What is one of your favorite recipes to make for Thanksgiving?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default What is one of your favorite recipes to make for Thanksgiving?

Other than the usual turkey,mashed potatoes,stuffing,rolls and veggie..I get raves for my side dishes which is Turnips and Coleslaw..

I peel and quarter 2 medium size turnips or 1 large and 3 red potatoes peeled and halfed boil them till tender,drain them and mash adding sugar,salt,pepper and butter.

1 head of cabbage chopped real fine and I add sugar,salt,pepper and mayo..I refridgerate for at least 24hrs so flavor comes together..

So whats your recipes?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would have to say my favorite recipes would be my dressing, sweet potato casserole, broccoli casserole (I use recipe for Campbells green bean casserole but sub broccoli) apple-gingerbread cobbler and my homemade mac & cheese. I also make my coleslaw like you do and everyone loves it! I don't use salt in mine though cause I feel the mayo is salty enough. How much pepper and sugar so you use in yours?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I enjoy making the dressing. I love cornbread with mushrooms, sausage, onions & celery. I am always in charge of the dressing and would be miffed if I wasn't, lol.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Those all sound wonderful girls....Mine would be my oven- roasted veggies and my mother's stuffing recipes with sausage and chestnuts.

Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob AmyMCGS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We always eat dinner at my mother-in-law's, and she insists upon making all the dishes herself. So, most years I bring a plate of my Pumpkin Chocolate Chip cookies... then I still feel like I'm contributing something, but it doesn't interefere with her menu. (In my family it's a major sin to NOT bring something to dinner, so it took a few years for MIL and I to work it out-- me feeling guilty and her feeling like I was stepping on her toes-- LOL!)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sugar pie! I love sugar pie, even though you can't eat too much of it. That, and maple glazed carrots. I drizzle my steamed carrots with butter and pure maple syrup, season with salt and pepper and its very delicious.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My yeast rolls. I have to bring my yeast rolls every year, at my dad's insistence lol. Also this jello thing w/ cranberry sauce, raspberry jello, & cool whip. It's REALLY good!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I always make sage stuffing -- a recipe handed down to me by my mom. I also bake the pies. I love baking pies.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wink

My specialty is the turkey and gravy.

I put mine into the oven the night before (around 8 pm). It has been washed out and buttered and salt and peppered and put into the pan upside down. I add a can of chicken broth and then roast it on 300 degrees for 60 minutes. After that, I turn the oven down to 200 degrees and cook it until I am ready to make the rest of the meal (about 11 am the next day)

It's not "pretty" because it is cooked breast side down, but I cut it up before serving it anyway.

This technique makes the house smell great all night, moist white meat, and gravy to die for. There is usually about 3 inches of juice in the pan that I make into gravy. dh wants to just drink it from a cup but ..