes on my salad camp). Was skipping because I really love it and know I would end up eating most of it! Reading this post made me crave it to much though and have not had it in at least 3 years o it is time! Hubby will prob eat a tiny bit but will spend his carbs on other things he likes better. I have never seen a diabetic that stays on plan like he does.....365 days a year!.....but he is rewarded for it by normal blood sugar levels for 2 years now and no meds.

So I stopped at small grocery today and was going to buy the pepperige farms cubes but small store means limited selection so I got a box of the Marie calendars seasoned cubes and will follow the directions on the box for addding butter, onion, celery and veg broth and may add the optional egg? I will just make half the box and am thinking I will do the slow cooker option and use my new 2qt casserole crockpot. I did buy fresh mushrooms to sauté and add too. I can't buy the stove top because they all have chicken in the ingredients.....so have to make my own to make it vegetarian. I have gone the dry my own bread route when I made it before but not this year.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast