I'm leaving the nest. (long if I start to ramble) - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cull out some of your less important items, bring some of your more useful and sentimental items with you, take pictures of other stuff to put in an album to bring with you and then leave those items in your home with your daughter and then if you really miss them, grab them when you go back for a visit. Just because you cannot take everything doesn't mean you need to part with it right now, particularly if you have a safe place for it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by krbshappy71 View Post
    What would you move? How would you draw the line? (knowing all things will be safe in the house you are leaving it in)
    You have to move/take what is RIGHT for you.........decide if you could 'get by' or live without it for a spell.......is it "needed"........or
    something just "wanted" to make you more comfy.

Think the key here, from the rest of your post, is BELIEVING that
    "all things will be safe in the house you are leaving"..........if you don't really feel that then you won't want to leave the items.

Also...........will they be able to store it for as long as you might need it stored??????????? (will it crowd them to store it? is it taking up some space that they might later want? is it in some shed that could leak in the weather? will any temp. changes affect what is stored?)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

An update in case anyone is curious. So I ended up moving with my van, 3 dogs, and pulled a 5x8 U-haul trailer. I left a ton of household items back for my daughter, I moved a good amount of household items for my bf-now-husband and the new house, and overall I felt I did a good job weeding through it all by starting early. I even went through some boxes twice as once they were packed up and labeled the items started to feel less important to me after sitting in boxes for months unopened.

Then we had an unexpected event and I ended up moving back to Colorado with two of my dogs and only my clothes and most personal items. My daughter that I left a ton of stuff with is now moving THIS coming weekend!! Irk! So I am selling the Colorado house and moving permanently to be with my husband. Once again I am packing and sorting and being even MORE ruthless than before because I know that I already moved what I truly felt I couldn't do without.

Thank you all for the advice that I continue to receive on this forum, it has helped me so much and I read back through the responses on this thread looking for guidance again about the packing and moving since I'm doing it again. Since I'm selling the house it does feel good that this is now a once and for all finished deal. Whatever I take, I take, and whatever I dispose of, it is good bye and I wont even see it in Goodwill the next week on the shelf. ha!

You guys are great.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I didn't realize the age of this post when I wrote my initial small book about stuff so I deleted all that. But I'm glad things seemed to have worked out well for you. I laughed when you commented on not being able to look for your things at Goodwill. That was a comment I had written - looking for a certain item at Goodwill in hopes I could buy it back.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi there just another quick update! So I did have to move back to Colorado for a few months. My daughter moved to California and I ended up doing another van run with a 4x6 trailer to Delaware for the last time. If I were to do it again I would still do the van and U-Haul trailer route. Both trips were uneventful and very little stress. I was tempted to hire full-on-movers to do it all because it all seemed so overwhelming but in the end I do think that one has to just set their mind to baby steps and sort their stuff. I ended up moving a lot of duplicate items but I've used them to start up a stock-pile rather than donating "perfectly good things" if they were useful AND sentimental.

I'm very happy in Delaware! I love it! I still need to land a job, I had a temporary one and it fell through so am actively looking. I used the money from the sale of my house to pay down numerous credit cards and a loan that I had. I have my emergency fund in place but it may need to be used for this coming month's bills if something doesn't happen soon in the job department. No regrets just some nervousness in regards to being unemployed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Mahalo for the update and good luck on the job - you are one resourceful woman!

Just had to share a tip from a neighbor - take pictures of non essential treasures - always brings on smiles to the heart!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

thanks for the update. i am glad that all went well for you. enjoy your life in delaware with you new husband.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12