Stay-at-home Wives? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Could you eat it if you pick out the pie crust bits? Or does just the fact they're mixed in with the other stuff cause a problem? I know next to nothing about gluten allergies.

I wonder what would happen if I tried hacking those Blizzards. I already have an ice cream recipe that's similar to DQ's ice cream. I wonder what would happen if I added more sugar or Splenda to the recipe and put in some pumpkin pie spices and pumpkin. Vanilla wafers crushed up would make a good substitution for the pie crust bits. I bet that would work! I might have to think about that. Those Blizzards are riDQlously expensive, too!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

it is a mixed in thing and a cross contamination thing. Really is is a huge pain in the butt thing! I shouldn't complain.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I see. Thanks for info. That IS a big pain!

Do you make homemade ice cream? I bet there's a recipe out there for pumpkin ice cream.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh, man. Bing is my friend! I think. Or maybe not:
    pumpkin ice cream recipe - Bing

I will DEFINITELY be trying one or more of these!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love pumpkin anything, too. How did you make the pumpkin smoothie? I have canned pumpkin, plain Greek yogurt, bananas.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    Could you eat it if you pick out the pie crust bits? Or does just the fact they're mixed in with the other stuff cause a problem? I know next to nothing about gluten allergies.

I wonder what would happen if I tried hacking those Blizzards. I already have an ice cream recipe that's similar to DQ's ice cream. I wonder what would happen if I added more sugar or Splenda to the recipe and put in some pumpkin pie spices and pumpkin. Vanilla wafers crushed up would make a good substitution for the pie crust bits. I bet that would work! I might have to think about that. Those Blizzards are riDQlously expensive, too!
    That sounds pretty good!

I don't make ice cream so far. For the pumpkin smoothy's I mix in 1/3-1/2 can of pumpkin with a a few oz cream cheese, almond milk or heavy cream, xylitol and pumpkin pie spice with ice. It is pretty yummy!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OH my yummyness SD!!!! Peanut sorry if this makes you hungry!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My apologies, too, peanut. Seems like I'm always getting involved in one of your threads that have nothing to do with me. I'm not Canadian. I'm not a wife. But I love pumpkin.

So, for the pumpkin smoothie the only thing I have on hand is the pumpkin. But I can get the other stuff. Xylitol is out for me but I can use plain sugar. You know what? I have an excellent pumpkin pie recipe that uses Eagle Brand milk and all the spices. I bet EB Milk would be great in a pumpkin smoothie, too. Oh, boy...and to think my jeans were tight today.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LOL! Poor Peanut. This one has really gone off the rails, hasn't it? It's funny how conversations can wander.

That does sound really good, Nod.

Ice cream is easy. I make it with two cans evaporated skim milk, 2/3 c. sugar or Splenda, and then flavoring like maple or vanilla or peppermint, whatever extract sounds good. You can make it in a couple Ziploc bags if you don't have an ice cream freezer. We have one, and an ice cream ball for camping. Here are instructions for using freezer bags. I would double bag it, especially the inner bag. How to Make Homemade Ice Cream in a Ziploc Bag - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OK, the ziplock ice cream recipe is saved, too. I have an ice cream freezer but never use it as it makes way too much. This is perfect! Pumpkin smoothies and homemade ice cream? Life is good!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That does sound easy! I do have an ice-cream machine I have never ever used. I wonder if Peanut will get a sudden pumpkin or ice cream craving when reading this

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hope not. I don't think she can have dairy.

We use our ice cream freezer a lot and freeze the leftovers. Ours makes about a half gallon. I scored evaporated skim milk for .25/can over the summer and I bought two cases, so we've been having ice cream a lot! It's good after it's been in the freezer if we leave it out a little while till it's soft-serve consistency again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

She can use my almond milk recipes then Wow I'd buy 2 cases at that price also!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know! I couldn't pass it up. It was even Carnation brand, so a bigger deal yet since that's a more expensive brand. We quit buying ice cream because it's so expensive and has so much bad stuff in it, and we really like homemade ice cream so this was perfect.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I should be fully engaged in the GF / dairy-free discussion but instead I'll answer the original question.

Years ago, before we adopted DD, hubby and I were in early retirement. I didn't work and he worked part-time to retain our benefits. Our other children were all grown. We were completely child-free.

Not working was hard. There was always this assumption that if you quit working before you were a senior citizen then there must be some profound reason. People assumed I had cancer ... or I was going to find the cure for cancer. People figured I was going to go back to college or write a novel. People said they couldn't imagine what they'd do all day if they weren't working.

Really?

That struck me as not only odd, but really, really sad.

The interesting thing is, once you're not slaving away 9 to 5 M-F, you awaken to a whole world of other people who also don't work.

Now it isn't all fun and games. There is a period of depression after you quit working even if it is by choice. Our work, no matter what it is, makes up a part of our identity. When we quit working, we have to redefine who we are. The depression is just part of that process.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast