Stay-at-home Wives? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yipes! Giving a furnace a check up is a safety issue!

Which reminds me, I need to call our gas company to get our annual check done on both of our furnaces.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by thinkgreen View Post
    Just a comment on the handicapped parking SueBee. Those people making snarky comments may not be aware that many people who have no handicap park their vehicles in handicapped spots because they are picking up a loved one who does have a handicap. If the people waited they may see the driver return with their loved one who uses a cane or walker or wheelchair. Of course this could also work in reverse that they are returning to the car after having just dropped off their loved one. As you say, some people have unseen handicaps but some people are also assisting people who have visible or invisible handicaps.
    Very good point, thinkgreen. I was thinking more in terms of people that might have respiratory handicaps from lung diseases. Often, those people appear to be fine, but have great difficulty breathing. Occasionally I will see someone who has obviously "borrowed" a handicap sticker using one of the designated spaces and it irritates me, but nothing can be done about it. And on the other side of the coin, those that actually have handicap plates but really don't need them. I have a friend like that. Has a "disabled vet" plate and uses it on a regular basis. But she runs agility with her dog.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

[QUOTE=SueBee49;4111558379Occasionally I will see someone who has obviously "borrowed" a handicap sticker using one of the designated spaces and it irritates me, but nothing can be done about it.[/QUOTE]

That's actually illegal in Minnesota. If the handicapped person who owns the placard is not getting out of the car, it's illegal for an able-bodied person to use the handicapped site, even if the handicapped person is in the car. The thing is sometimes people don't look handicapped but are, so it's hard to know.

But I think you have to be pretty low to take a handicapped spot you're not entitled to. My mom is handicapped due to post-polio syndrome, and it's irritating when we can't find a place to park near where she needs to be. I'm sure it irritates others, too, because I will drive her right up to the door if I have to, and shamelessly hold up traffic while she gets out, which can take a while. Sorry to do that, but too bad, my mom's well-being trumps inconveniencing other people. But by the same token, I'm very patient when I'm the one being inconvenienced by others in a similar situation.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's illegal here, too, SD, but as you said, difficult to identify. If you do get caught parking in a handicap space, the fine is very significant. A few years back in this apartment complex, some people started parking in the handicap spots at night. This went on for a time. You can imagine their surprise when they walked out one morning and found tickets on their cars.
    Now one of the things that irritates me is the parking spaces for pregnant mothers-to-be. I think those women actually need to walk for the exercise. I'd much rather see the spots designated for old people. Seriously, tho', you've seen them...limping along with a cane, barely making it, but not "handicapped" in the medical sense. I always feel bad when I see that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Spots for pregnant women? That's a new one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

All over the place here. At my favorite store, the first spot of every aisle is designated for pregnant women. The handicap spots are across the front of the store.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Interesting.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Re: Pumpkin Pie Blizzard - you can ask them to not put the cookie/crust bits in. Just the pumpkin & spices with the ice cream is just as tasty!! But you could ask about the gluten issue to be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by SueBee49 View Post
    CL, your post made me think of handicap parking spaces. I've seen so many people give nasty looks or make snarky comments to or about people parking in those spaces. So often you see people park there, get out and walk normally into the store. We humans tend to think a person has to have a "visible" disability to be disabled. Otherwise, it doesn't count.
    DH has a handicap pass and a cane. When people see us - a youngish looking couple pull up into those spots, the dirty looks we get. Especially from seniors that aren't handicapped. Some have even waited to give us a few choice words until they see DH step out. It seems that the stereotype is handicap = frail senior (plus all the other things mentioned)

Our biggest beef with those spots, people that park in the regular spot next to the handicap and cross over into it, leaving their car parked on an angle - especially when its a smaller car that doesn't need to park on an angle. Just a lazy driver. DH likes to mention the fine associated with 'parking' in a handicap spot w/o a permit and he also mentions that he has no qualms about reporting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    Spots for pregnant women? That's a new one.
    We have pregnant/expectant mothers/family parking spots as well right up next to the handicaps but get this - I've started seeing 'Eco/Green' car parking spots RIGHT UP FRONT next to those. I pulled into one and got told I wasn't driving and 'eco' vehicle. I told them I was b/c this was no longer a huge diesel pick up truck and walked away into the store. Legally, you can not be ticketed for parking in those spots. They're there as a 'courtesy' to customers. Handicap parking spots are a whole other ballgame.

Sorry peanut, I'm a SAHW nor a third ager but thought I'd share here as well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We have the spots for pg women and women with young kids in strollers...right across from the handicapped spaces.

I'm with you, Sue Bee, on the spaces for elderly people with obvious mobility issues.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

ONe of my best buddies is very handicapped. I can't tell you how many times in our younger years ( when she could still drive) that she would pull into a space and some idiot would yell at her or shake their fist at her before she got out of the car. Sadly they all seemed to be older people that did it. Boy did their opinion change once they saw her get out of the car. I'm not sure why people think they have the right to judge who has a handicap or not.

As far as the taxes go every year just for fun and because I LOVE doing taxes I run ours both with my part time income and without. I am seriously doing my job the few hours a week I work for the social aspect once you see the figures.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Eco spots now? Sheesh. I need to get out more. I'd be tempted to ask the manager of such a place if my money wasn't 'green' enough for him/her and then take my business elsewhere, just on general principle.

I've seen a lot of ways businesses are trying to cash in on the whole 'green' marketing scheme, but parking spots? Wow. Not that we'd care since we really like our cars, so we tend to park farther out in the lots where there aren't other cars around anyway, especially if we're towing our un-green trailer (oh, wait, that actually IS "green") with our un-green truck. The only thing that gripes me are the handicapped spots and then only when I'm trying to get my mom safely into somewhere.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have posted a few times about quitting my job. I am almost 48 years old, one still in college, 2 now on their own, 1 getting married (yes, we are paying for it, long story, but it is a frugal wedding) and I work 2 dead end jobs and I am so...tired. I work full time with severely handicapped 2-5 yrs. old, and work at a catering co, the month of Oct. I have 4 days off total. I only make $800 a month full time for 6 years, but have good health benefits, catering job $8 an hour, I can quit full time job, get DH's ins. which is more expensive and not as good, and after paying bills food gas loans etc. will have $700-1000 a month left to pay off debt and save. DH is wanting me to quit, because I am always tired, mentally and physically, get sick from the germs of the kids, etc. I really don't think the $800 a month is worth it anymore, I have no life, and have had some health issues which the dr.s said is stress, and to get rid of some...hahha I will have to work another 17 years to make $19,000.00 a year, I talked to the schools financial director to get this info. I can to many frugal things at home to help financially, would like to to quit in the next few months and I am going to take my retirement $$ and the penalty, it isn't much but will help us out. I know people will disagree with this, but there are too many reasons to type here why I need to do this about the retirement $$ . I am scared but need to put my health first, I am too old and too tired to keep working these low paying jobs and busting my hump at them with no $$$$, thanks for letting me vent.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We all have to make our own decisions regarding work vs. staying at home based on what is best for us, our families, our health. Based on what you just wrote, I can't say I find any fault in your plan. Working that many hours with just those few days off would wear on anyone. Additionally, the job you have caring for severely handicapped young children would be mentally taxing, I'm sure.
    The only thing I find fault with is the statement "I'm too old." We can talk "too old" if you wish, but I've got you there. I do understand what you mean, tho', about being too old and too tired to work that hard in such low paying jobs. I'm thinking you'll be far less stressed and able to focus on living a frugal lifestyle without the jobs and thus making up most of the salary difference. And who knows? With less stress and time, you might stumble onto a job you would really enjoy. Best of luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SueBee you said what I was going to say. And Buckeye, thanks for posting about what it's like on the other side of the fence from where I am! I needed that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Husband just "approved" my request to drop to part-time after I move to be with him. I had brought up the discussions of this thread and the idea of it. Thanks, ladies!

The sale of my house will cut out my debts and I want to focus on saving money at home with gardening, do-it-yourself tasks, and be a part-time-wifey if that makes sense. This summer I spent two months out there with him (my current job has summers off) and it was SO GREAT to be a "wifey" again, made his lunches, dinner, cleaned house, it was just great. I say if it works for you, DO IT!! I don't want to be totally unemployed because I'll hermit-up and get depressed so I'm going to try and get back into some job-fields that I have wanted to do but couldn't live on the income of them when I was a single parent raising my kids. SO EXCITED.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast