Cars we loved.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cars we loved.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Cars we loved.

Remember when you could sit on the porch, watch the cars
    driving by and be able to name every one?

So many of the cars look alike these days, that I have no clue
    what most of them are. I do know a PT cruiser, a corvette,
    and a Volkswagon....lol

Of all the vehicles you have ever owned, what was your
    favorite? Feel free to reminisce.

My favorite car was a 68 GTO.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

NOW you're speaking my language. I'm one of those strange girls (women) who loves cars and baseball, too.

My current car is the only 'new' car I've ever owned, it's a 2005 Cavalier, and it's ORANGE (the color is actually called Sunburst). I bought it on Hallowe'en, so of course it's name is The Pumpkin.

The car I drove on a daily basis before purchasing The Pumpkin in 2004 was a 1978 (yes, 1978) black Cadillac Deville. That car was old enough to vote!! Huge, 11 mpg, but an awesome car.

(Warning, this could be a new thread) My worst car ever was the AMC Gremlin we owned in the early 80s. It was rusted so badly that you could check the oil WITHOUT raising the hood. There was a little tray that ran under the dashboard but stopped where the steering column entered the engine compartment. The windows leaked so badly that water would get on that tray, and if you made a hard left - BOOSH!- your legs got soaked!! AND (this was my favorite part) every single knob had fallen off, so I carried a crescent wrench on the front seat to operate the radio, lights and heat. This is the car we brought our firstborn home from the hospital in!!!
    Last edited by MaryCarney; 08-16-2009 at 12:59 PM. Reason: I really need to learn to proof BEFORE I post!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Two cars that I owned and would LOVE to have back:

68 Camaro - my boyfriend rebuilt a 350 engine and put a manual 4 speed in it. I had SO much fun in this car and raced it on the street. GUYS hated it when a girl beat them.

72 Cutlass - bought used. The window sticker was still in the glove box - $5,000. It came with an 8-track from the factory! I got so many compliments on the car and people offered to buy it from me on a regular basis. Sadly, it was totaled.

I currently own a 1992 Chevy stepside extended cab pickup that I purchases brand new and that I love. It has almost 250,000 on the original engine. I am currently saving up to have the transmission rebuilt.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I LOVED my 1973 AMC Gremlin!! It was my first car, bought used and paid for with my own money. It was so much fun to drive and made many road trips to the beach.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I never really got into cars but dh is and always has been!! When we first started dating he had a 72 Chevy Ventura that was completely illegal to drive on the streets but he did! It was so loud you could here it coming long before he got to my house! He loved it but decided to get something more "grown up" when we got married in 1985. He regrets selling it and would love to find something like it again!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brainyblonde View Post
    I LOVED my 1973 AMC Gremlin!! It was my first car, bought used and paid for with my own money. It was so much fun to drive and made many road trips to the beach.
    You know, when you see those old Gremlins in comercials now, they always have that leprosy paint job, and just scream 'LOSER' about the driver. I remember them being kind of a cool car when they first came out!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My g.f in high school has a 72 cutlass. We rode around in that thing forever!! My parents wouldnt let me have a car.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My first ever car was a 1938 Packard straight-8 limousine. Terrible gas mileage (8 mpg on the highway!), but driving around with that eight-foot long hood stretching out in front, the pedestrian-impaler hood ornament, the old Zenith tube radio cranked up - WOW!

I kept it for a long time, but I never had the time to properly look after it and restore it the way it deserved. I sold it to a collector when DW and I moved here.

BTW, I'm not that old! The car was already long out of style when I was born.

picture here
    Last edited by KeithBC; 08-17-2009 at 01:13 AM. Reason: found a picture

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My top 3 are:

*My first car - Monte Carlo given to me for my 16th birthday from my daddy. Daddy had it all tricked out for me. Tinted windows, rims, spinners, a super cool CD player - I absolutely loved it!!! Although I am so short I had to sit on a pillow to see over the wheel. I wanted to kick the dummy who hit me causing it to be totaled. It was a major 4 car accident with one vehicle that jack-knifed into oncoming traffic and getting hit head on - not just a simple bump from behind.

*Jeep Wrangler DH and I bought just as a 3rd vehicle to have because it was just so darn fun to drive around. We didn't need it, already had two cars. I saw it one day, liked it and asked DH for it. A couple of days later he called me and told me I could write the check for it. I never drove it until after I bought it. But once I did drive it , I was having a blast. So much fun!!! I was furious at the little punk who ran the red light and hit me.

*BMW 535i (5 speed) DH gave me as a Christmas present in 2002. Talk about a sweet ride - fully loaded with every bell and whistle I could ever want and then some. He and I loved to go on the back roads and see how fast she would go, how she hugged the curves and how smooth of a ride she was. As soon as either of the cars we have now needs to be replaced, I will be giving serious thought to getting another BMW - either another 5 series or moving up to a 7 series.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My first car was a red Chevy Chevette.

The football players at school could pick it up and move it around the parking lot.

I would love to have a 60's model mustang fully restored.

Right now I have a 99 GMC suburban and I like driving it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCarney View Post

(Warning, this could be a new thread) My worst car ever was the AMC Gremlin we owned in the early 80s. It was rusted so badly that you could check the oil WITHOUT raising the hood. There was a little tray that ran under the dashboard but stopped where the steering column entered the engine compartment. The windows leaked so badly that water would get on that tray, and if you made a hard left - BOOSH!- your legs got soaked!! AND (this was my favorite part) every single knob had fallen off, so I carried a crescent wrench on the front seat to operate the radio, lights and heat. This is the car we brought our firstborn home from the hospital in!!!
    OMG........this cracked me up! I remember those horrible cars! And they were butt ugly too! Looked like someone had kicked the butt end of them too hard!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

OOOH Baby. I bought an AMX ( A Javelin w/ spoiler) Jet black. Had 401 engine, 4 barrel holly carb rebuilt from my friends Trans Am. Reverse Hemi trans i believe. I thought it was so cool because it had desert Air. Black brushed interior.Dual exhausts. I could beat anyone in that thing. It was not in good condition. My dad called it a pig but couldn't help checking it out. I paid $750. for it. I saved 8 months working at a child care nursery to buy it. It's a wonder i am still alive. I cruised Woodward in that car long before "The Dream Cruise". It IS always the quiet ones!!! LOL.

Oh Mary, Second only to the Pinto. Some poor kid tried to make a race car out of one when we were kids. He got laughed off the strip. He dropped this ginormous engine in and had to take the hood off because it wouldn't close. Shortly after that it came out that they could explode if you hit the gas tank in a rear end collision. All that work. Poor kid. How humiliating.!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I LOVED my '67 Mustang, 289, V8!!! White vinyl top, mag wheels, console, and black vinyl bucket seats!!! OH YEAH!!!

Sold it when I lived in San Diego for more than I paid for it....bought it used....in '69 I think it was.

The other car I didn't own but loved......the first year GTO......'65 think it was. My boyfriend in high school had one. YEOW!!! Did that thing SMOKE through the quarter mile!! The car I learned to speed shift in......

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeithBC View Post
    My first ever car was a 1938 Packard straight-8 limousine. Terrible gas mileage (8 mpg on the highway!), but driving around with that eight-foot long hood stretching out in front, the pedestrian-impaler hood ornament, the old Zenith tube radio cranked up - WOW!

I kept it for a long time, but I never had the time to properly look after it and restore it the way it deserved. I sold it to a collector when DW and I moved here.

BTW, I'm not that old! The car was already long out of style when I was born.

picture here
    You're not old!! I refer to myself (much to the kids chagrin) as a 'retired hippie'!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ooohhhh boy, a subject I can sink my teeth in to!!!

My favorite? Was my first a 69 firebird; man, did I love that car. Made all the boys jealous. My daddy bought it for me (the one and only one), and did I enjoy the H*** out of it.

I have alway enjoyed the GTOs (old boyfriend), corvettes (ex), and more recently my DH first car, a 78 firebird - I found one just like his old one and bought it - we are currently working on restoring it.

Has anyone else notice how the auto makers are trying sooo hard to remake the old legends??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast