Younger bosses/supervisors at work
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Younger bosses/supervisors at work

Any of you have them?

I sure do
    (I am working a retail job right now-not by choice but for necessity)

Some I genuinely like but some - well It is hard some days to be told when you can take your break, go to the bathroom etc by an 18 year old...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Currently, my supervisor is just a few years younger than I am, but what is funny about it is that I was working in Sacramento as a secretary when he was hired in our office. So I was the one *he* used to come to with questions. Then he left, and I left, and we ended up working in the same office again in Los Angeles, but as co-workers. Then I moved back to Sacramento, and a couple of years later, he got the job as a supervisor there! Happily, I like him, and we've always gotten along well.
    Last edited by madhen; 09-27-2009 at 02:42 PM.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yup, our company owner has his 2 younger sons working to take over when he retires. I don't mind that they are younger, they are smart enough to know the people who do the job are the ones they need to go to when they have a question and that is what they do. I'm the senior operator in my department and they come to me quite often, even their dad does this. Now they may not always take what I tell them as law, but it is nice to know they consider my opinion worthy of their time.

Cat

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Ocean_Beach_Dweller's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry to intrude since i'm actually a young person, but as someone on the other side of this I thought i'd give my 2 cents. The receptionists at my company also complete a lot of small admin assistant type tasks for my department. They are about the same age as my mom (and even have children my age) so when I started working there I was very uncomfortable when my boss told me "Tell (receptionists) to do this or get that" and I would usually just do it myself because it didn't feel right telling someone older than me to do something. But my boss noticed and told me I shouldn't be doing the small admin stuff, so now I just try to ask as nicely and respectfully as possible, but I'm still not completely comfortable with the situation.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I can relate to both sides. When I started teaching as a graduate assistant in college many years ago, it was disconcerting to have older people in my classes. I felt like I was usurping their place at the desk. They should have been the teachers.

I have been in the position of supervising older people and I agree with Ocean Beach Dweller, sometimes it can be uncomfortable and with some requires a great deal of tact. On the other hand, as the older worker who has been supervised often by younger people, I have to say it just depends on the individual. Some are great to work with, and for others, well, we can only hope they grow up someday. Those also require plenty of tact and a big dollop of compassion.

But I have to say I have been fortunate to have mostly worked with people of every age who viewed the workplace as a place for friendly collaboration rather than competition and bossing people around.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by madhen View Post
    Currently, my supervisor is just a few years younger than I am, but what is funny about it is that I was working in Sacramento as a secretary when he was hired in our office. So I was the one *he* used to come to with questions. Then he left, and I left, and we ended up working in the same office again in Los Angeles, but as co-workers. Then I moved back to Sacramento, and a couple of years later, he got the job as a supervisor there! Happily, I like him, and we've always gotten along well.
    yep that is a riot

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've only had a couple of bosses younger than me and only by a few years. Probably because older nurses want the director jobs because they don't want to be on their feet anymore.

I know when my brother got out of the Navy after 20 years he said he was really sick of some of the 18 year old kids coming in. He stated "they weren't even born when I went in the Navy!"

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I work retail and have 4 bosses, a couple, their daughter and her husband. I actually have no problem with it at all. It's their family business, the "kids" are in their 30s and adults.

I like what I do and the daughter and her husband are great managers.

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's how it was at my old job... now I have a new job and my boss is older. I didnt like the being told what to do by someone much younger than me but that's how it worked. Now I am basically managing myself.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

One advantage of retiring early is you don't have that problem. :-) What I dislike is having doctors a lot younger than me. Makes me feel old!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I enjoyed reading all the posts. I am a teacher's aid and the teacher I work with is 26. I am 40. We have a wonderful working relationship. I respect her because she finished her degree, completes so much paper work (special education), and gives her all to our students'. She respects me because I'm working on my degree, have 2 children of my own and have been working with ED kids for 10 years. Outside of work we get along too. We go to dinner, movies, and watch the Washington Capitals play hockey. I feel very blessed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Trust me, it's awkward for them, too. I know because I was one of those. I was the night manager at a drugstore and I managed a ton of people who were older than me. It felt weird to tell someone my dad's age to go mop the bathroom. Most of them I liked, but there was this one lady...If I told her something, she'd ignore it because of my age. However, if my boss came by 10 minutes later and told her the same exact thing, she'd get right on it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Had it happen once when working retail. Younger by about 10 years. But the guy was nice and I figured he deserved just as much respect as anyone else.

Now younger doctors, well sometimes I wonder if "Skippy" has enough experience. lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Age really doesn't matter to me. I respect someone for how he or she handles a job, accepts responsibility, treats people, etc. Both the young and the old can do this well or do this terribly. At my age, most of the working force is younger than me (and so are my doctors....). I don't mind. I'm retired but just accepted a job offer to teach a couple of college courses. Both the division head and the department head were probably of high school age when I was a young teacher. Someone taught them well, and now I have the privilege of working with them. Age is probably one of the last factors I would consider about job relationships.
    Spiritual:
    "You are fearfully and wonderfully made." Please... respect life.

Financial:
    Debt free, hoping to stay that way!

MY BLOG: glorybug.wordpress.com

1. Keep on writing.
    2. Get some balance in my life.
    3. Lose weight. Hopefully 20# this year.
    4. Continue to be looking for how God wants to use me this year.

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I used to work in a restaurant where no one spoke English. The owner would get his 12 year old to ream me out when she got in after school.

That sucked. A lot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast