What does YOUR retirement community need to have? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The only advantage to moving for us would be we would be closer to the girls. We would be going into a higher cost of living area. We would probably do away with the car. We would be in a condo. Not bad, but expensive. We would be in or near a major university and it's hospital. However, I am concerned we still could not afford that lifestyle. We seriously need to check it out further. Condo fees in the area are around $500/mth.-$1000/mth. at the moment. They have a tendency to change...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Peanut, I love your list. It's very well thought out. Our town here has a wonderful library: a Carnegie library. We utilize it heavily! Also we are within walking distance of our grocery store and bank. That's both exercise and economy.

One thing that they don't have here, which we had in our former community is OATS (older adult transportation service). These were small busses that picked up senior citizens only for shopping and appointments. They also had short trips for seniors to cultural events, etc. That was very nice and just a nominal fee.
    Spiritual:
    "You are fearfully and wonderfully made." Please... respect life.

Financial:
    Debt free, hoping to stay that way!

MY BLOG: glorybug.wordpress.com

1. Keep on writing.
    2. Get some balance in my life.
    3. Lose weight. Hopefully 20# this year.
    4. Continue to be looking for how God wants to use me this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There is a local bus one day a week here for seniors to go shopping and to the clinic. It used to cost a dollar to ride it. Not sure if that was round trip or one way. All the locals know not to go to the grocery stores that day as it's busy then!

Peanut, that does sound expensive. I can see where it would take a lot of consideration.

I don't know how it is in large cities in Canada, but I've never felt safe on large college campuses or in downtown metro areas. Having lived in Minneapolis for four years, I can safely say there were many times I was grateful to be in my own car rather than on a bus or on the street, just because of things I observed happening from my car in various areas. I think it would be even worse if I had been elderly in those situations. The bus ride we took was one of the places we felt very vulnerable, stuck in a tube with a bunch of other people, some of whom seemed dangerous or deranged. I would hate to go back to living where we lived for so many reasons: Crime, traffic, noise, pollution, etc. I'm glad for the experience though. We learned a lot while we were there. Mostly that living in a large city has its positives, but overall the negatives outweighed them and we would never want to be in a large city again.

We were talking about this very thing last night and agreed we wouldn't feel unsafe anywhere in town here, at any time of the day or night. That's worth a lot to us and I'm sure it will be a factor in our decision at some point.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the info SD........wrote down the model number, will do some more checking on it. Like that idea.

You are soooooo right about small towns! They do have their benefits!

The towing a vehicle is the main reason I don't want a motor home.
    I think an old lady on a small scooter might be a bit much for traveling when I get some place!!

My mom and dad started with a TT and then went to 5th wheel. He liked the way it towed much better. Have spent some time reading some sites/blogs about each and have a friend that has owned two RV places for help and suggestions.

I would just much rather have a MH here and one down south.....much easier traveling. Have 'towed things' before.........but I was MUCH YOUNGER.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hensley Arrow hitches make bumper pull TT's much easier to tow, from what I understand. But they're very spendy.

We like the idea of an A frame for ease of towing. We're towing with a half-ton truck right now and don't want to have to move up. Who knows what will happen?

I'm also intrigued with teardrops but can't seem to make the idea work for us. Wish we could though.

I'm trying to figure out how to make something like our Astro van work, too. That has some potential but of course wouldn't have the comforts of even a small trailer. But it would be nice not to have to tow. OTOH, towing keeps our speed down to about 60 mph, so we're actually saving gas by towing our pop up.

Registered User Droppedonmyhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I retired in November of 2010. I moved to the next town over which is actually the largest city in the county. I wanted a condo that I could feel safe in for years to come. Safety is a HUGE factor and concern for me being a single woman. I did buy a condo that I absolutely love and feel very safe in.

The area where I now live has nearly everything I could possibly want or need within a 2 mile radius. I love that. There are many stores and restaurants down the road if I wish to venture out. I have so many choices that I didn't have in the town I moved from. Thankfully, there is no doctor shortage here. In fact years ago, my favorite doctor moved to this city and now that I am here, I was able to become his patient again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Lori, that sounds like a great situation.

Your avatar is way too happy being a kid again!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Spirit Dear,
    I can't answer your PM because I am too new.
    Send me an e-mail [email protected]

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks. E mail sent your way.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We're still contemplating. I doubt we'll resolve this issue anytime soon.

It finally occurred to me that, even though we live several miles in the country, it's a very easy drive due to there being little traffic and low speed limits. So it's not as bad as if we would have to be elderly drivers dealing with heavy traffic at highway speeds.

