Alone on Thanksgiving?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Alone on Thanksgiving?

Anyone else going to be alone tomorrow? DH has to work tommorrow and Friday. So, it's just going to be me and the cat. He will get turkey and everything at work. I'm thinking I might fix myself a steak.

I will probably watch the parade and work on my Christmas cards. Who knows I may even do laundry -- I'm assuming the laundry room will be empty.

I'm going to cook the full dinner -- turkey and fixin's on Saturday. But it will just be the two of us -- family is all in another state.

More often than not I'm home alone on the holidays while DH is working, so I should be used to it. But it's getting to me more than usual this year. With everyone getting so excited about what they are doing it can be easy to feel left out if your circumstances are different.

So anyone else going to be alone? What do you do to keep it from getting to you?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am not totally going to be alone, I will have my kids during the day, but they are going to their dads at 4 til 8. I think I will take that time to watch a movie, maybe write some Christmas Cards, and enjoy the peace and quiet.

Is there any friends who are doing anything just friends like after family things? I know a few of my friends are going out that night before they shop on Black Friday!

Hope you have a great day whatever you plan to do!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yup will be home alone. I am still cooking a meal for myself. To many years I thought it is just myself but you know why shouldn't I have a meal! Family always celebrated the day after. So will be making "TV dinners" with the leftovers.

Think of something you can do to treat yourself.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

<center></center>

Wishing everyone -all you precious people here at the village a wonderful Thanksgiving!! Even through all of the hardships this year, I have plenty to be thankful for.

I too will be alone for most of Thanksgiving.
    I will be here at the house alone as usual after going to my mom's. That usually doesn't last too long. Friday I go back to work so I will be doing housework too. I will probably find a marathon to watch on tv or play games on the computer (club pogo). I also have some books from the library. Hopefully a lazy day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Happy Thanksgiving to you. I wish you were able to spend it with family. I am sure your dinner on Saturday will be yummy!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Though my husand will be home this Thanksgiving, I have spent many alone or with just DS. Thanksgiving was never a huge holiday growing up, so I have never made it big as an adult. It's just DH, DS, DD, so I will pop a chicken in the crock pot and we will have dinner and go to the Assisted Living and see my mother - we had Thanksgiving dinner there last week for the families and residents. Besides I have about 6 loads of ironing to do and DH and DS is home to help with DD.
    Don't let it bring you down. And if you think about, North Americans are the only ones that celebrate it - we lived overseas for the last 5 years and I mainly went shopping out in town on Thanksgiving. One year when my husband was in Iraq, we ate at the dining facility on post for free!
    You could always treat yourself by going to see a movie or eating out. Curl up with a good book or even shop at WalMart. Or perhaps if there is one local, you could volunteer at the soup kitchen or homeless shelter - they can always use a hand on the holidays.
    Best wishes to you with whatever you decide to do!
    Dianne
    Last edited by dianne9106; 11-22-2007 at 12:27 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by dianne9106 View Post
    Or perhaps if there is one local, you could volunteer at the soup kitchen or homeless shelter - they can always use a hand on the holidays.
    Believe it our not they don't here. We live in a city that is big on volunteerism -- a certain number of volunteer hours are even a graduation requirement at most of our high schools. There are always plenty of volunteers, especially at the holidays so they do turn people away. We have tried several times and were told we weren't needed. The first time we were turned away I was in shock. I didn't know charities ever had "enough" volunteers. They're always happy to take our money, but our time and effort -- not so much.

I'll be okay. As I said it's not unusual for me to be alone on the holidays. I'm just in a snit because we got an invitation to a big family dinner (didn't even know they did that anymore) on Tuesday when it was way to late to make arrangements to be there. If we had known earlier dh might have been able to get time off to go. And then with everybody carrying on about who's coming and what they're cooking I just let it get to me.

I'll be okay -- I've got plenty to do. But I'll probably be out of here for a couple of days till all the holiday hoopla settles down. Best wishes to all.
    Last edited by LizaZ; 11-22-2007 at 07:53 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

When I was married I spent all the holidays alone, Thanksgiving, Christmas, new ears, etc

It did get to me when I heard others plans, etc so I always just took time for myself doing or eating something I wanted during those times.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I used to spend all the holidays alone when DH was in the military! Now it is just the 2 of us because we live too far away from family. I have found that sometimes it's lonely, but also that it is usually a lot less stressful : )

Best wishes to you and your hubby when he gets home.

leezza

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I kinda know what you mean about being alone. Not that I'm literally alone during the holidays because my DH and 2 kids are here as well, but my family lives in Canada and when I hear their stories about getting together for the holidays I get a little home sick and feel alone while everyone there is together. I have to say that as the years pass it is getting a little easier.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My kids left yesterday to go to their dad's three hours away. My 18-year-old drove himself and his brothers there and he will be returning on Friday because he has to work. The other two boys would like to come home at that time, too, but I don't know if their dad will let them; otherwise, they're there until Sunday. I had them last Thanksgiving so he gets them this year.

One of my older sons invited me to his place 100 miles away, but I didn't want to make the trip by myself. My 17-year-old son's girlfriend invited me to her family's, too, but I declined. So, I guess I don't mind being home....alone.

I took a steak that was "reduced for quick sale" out of the freezer and will have that, with a baked potato, for TG dinner.

I've been doing this "alternating holiday" stuff for 12 years and have gotten used to it. The first holiday the kids were gone, I volunteered at a homeless shelter for the day. It was a good time for me and I tried to do it the next time my kids were scheduled to be gone, but they had all the volunteers they needed!

So, just me....and the cats, dogs, computer. I think I will watch "The Sound of Music" later, though.

Janis

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Had a busy day, but never got around to printing out my Chirstmas cards. Will have to get to that tomorrow.

I did watch the original Miracle on 34th Street. Had never seen it before.

Will have steak and cheesecake (with a few veggies so we're not too naughty) when dh gets home.

Hope everybody had a good day whether alone or with the "thundering herd."