Where you can get Thanksgiving dinner for less than $50
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Where you can get Thanksgiving dinner for less than $50

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news...r-less-than-50

"But the American Farm Bureau Federation consistently predicts Americans can buy a Thanksgiving meal for ten people for less than $50. So, CNBC put it to the test.

In an experiment, the business news outlet went to five grocery stores with a list of 17 items for Thanksgiving dinner. Only two stores offered all 17 items for less than $50."

I have to wonder how their findings compare with an average grocery store like Kroger, Albertsons, Hy-vee, Publix, Price Chopper, HEB, etc.

Here is the actual article that explains what they did: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/08/than...s-in-2019.html
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Interesting. My Safeway frozen turkey was $.37/lb with a minimum purchase of $25 (I think). I make my own stuffing bread cubes from a bread machine recipe and dry them in the oven. Apparently apple pie was to be from scratch but pumpkin would be much cheaper than apples I think. And why 2 lbs of butter? That seems like more than anyone would need......

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

.37 is terrific! Cheapest here is .59 at Aldi, other wise it is 1.29 at Hyvee. I just bought 2 boneless breasts at Aldi. Don't have to store or thaw a big bird.

Butter, hmmn. I guess you need some to baste the turkey, to put in stuffing, to put out with rolls, for the mashed potatoes, for making gravy. I think 1.25 lbs would be enough.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think sales are critical as well. My grocery store puts most of the fixings on sale the week before and the week of. If you start to early and pay full price, it's obviously more expensive.

My Jewel has frozen Jennie-O turkeys for $0.39 a pound (with a $25 purchase, which I have no trouble reaching). I bought that, along with 10 pounds of potatoes for $1.48.

I have often thought over the years that Thanksgiving is actually one of the cheaper holiday meals.
    2018/2019 Pay Off the Windows Challenge: $31,057.34/$31,057.34 (Goal: Pay Off By 11/30/2019 - DONE! PAID IN FULL 11/15/19)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Northern New Jersey is a high cost of living area. So I would expect food to be more expensive there.

I don't live in Northern New Jersey, but I do live in a high cost of living area.

I am not sure you can do a dollar amount for anything that makes sense for the whole US. there is just so much difference between cost of living in various areas. The exception would be things you everyone is getting from the same online store.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

well we are a high cost area and can do it for $50 unless you are getting butterball pre stuffed etc. or organic .. because turkeys are .99 a lb some free w store points. stovetop stuffing is alway $1 a box everywhere for holidays. 2lbs of butter is $$$ but still on sale $6 for 2.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think if you go to a regular chain grocery your prices are going to be pretty good. I got the sale ad today, and I'm looking at .39/lb sweet potatoes, .49 frozen brand name corn, canned soup, broth, and whipped topping. $1.99 store brand butter (going to stock up). It was $1.99 at Aldi last week, too. Brand name stuffing 2/$3, cornbread mix .59, cranberries .99.

Last week was the baking sale, brand name flour 1.99, sugar .99, eggs .99, cream cheese .89.

To misquote Dr Strangelove, a guy could have a pretty good thanksgiving weekend with all that stuff.

Use it up, Wear it out,