What does YOUR retirement community need to have? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like where I live now. A college town with good services, 10 minutes from two decent hospitals and less than that to several decent family practicioners. The problem: it is snowy and cold from mid september to mid April, which is perfectly fine by me but not so much for hubby. Not sure what we will do but I agree with Lady V, I need to be no more than 15 minutes out from a decent hospital.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We've almost decided we need to do everything we can to stay right here. We just went out and measured for the deck we intend to build this year, and made sure if we ever need to add a wheelchair ramp, there would still be room to add it.

Our problem is the intangibles. There is so much here that's of great value to us, the wildlife, the lake, those kinds of thing. We're trying to decide if it's worth it to live where we're not as happy just so we can be nearer to a bigger hospital vs. staying here where so much else is set up perfectly for us. It's a hard choice.

I think we'll be working on getting our place ready to enable us to stay right here as long as we can. We sort of had that in mind when we built this house. It's all on one level, has an open floor plan, walk-in shower, etc, so has a lot of what we might need if we ever needed a home with good handicap access. We're not ruling any options out though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    We're not ruling any options out though.
    And if you get on the "really want to move" bandwagon..........go look at a couple things!!

I went to look at an area last week.............UGH!

Made my house look much better..........have 'almost' given up expecting to find what I want around here.........in the area that I want it since I won't go 'up north' to live.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We've been looking at housing online in our current main areas of interest. Not as much bang for the buck as right here, unfortunately, or maybe fortunately. Another advantage of staying in our current town would be, if we decided to move into town, we are already familiar with various neighborhoods and their proximity to other locations in town.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We just got back from visiting a friend who retired to one of the "Sun City" type places - he loves it, but I was cringing the whole time I was there. While it was nice, I just could not see myself living there. There was such a feeling of "doing things to fill up your days" - clubs, activities, etc. To me that equals "waiting to die".

I get enough of that when we are south for the winter. I am so glad to come back to my little house and land where there is stuff I NEED to do -it feels more like real life.

I told our friend, "I think I prefer living in an UN-planned community." I enjoy being around a variety of people, young and old, sane and crazy, rich and poor. Plus I love my privacy, we have over 40 acres and it is very quiet and peaceful here.

I figure, when we can no longer keep up with the maintenance, we can pay someone to do what needs to be done, and it will still be cheaper than the association fee on a condo.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We're sorta thinking along the same lines, paying for what we can't do ourselves later.

We would have to be some kind of desperate to settle for living anywhere with association fees or HOAs or anything like that. We want to be able to do what we want with what WE own. Some of those HOA rules are just crazy. We also will probably always want a fenced yard and we're hoping to need a place to park an RV for a long time after retirement.

I've thought the same about retirement villages too. My mom lives in a small town that's not an actual retirement community, but due to low housing prices and some other factors, it's pretty much become one. All her friends are old people with lots of health issues, and that's all they seem to talk about. It's like a contest amongst them to see who can claim the 'prize' of being the worst off. They depress each other and feed off each others' misery, it seems.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234