USDA: Thanksgiving Dinner Will Cost Less This Year
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default USDA: Thanksgiving Dinner Will Cost Less This Year

Has anyone figured out what they are spending? How many people are you feeding? Do you know your cost per person?

USDA: Thanksgiving Dinner Will Cost Less This Year - Ottumwa Radio
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

one store here had turkeys $.39 a pound - haven't seen them that low in YEARS. Not buying one though.
    Make America Kind Again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My local store has turkeys for $0.47 a pound, which is indeed a great price. I did already pick up one and I'm fighting the temptation to get a second, but I know I have at least 1 or 2 in my chest freezer.

Honestly, I have never found Thanksgiving a particularly expensive holiday. We'll have turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, waldorf salad, brown and serve rolls, and pumpkin pie. (Or some fairly similar menu). The ingredients for practically every dish are on sale this week at my grocery store. All that together costs less than $25-30, I'm sure, to feed 4-8 people. More expensive than a normal meal mostly because there are more meal components (and people), but definitely not budget breaking for us.
    2020 Pay Off Debt Challenge: $25,675.45/$25,676.45 (Goal COMPLETED: Pay Off By 12/30/2020)

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Turkey isn't cheap here. One of the grocery chains does this thing where you get a "free" turkey with the purchase of a ham. But the ham is $3.99 a pound. I don't know what they weigh, 3-4lbs maybe? So $12-15 for both.

Otherwise whole birds are $1.79/lb and breasts are $1.69. The other major chain has the same prices, unless you spend $25 then you can get a single whole bird at .88/lb. There's no incentive to compete, so smaller stores are charging the same. The last time I got a fresh breast from the local butcher shop it was ~$12.

Those are good deals on meat, sure, but nothing like the .39 and .49 prices you guys are reporting.

I do agree with you that the vegetables and sides don't cost much, especially with seasonal sales. Stick to the basics, potatoes, rolls, apple pie, seasonal greens, and it is very inexpensive to feed a crowd.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown