How to survive till/past 65! - Page 2
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I agree with Brat. Repairing the cord might be a little more cost effective but since it is used outside on a tool that draws quite a bit of power, it is safer you purchased a new one.

Do you drink tea? I drink quite a bit and use wild chamomile to make it. It grows right out in the yard so it certainly is handy. I realize with all the spraying that is going on, you might want to pass on it this year, but it might be something you would like to try next year...if they don't contaminate everything again! I haven't tried drying it for winter use....actually never thought of drying it until now. Will have to check into it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good news! The railroad workers have moved a few blocks away now, and the air is now back to normal. Oh my, this is wonderful...to open a window, a door, to step outside and breathe air again!!!

I was able to get my cherry-tree pruning done, and now have space for a yard sale. From the branches, I salvaged 2 "Y" sticks to make sling-shots, and 1 big stick for a "thumper", just in case I need them while out wild-crafting. When I was a kid, my brother made a lot of sling-shots, and they are a powerful weapon...as long as you aim for the center, and don't accidentally hit for your own thumb or fingers. It takes me a while to raise my hand that far, and to grip and draw back the rubber sling-pieces, but it's worth pursuing the idea.

If I had the strength, I would have cut up the cherry tree branches for wood, and tried to sell them at my next yard sale. Some of them were about 3 inches across, but I had to borrow the saw from my landlord, and didn't want to abuse the privilege. I have 3 hand saws which have finally become almost unusable, they are so dull, and I have no idea how to sharpen them. Saving these for my next yard sale, because somewhere out there is somebody who buys second-hand tools and has a saw-sharpener.

I'm letting my garden grow out, hoping that the plants will absorb the contaminants, then I'll trash eveything, and hope for better things next year. On the plus side, my morning glories have begun to bloom, and I am enjoying a morning cuppa on my patio again.

With all this toxic spraying going on, some of it has entered the water system, and there were several days last week that my tap-water tasted strongly of dandelion killer, so I was praying that the authorities would deal with it. The water quality improved the next day, and now I have good water to boil and strain again for drinking/cooking. Isn't it regrettable how we take things for granted...the air we breathe, the water we drink, the food we eat? When something goes wrong with these, we are in big trouble!

I appreciate the advice from other posters here, particularly regarding the power cord I bought for mowing my lawn. It's better to be safe, than sorry; and the rest of the cord is all twisted; I'll save it for my next yard-sale, just in case some expert wants to buy it cheap or get it free.

I've been reading a very compelling book about how to survive.
    It's called "Two Old Women" (A story of betrayal, courage and survival), by Velma Wallis. The book is about 2 old women (age 75 and 80) abandoned by their tribe in Alaska during a winter of severe hunger and desparation, and how they survived alone, to see better days again. The strengths learned and lived by these 2 old women are truly inspiring!

Must take a break here as I haven't recovered yet from yesterday's tree-pruning, and need some bed-rest again.
    Everybody have a great week!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am so glad to read that they have stopped spraying in your area incognito and that you are now able to enjoy the outdoors once again. Good luck at your yard sale and making those sling shots! May I suggest you look up on youtube or the web to find out how to sharpen those saw blades? It might be cheaper than buying a new saw. Have a wonderful week!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you paint those saws are really pretty with something painted on them..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh Brat that was what I was going to suggest...flowers, vines..Oh Incognito if you lived near by I would get hubby to sharpen them for you... good luck with your yard sale..

Oh that books sounds wonderful..

I am so glad they quit spraying...

U have made me think about much space I have wasted in my yard... U make me think a lot.....

could I grow dandelions in pots like spinach, lettuce? I love dandelions...
    Oh sling shots those hurt....

hugs

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's interesting about the carrot tops regrowing. I was recently surprised to learn that celery will regrow. I cut off the root and set it in water. After a bout a month it had strong roots. I planted it in the container garden on my porch and it's doing well. I tried garlic. At first it was growing well and then it died back. Supposedly onions can be regrown from the root as well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mauimagic View Post
    What a great sharing of your journey. Funny that even though we are all living different lives, there are so many similarities!

Don't know if I missed you mentioning it, but have you ever sprouted different beans - so nutritious and easy!
    That's interesting. Can you sprout any kind of bean? What's good to do with the sprouts?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Regarding chocolate: I have a "thing" for chocolate. It's quite expensive as candy bars or as chocolate chips. Toward the end of the month I make a substitute at home. It's 1 part cocoa powder and 2 to 3 parts sugar. This satisfies my body's chocolate craving at a much lower cost. It's lactose free, very low fat. It's also good with nuts or seeds or raisins in it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nice to hear from so many of you!
    Yes, dandelions will grow in a small pot; it's better if it's tall enough for the root, though. I have 2 shallow planters planted with dandelions right now, though I had to bend the roots a little to fit. They are doing just great, but too toxic to eat from all the spraying nearby.
    I will check on the internet about how to sharpen a saw...good idea, if I've got the right tools on hand.
    And that's a great way to satisfy the chocolate cravings...a really good substitute!

Well, this week I made it out to the city to get some MTS phone cards from the place I last got them. And they had none, and aren't getting any more. And although I explained that this is the 4th time I've been stonewalled about this issue, the clerk didn't care one iota. I may register a formal complaint to MTS about this issue, since they've given me the run-around from start to finish. And it cost me nearly $20 for the trip-fare!

While I was there, I decided to grocery shop for essentials, and hit some good deals at the grocery stores. In the long run, I spend $200 on groceries and office supplies, and saved $150, which is what it would have cost me extra if I had shopped locally. And since I was going to buy all these things anyway, I have a savings of $150 on my budget for the next 3 months, once I've done the averaging. At one store, I also got the Senior's Discount, and won a free apple juice. At the office supply center, I got a free $10 Sears gift card with my purchase of printer ink. The ink cost over $62, and I always hate to spend that amount of money, but it couldn't be helped. Well, my cupboards and fridge are fuller, and I won't have to buy these items for many months. I also got 3 small bags of sugar for $10, vingegar and pickling salt on sale, and a surprise deal on corn at my local grocery store: 5/$1.00. This morning, I got to the Farmer's Market, and bought a bag of cucumbers for $1, 2 peppers for $1, a big bag of beets for $2, and a big zucinni for $1, and they gave me another big zucinni FREE. So my fridge is nicely full. I have been feeling very hungry for a few weeks now, missing out on my garden produce, and cutting back on spending, so it was a real blessing to hit all these great food deals this week at last!

During my trip, I encountered a total of 5 crabby/don't know/don't care clerks, and 4 really nice ones, who simply beamed with good-will and helpfulness...nice to see that it's not a lost art nowadays.

Today again, it's extremely muggy and hot with a high of 32 degrees Celcius expected; the next few days are forecasted for rain, so I want to get some housecleaning done, and blanch a few veggies for the freezer. I still have to go wildcrafting for some decent dandelions/plantain/purslane to blanch and freeze for the winter, but I haven't had the time or health so far...my health is starting to improve a bit now that the air quality outside is better. So, I'm here in an air-conditioned library, just enjoying the time on FV.
    Have a great weekend, buds!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh incognito, what great deals you found! My Mom lives just west of you in Ontario and groceries are ridiculously expensive. She tells me some of the prices and I just cringe for her. Although I find the prices here in Minnesota are beginning to climb so we just might be passing you soon!

Thanks for the info on the dandelions. Good to know. You should definitely write a letter or email to MTS...that is poor customer service.

Glad your fridge is full and you will have rain soon. That will help with the residual chemicals.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, yesterday I got all 15 of my plant pots planted, to bring indoors later for the winter. To deal with any chemical pollution of the soil, I've decided to flush my plant pots will many waters, which should drain them of any chemical residue, and also dispose of bugs & worms. Will leave a saucer underneath to get a good kill. Then I'll trim off the leaves, and let them grow out again, and that new growth should be safe to eat.

So far I have pots of:
    dandelions
    purslane
    broadleaf plantain
    wood violets (chockful of Vitamin C)
    2 pots of Romaine lettuce (inner cores)
    celery (inner core)
    2 basil
    2 carrot tops
    1 beet tops
    dill
    green onions
    chives

There are also 2 tomato plants which are are quite compact and small-fruiting, and I might dig em up and plant them in planters for indoors.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Let us pray for our government leaders as they deal with the present crisis in the Middle East (Syria...unspeakable atrocities).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Rinsing them well with many waters should clean them out well incognito. Sounds like you have a lot of potted plants growing!

Prayers for peace.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

this article about dandelions showed up on my fb page this morning, I subscribe to their mag, anyway thought it would be a good read

The dandelion is a healthful, great tasting weed you can eat by Carol Williams Issue #44
    Terry

Jan grocery 129.57/275.00
    Jan coupon 1.00
    YTD grocery
    YTD coupon

New Recipe 1/24
    Items repurposed
    Twenty wishes 0/20

as of 1-11

Personal challenge, 5 A Day
    put away, throw away, give away
    at least 5 items a day

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the great article about dandelions, wunsagin.
    God has really provided well for us in regards to the nutritional value of this plant; as well, it's almost indestructible.
    But somewhere along the way, we got turned around by the "green lawn" industry.
    I'm glad to see the new gardening movement of having less and less grass in front and back yards, and more and more beautiful and edible plants.

I think I'll be able to harvest a lot of seeds from the "spoiled" plants of my garden. The lettuce, dill, beans, tomatoes are going to provide me with a lot of seed for next year, and when you think of the cost of flower and vegetable seed nowadays, that's a real savings. So, in spite of the loss, I should still have some gain.
    Another bit of good news: today I found a mallow plant in the front lawn, and dug it up and potted it. I want to try it out to make homemade marshmallows (that's what the plant roots are actually used for).
    My beet top pieces are already growing tiny new leaves. So far, so good on all the other plants I just potted. I think I can make room for them by setting 6 pots on my little step-ladder, then put the 3 larger ones on the floor in front of the big window; some of them do well in the shade, so they can go on top of my china cabinet hutch, and on the cabinet itself. I may also set a few on the main floor where the sunlight shines; visitors will have fun seeing those dandelions in the wintertime growing in pots in my living room! (hee hee)

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast