How Do You Spend Thanksgiving?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default How Do You Spend Thanksgiving?

How do you spend Thanksgiving?

Will it be a frugal holiday for you?
    Follow Frugal Village on Facebook and Pinterest!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It will be for us. It's only the two of us and my mom, and we all have various diet restrictions, so meals are generally small in quantity and variety and simple. The main point for us is just to be together.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quite likely it will be a small meal for just the two of us. There might be pie, I'm not sure. I'm leaning toward the pumpkin pecan torta (cake) this year. I'm not planning to spend a bunch of money on fancy ingredients, most of what we'll eat I'll get with our regular grocery budget. I've already got sweet potatoes, stuffing, pecans, baking supplies, cranberries, and cran juice on hand.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No traveling for us because the closest family is a 2 hour drive. ham, pumpkin roll, mashed potatoes, corn, hm rolls....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We will go to my moms, which is an hour away. The whole family comes so it's about 30 of us. My mom, who's 84 still does the turkey, stuffing and mashed potatoes and we all bring the rest. Whoever stays late will help her put the Christmas tree up, she then decorates it another day.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We celebrated Thanksgiving once already, lol. I work Thanksgiving 4:30pm-1am. Thanksgiving Day we will be giving thanks again but with baked ziti, salad, garlic bread and pumpkin pie. I am also taking a huge pan of ziti into work to share with my co-workers. We are doing a pot-luck. Wherever and however you celebrate Thanksgiving I am wishing everyone the best.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm at a point in my life where time is so much more valuable than money. My elderly brother and his wife are in Florida, probably for the last year. I ordered a Thanksgiving meal from Whole Foods, made a fruit & cheese tray and bought two pies from a bakery. I had some sweet potatoes, so I baked them last night and mashed them up with some butter to take over to their condo. There will only be five of us but there should be plenty of leftovers to carry us through the weekend.

Happy Thanksgiving.
    Kim
    The Lord will provide

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am alone, planning on some popcorn shrimp, tater tots, coleslaw. ice cream for dessert. Spent the morning chasing a squirrel off the bird feeder. Had bacon and french toast for breakfast. Very cold here (about 10).
    Make America Kind Again.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Have to defend myself for just staying home and staying out of the fighting...Can't even sit there quietly as the in-laws, sister's family, just start up and he has the kids joining in as some of the kids are taught today to verbally harass unwelcome adults (who are on disability check especially...) Kids/BIL are getting so threatening, I REFUSE to attend. Cannot talk back or he could harm me as he is doctor and these have been known to do psych holds on family to 'correct' misunderstanding...I've seen a LOT of females harmed in my community by METOO and mental care calling victims schizo plus predator white-collars like I listed, so I don't go ANYWHERE near a member of the medical profession ( plus cops, psych care, attorneys, social worker to name a few predator types) who doesn't act right...Family is small so cannot always stick to wing-man like glue as husband is spending some time at the jail for a while for something dumb so I'm alone with them good amount of time just visiting family.

Was easier to refuse living alone. But now living with aging parent so there's now two fights...

I still get to see sister & the kids when they drop by unannounced here and there when they want something (making $150k a year, mooching $35k parent still)... I wish that was enough but my Mother's always been the dominator no matter what and doesn't care about norms....She would never take NO for answer as child either...HATE being back to that as an adult. I stayed away for 20 years but then ran into my own employment problems living in another city so luck to have a roof over my head. Father's wasn't well anyway so didn't hurt to have me around during days.

Did my own crockpot turkey with some sides...Happy for this year... Want to move parent a little ways from BIL & sister to contain the mooching and threats... Then just take her to visit myself and ignore every threatening comment...Cause BIL can't do psych hold if I live in another county. Where we're currently staying had a rise in crime and bad policing, so many of the older ones are quietly just moving away...

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

HUGS to anyone out there doing Thanksgiving alone...Sometimes family and friends have different schedules or have to work ...So, we're alone...But will meet so many nice and caring people in our lifetimes, another Thanksgiving will come with new friends to invite to a new celebration.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by miss_cas2 View Post
    Have to defend myself for just staying home and staying out of the fighting...Can't even sit there quietly as the in-laws, sister's family, just start up and he has the kids joining in as some of the kids are taught today to verbally harass unwelcome adults (who are on disability check especially...) Kids/BIL are getting so threatening, I REFUSE to attend. Cannot talk back or he could harm me as he is doctor and these have been known to do psych holds on family to 'correct' misunderstanding...I've seen a LOT of females harmed in my community by METOO and mental care calling victims schizo plus predator white-collars like I listed, so I don't go ANYWHERE near a member of the medical profession ( plus cops, psych care, attorneys, social worker to name a few predator types) who doesn't act right...Family is small so cannot always stick to wing-man like glue as husband is spending some time at the jail for a while for something dumb so I'm alone with them good amount of time just visiting family.

Was easier to refuse living alone. But now living with aging parent so there's now two fights...

I still get to see sister & the kids when they drop by unannounced here and there when they want something (making $150k a year, mooching $35k parent still)... I wish that was enough but my Mother's always been the dominator no matter what and doesn't care about norms....She would never take NO for answer as child either...HATE being back to that as an adult. I stayed away for 20 years but then ran into my own employment problems living in another city so luck to have a roof over my head. Father's wasn't well anyway so didn't hurt to have me around during days.

Did my own crockpot turkey with some sides...Happy for this year... Want to move parent a little ways from BIL & sister to contain the mooching and threats... Then just take her to visit myself and ignore every threatening comment...Cause BIL can't do psych hold if I live in another county. Where we're currently staying had a rise in crime and bad policing, so many of the older ones are quietly just moving away...
    You do not have to defend yourself. There’s nothing wrong with having a quiet Thanksgiving at home. Sounds like you may want to put a little distance between you and your sister’s family. I wish you the best. Do not get sucked into too much drama, there’s somethings you cannot control and it is not worth the hassle and stress. The only person that suffers is you. It sounds like your sister enjoys teetering on the edge of her financial instability and her husband sounds like a bully. Do your best to kill them with kindness and quietness and know that you are doing the best you can taking care of yourself and your mom.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We celebrated a few weeks ago with extended family because that worked for all of us. Today was with my husband, DD, DD, DGS’s and DSGF. We did Italian! We have been eating turkey, ham and all the fixings for 2 weeks now.

Then I went to work. I was happy to work and see my friend who dreads holidays. Her only child, daughter, was killed about 7 years ago. She wishes she was dead and goes through crushing depression. I enjoyed being with her and seeing her smile today.