How to survive till/past 65! - Page 14
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I heard something recently that I like:

Within our limitations, we are limitless.

I think it may have been meant as joke, but I found it inspiring.

We do have limitations. But sometimes we sell ourselves short because of them. We do not have to say, I can't do much because I have [fill in the blank]. We can still strive to do more and be more and have the best left we can within those limits.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Absolutely, Kathy B; if we make the most of what we have now, it opens the way to future possibilities, and that is a cycle that keeps repeating itself.
    Thanks for your replies, folks; it always does me good when someone drops into this thread to add their input, and I get so much comfort and support from you.

Things have continued to quiet down in the building I live in...the traffic flow used to be heavy day and night within the other units, and quite noisy, but it seems that the incident has caused them to change their habits somewhat, and I am getting some peace and quiet anyway. I am quite concerned about the issues that have surfaced, and am praying for the people involved...the victims and the abusers. Only God knows what forces have influenced and pressured them throughout their lives into involvement and continual entrapment in the terrible cycles of various abuses.
    But I know from experience that Christ can set people free. I know that He is real, and He can save and heal the abused, and deal with the abuser.
    There is a verse in the Bible that states:
    "Because of fear of death, they are all their lifetime subject to bondage."
    And in consideration of what some people have experienced of suffering and intimidation while being under the control and cruelty of others, it is no wonder that victims cannot speak out or even escape sometimes. More is known and being done nowadays about this vicious cycle, but much remains to be done. More "safe houses" are needed, and access to the authorities and places that really care and can help. Let us pray that God will overthrow these dens of iniquity, and that truth, justice, freedom, hope and help will instead prevail.

I am almost finished making my first pair of thrummed mittens (for my granddaughter). I used up a stash of different colours of pink yarns, and still have some left over. Now for the finishing touches. I think the end result will be a gift-worthy item. They look so cute and snuggly-warm!
    It took me 3 days to make them...one day to make lots of mistakes on the cuffs and redo them, and test the pattern, one day for the first mitt, and another day for the second mitt; and more time to fix up a few more pattern errors. I worked away at it last night till I started feeling very tired. I looked at the clock and it was 1:30 AM, and there I was...knitting a mitten! And I still hadn't eaten supper, so did some quick cooking and finally got to bed at 2 AM, couldn't fall asleep, and was up at 7:30 AM again. But it was worthwhile. And, it just goes to show that it isn't just the teens and the 20 somethings that can pull an all-nighter. (hee-hee)

Today I bought 2 large bags of new yarn at the Thrift Shop for $1 each. The yarn is a brown & black slub weave yarn, and should be quite serviceable to make warm socks, etc. and there is enough of it for making many projects.
    I needed to get away from it all, so I'm here at the library for a little while. Incredibly, the weather is very soft and grey-skied, misty and warm today, with almost no snow on the ground.

Bye for now, buds!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi all,
    I'm very busy with my Christmas gift preparations, so haven't been out much lately.
    In the meantime, my birthday has come again and I am now 61 years old. So far, so good! I finished knitting the thrummed mitts for my grandkids, and sent them out with their other Christmas gifts, so am still in the thick of all my knitting for the rest of the family. Some patterns had errors, so I've done a lot of trial and error knitting, and feel very tired, but more knowledgable.

How's everybody doing?
    One night while I was knitting, I turned on the radio, and "The Canadian Tenors", now renamed "The Tenors" were featured singing their Christmas carol album "The Sounds of Christmas". Truly this is the most beautiful singing I have ever heard!
    So, here they are on Youtube videos. ENJOY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmmVsTCOBeI

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Happy belated birthday......glad you are doing okay....hang in there....enjoy reading your posts....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Christmas for less than a Dollar!

TALLY Ho-Ho-Ho!

Well...it's been very busy, as we all know!
    My baking's done, most of my cooking's done, the presents are prepped and sent.
    And I have my Christmas gift-giving cost tallied up now.
    This year, I gave 16 gifts. Out of these, I hand-crafted 9 of them, re-gifted 4 of them, and the rest of them were freebies I got with coupons.

So far, I have spent a total of 93 cents.

Here's how it went:
    For DS1 and DS3, I knitted heavy wool knee-high socks, and also sent along a crochetted dishcloth, a regifted pot scrubber and a freebie razor.
    For 2 of my grandkids, I knitted thrummed mittens, and also sent along crochetted bath-puffs. For their mom, I regifted a scarf.
    For my other grandchild, I knitted a baby afghan, and monogrammed it, and also made a Jingle Bell toy, suitable for play of for hanging on the tree.
    For my students, I handcrafted some Christmas tree ornaments.
    For other family members, I regifted one item, and got the other item as a freebie with a great coupon at an in-store sale.
    My costs were 10 cents for postage, 45 cents for postage, and 38 cents for taxes.
    The parcels I sent out cost about 37 dollars, but I had already bought the stamps last winter, so the expense is tallied for the month I bought them.
    It was a joy to work on so many of their gifts, thinking of them and praying for them as I worked. The only problem I had was with the last one I got as a coupon-freebie at a store; the merchandise was mixed up and the sales tags were in the wrong place, causing problems at the till, and the clerk was very rude to deal with, but I held my ground and was able to get one of the items I wanted.
    But I must admit that I really feel quite downcast after dealing with this loud, rude, angry clerk. Oh well...that's over.

I was also fortunate to have a 10 dollar rebate on 2 bottles of Woolite dark wash laundry detergent, which I will send in for reimbursement asap.
    And at the other little grocery store here, I was fortunate to find an entire shipment of grains cooking cereal on sale (it had just passed expiry, so I bought 3 boxes at a discount of $3 per box, took them home and opened one, and it had nothing wrong with the cereal at all...no rancid taint or anything else'. So I phoned the store, and asked if I could buy the other boxes of cereal too. And guess what! The clerk said yes, and she gave me an extra discount too...I got those 8 boxes for only 2 dollars a box. I opened them at home, and they are perfectly fine! So, I filled empty plastic ice-cream gallon pails, and froze them in my freezer. I can take out as much as I need from time to time to mix my cooking cereal in glass jars which I keep in my kitchen cupboard. So, that was a savings of about $40, since I buy it for about $5.79 per box every month. Great deal, eh?

In addition to that, this store was also offering a mug of free hot apple cider and Christmas snack, with every purchase, so I was able to sample their freebies, and have a couple of nice chats with the friendly clerk there...which helped to dissipate some of the disgruntlement I felt after dealing with that other clerk someplace else.

I'm on holidays now, and it sure is nice to start to return to normal again. Toward the end of my busy schedule, I was actually hand-crafting till the wee hours of the morning, and waking up about 4:30 AM, and cooking and baking from that time on.
    I am now officially in "escape mode", as I recover from all of my preparations.
    So, I'm here at the library getting a reprieve, and some books, and plan to do a lot of relaxed reading for the next 2 weeks.
    I've got family coming out for a visit, so that will be nice.

Hope everyone has a safe and happy Christmas. God bless you all!
    Bye for now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

PS: (more Tally HO-H0-H0!)

Just remembered that I also was able to get my turkey on sale, and saved about $10 there.
    And I received 2 gift cards from one sister, which I will save to regift to my grandkids for their birthdays next summer.
    I also received $20 from another sister, and used it to buy the hot grain cereal deal.
    And my students gave me ornaments, and some CHOCOLATES!!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Merry Christmas, Incognito. I hope your 2015 is blessed.
    Kim
    The Lord will provide

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Way to go woman! You rock! Christmas for $1?! You are my idol. I am afraid our Christmas cost a wee bit more than that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here again...

If only other factors had been as great as my Christmas spending tally!
    But they weren't.
    Serious abuse problems in the neighboring units (before, during and after Christmas) made the days and nights a terror and a crying shame.
    Since then, I've had 2 quiet nights' sleep, and that has done wonders to begin to restore my mental and emotional balance again.

On the plus side, today I walked without a cane for the first time in over 7 years. Last year, I began to walk "without the use of a cane", and frequently was able to manage well, but always carried it along with me, just in case I needed it. But today, I left my cane at home. I still have a little stagger at times in my gait, but it is wonderful to be able to move independently again!

January is going to be a lean money month for me. That is because I spent a little over-budget in December. In order to qualify for the $10 discount on my turkey, I had to spend at least $100 in groceries, so I carefully planned that grocery-shopping trip and bought most of the food I'd need for January. Of course, that brings my January Variable Budget way down, but the freezer, cupboards and pantry are well-stocked again. I am also still in "Personal Escape Mode", in regards to wanting to go out and about to stores in January...unless a really good deal presents itself.

Because family is still coming out to visit me, I spent the time from Christmas Day to New Year's Day hand-crafting 3 more gifts for them.
    And I have finally reached my absolute limit of output, am exhausted, and just want to rest. However, I have a lot of cleaning to do to prepare for their visit, because I let some of that go while I was busy hand-crafting. I also made and froze some cookie dough logs, and thawed them out for some quick on-the-spot baking before their visit. About this time, people aren't all that hungry, because they've been feasting and overindulging for the past couple of weeks, and tea and cookies is about all they really want.

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2015 TO EVERYBODY!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sorry to hear you have to put up with hearing all the abuse around you. Not good! Great news you can walk without your cane! Hope you have a frugal and fun January.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

After checking out my budget, I now realize that I have a maximum of $30 to use for my January's variable budget. So I've decided to spend it on buying milk and possible lean ground beef, or maybe some apples.
    Meals will consist of :
    - homemade soup
    - pasta
    - homemade pizza
    - fish
    - eggs
    - flatbreads
    - pancakes
    - turkey livers (these are delicious chopped and fried, and then mixed with mushroom soup for a gravy to pour over mashed potatoes)
    - rice and veggies
    - perogies

It's "ME-TIME" now, so this week I planned out my wardrobe alterations and priorities.
    I am recycling materials I have on hand in my extra closet, and there are numerous possibilities. My projects will include making wind-covers and liners for mittens, knitting light and heavy black socks, sewing storm-pants, and possibly dyeing some fur trim black on my parka.
    I've been studying various methods of fur-dying on the internet, and think the best way for me to do it is to remove the fur trim from the garment, then spray paint the fur with some acrylic paint by spraying paint on a toothbrush and then brushing the fur, and drying it lightly with a blow-dryer. I have a really nice piece of black fur trim on a coat hood, but the guard hairs were factory-painted green, and I want to re-paint the whole piece black, so am still trying to figure this out.

I took a few days off to recuperate from all of my crafting exertions, and had a lovely time with my sister during her recent visit.

Hope everybody is having a good January!

Also, I made a good start on crochetting a set of dishcloths and kitchen accessories for my niece as a graduation gift in June.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got a really great deal on apples, oranges and bananas, so used a bit of money there.
    It's really nice to have fruit in the fridge again. Still have about $7.50 left in January's budget.

Also, I've been working away on my own knitting projects...a hat, and matching mittens. Spent 2 days knitting and figuring out my own hat pattern, only to end up with the ugliest hat ever , so took it apart and just tried a few minutes working out my own Fair Isle pattern test swatch, and guess what...it worked! At last I have figured out how to knit Fair Isle technic, and can apply multiple colours to a knitting project. So I got going again on knitting a better hat, and it is turning out nicely. The hat is Ecru, with "fleur de lis stitch patterns" across it in Purple and Mauve. It is doubled, so has a lot of warmth. I'm half-done already, and all of the mistakes I made with the first hat, and the few things I did right are just the info I needed to apply towards this 2nd hat. The set will also match my parka, so I can have a fresh and presentable look.
    Another plus is that I've just extended my gift-giving possibilities by gaining this new skill.

January is half over, and today I heard the radio announcer cheerily stating that most people have given up their New Year's resolutions by now, and it doesn't really matter. I let that drift in one ear and out the other.
    As we all know, this site is all about people who actually are serious about their resolutions, whether they be made on January 1, or any other time throughout the year. And we are people who have come to realize that "it does matter".

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 ... LastLast