It also occurred to us we could buy a really nice plow truck to deal with our driveway for what it would cost us to move out of state.

I think we've put the money part of it to rest, at least for now. We should be able to afford the taxes to stay here, but then a lot depends on what health care will cost by then.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    We're still contemplating. I doubt we'll resolve this issue anytime soon.

Time will tell with me.........don't know if this post 'motivated' me to get busy or what............BUT........I called a 'realtor friend' yesterday to see what was 'out there' in this area for what I want. She is going to email me things as they come available.........I prefer to look at the outside 'on my own'..........

At this point I figure if it is supposed to happen something will be there......otherwise, maybe it wasn't meant to be. Have spent a lot of time on CL and can't find anything in this area........for the area that I want to live in.......will be interesting.

The THOUGHT of moving about gags me!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm not wild about moving either, but we are estranged from our kids through no fault of our own, and that's not likely to change. That means we have no one who will sit us down someday and lovingly or not so lovingly tell us it's time to get off the old homestead. So we have to work on recognizing when that time comes for ourselves. And we have to start now to mentally prepare for that eventuality. Notice I did not say 'possibility'. I think it's a foregone conclusion we're not going to be in the best situation if we stay here into our old age.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile some hopes and dreams

I'm hanging on till retirement in 6 1/2 yrs.; I have lots of medical problems now, with mobility issues, and a work shortage.
    I've lived on a homestead, a farm, in a village, a farm, a medium-sized town, a city, a small town during my lifetime.
    Right now, I live in a townhouse in public housing in a small town, and am struggling to make ends meet as a music teacher, crippled by my 2007 flu shot.

Most likely, I will be downsized if my work & income continue to decrease, and student enrollment has been dwindling steadily since my illness. But right now, I still manage to make some income, and am also living on my savings.
    The Housing Authority will probably be pushing me into a small bachelor apartment sooner or later. And if and when that happens, I will cut off the internet (or maybe sooner), cut off the phone, and live a bare minimum existence on my savings till I reach age 65 and can access my Old Age Pension. It's going to be rough, but I do have many coping skills and am used to independence. I've been downsizing my posessions for years, but also want to resource everything to the max.

But when my OAP kicks in, I will actually have more money coming in per month (around $600 per month) than I've ever had in my lifetime. And at that point I will also qualify for a Guaranteed Income Supplement for low-income Seniors, which is about another $500 per month. So, if and when that happens (hopefully our government won't destroy these programs), I will then be able to start living well, and even saving money to do what I really want to do, either go back to my home-town or to the city, where I can live where I want, away from undesirable tenants (which has constantly been my experience).

First, I would like to live in the city again for a few years, and get my fill of the arts and goods and services, and public transportation, and all of the great entertainment activities, and build myself up again. (I feel very depleted and hemmed-in after living in a small town for 14 years, constantly giving to the community, with no replenishment.) Possibly, I will spend some time in volunteer work again, health & circumstances permitting. I would like to take some personal development courses again.

But after that, when it's time, I'd like to move back to my home-town again, and with all my affairs in order, take a little apartment, where things are well-looked-after, and die in my home, and be buried in the family cemetery. I have no more faith in the medical system, so when it's time for me to go, I won't be bothering them.

Things I still want to do in my old age:
    - church attendance and Ladies' Bible Study
    - keep & play my musical instruments
    - have friends in for tea and crafting
    - buy a good mobility scooter
    - fishing
    - reading
    - crafting
    - nature outings
    - keep as active as possible
    - hire people to do things for me that I can't do for myself

I still dream of having a little cottage or mobile home by a lake.
    And I still have some far-out dreams, and who knows, since I'm unconventional, maybe I'll actually fulfill them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    I'm not wild about moving either,.
    I think if I could some close to finding what I want........that would improve the 'thinking' about moving.....but I have truly been looking for awhile (2 years or more).......as time permitted.

I want to get rid of this place just due to the upkeep that I have to do........not maintenance..........but lawn, garden, etc. Not even sure I would sell it..........might rent it out. Have to find something else first.
    But.....have decided that if I stay here, I will just hire it done.
    Still might buy something down south.......after renting for a year or so........during the winter.

Have been taking more serious steps with my plans in the last year.
    (think the lawn gets bigger each year!! )

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well hopefully I can stay on my little farm until they cart me off in a pine box! I have no desire to ever live in a city, no matter how convenient it can be.
    I am lucky that my girls are both 35 years old, and they can help me a lot when I get older, plus I will hire out some of the yard duties if need be.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast